Old April 5th 19, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Three voicemail aggravation

"Woody" wrote in message
On Thu 04/04/2019 07:31, Roger wrote:
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 22:47:28 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?

I was going to say that!

In Cellnet's case (oh yes, it long long predates mmO2) they couldn't see
the market for texts so didn't want to pay the cost of including the
necessary software for it - remember Cellnet was part of super-tight BT!
Other SPs took the longer view.

no-on saw the market for texts when they were introduced.

it was a real surprise to everybody that they were so successful when
implemented

And they've been trying to find the "next" SMS ever since.

tim

Old April 5th 19, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

--
Roger

They do - prefix *0# on the text.
Old April 5th 19, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?

I was going to say that!

In Cellnet's case (oh yes, it long long predates mmO2) they couldn't see
the market for texts so didn't want to pay the cost of including the
necessary software for it - remember Cellnet was part of super-tight BT!
Other SPs took the longer view.

no-on saw the market for texts when they were introduced.

The networks created it in the mid 90's by having expensive calls, especially for young people on P&G tariffs.

Old April 5th 19, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?

I was going to say that!

In Cellnet's case (oh yes, it long long predates mmO2) they couldn't see
the market for texts so didn't want to pay the cost of including the
necessary software for it - remember Cellnet was part of super-tight BT!
Other SPs took the longer view.

no-on saw the market for texts when they were introduced.

The networks created it in the mid 90's by having expensive calls, especially for young people on P&G tariffs.

Really? I thought P&G didn't have SMS until much later - for example
One2One introduced it with their More2Say product in late 99.