UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 131
Default Three voicemail aggravation

What is it with Three that makes it so [insert expletive of choice]
difficult to get them to switch voicemail off..?

I have a spare PAYG SIM that sits in a cheap phone for emergencies and I
don't want to have to pay money to listen to voicemails when I switch it
on. It's not a heavily used phone as I said, but sometimes I get
voicemails for wrong numbers. If it was free to listen to them I
wouldn't mind so much, but I resent paying to listen to messages I
shouldn't have had in the first place.

There does not appear to be any way for the end user to switch it off,
you apparently have to ring customer services. So, the call to India
went something like this:

Me: I'd like to switch off voicemail on this number, please.
Them: Certainly, are you calling from the number concerned..? [what did
I just say..?]
Me: Yes.
Them: What was the last top-up..?
Me: I don't know, it's a spare phone, it must have been years ago.
Them: What was the last number called..?
Me: Refer to last answer.
Them: What are the last 4 digits of the SIM card..?
Me: I don't know, it's in the phone.
Them: I need to validate the account, you'll have to take the SIM out,
get the number and call back.
Me: Oh forget it, this is a waste of time...
Them: Please disconnect the call...

To add insult to injury, the stupid [insert expletive again] insisted on
calling me 'sir' which as you can imagine didn't go down too well.

Why do Three have such an idiotic policy..? It should be up to me when
voicemail is active and when it isn't, why have I got to go through
this palaver every time..?

I'm seriously thinking of ditching it and going to O2, the PAYG rates
are the same.

Grrr..!!

  #2   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Apr 2005
Posts: 248
Default Three voicemail aggravation

On 03/04/2019 13:56, MissRiaElaine wrote:
What is it with Three that makes it so [insert expletive of choice]
difficult to get them to switch voicemail off..?

I have a spare PAYG SIM that sits in a cheap phone for emergencies and I
don't want to have to pay money to listen to voicemails when I switch it
on. It's not a heavily used phone as I said, but sometimes I get
voicemails for wrong numbers.


Just don't listen to the messages then ! Eventually the VM server will
fill up, and it'll stop accepting them.


--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
  #3   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 131
Default Three voicemail aggravation

On 03/04/2019 15:14, Mark Carver wrote:
On 03/04/2019 13:56, MissRiaElaine wrote:
What is it with Three that makes it so [insert expletive of choice]
difficult to get them to switch voicemail off..?

I have a spare PAYG SIM that sits in a cheap phone for emergencies and
I don't want to have to pay money to listen to voicemails when I
switch it on. It's not a heavily used phone as I said, but sometimes I
get voicemails for wrong numbers.


Just don't listen to the messages then !┬* Eventually the VM server will
fill up, and it'll stop accepting them.


Sounds like a plan. But I wish I knew why they have to make it so
difficult to do something that I ought to be able to do myself (and can
on other networks...)


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #4   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 299
Default Three voicemail aggravation

On Wednesday, 3 April 2019 15:19:18 UTC+1, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 03/04/2019 15:14, Mark Carver wrote:
On 03/04/2019 13:56, MissRiaElaine wrote:
What is it with Three that makes it so [insert expletive of choice]
difficult to get them to switch voicemail off..?

I have a spare PAYG SIM that sits in a cheap phone for emergencies and
I don't want to have to pay money to listen to voicemails when I
switch it on. It's not a heavily used phone as I said, but sometimes I
get voicemails for wrong numbers.


Just don't listen to the messages then !┬* Eventually the VM server will
fill up, and it'll stop accepting them.


Sounds like a plan. But I wish I knew why they have to make it so
difficult to do something that I ought to be able to do myself (and can
on other networks...)


And IIRC calls to voicemail are free on O2 (certainly are on contract).



--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]


  #5   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Feb 2019
Posts: 7
Default Three voicemail aggravation

Don't they have the "Extended absence greeting". Once you set that
there is (was) the option to disable leaving a message.

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: (Address will be valid throughout
April).



  #6   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 108
Default Three voicemail aggravation

On 03/04/2019 15:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 3 April 2019 15:19:18 UTC+1, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 03/04/2019 15:14, Mark Carver wrote:
On 03/04/2019 13:56, MissRiaElaine wrote:
What is it with Three that makes it so [insert expletive of choice]
difficult to get them to switch voicemail off..?

I have a spare PAYG SIM that sits in a cheap phone for emergencies and
I don't want to have to pay money to listen to voicemails when I
switch it on. It's not a heavily used phone as I said, but sometimes I
get voicemails for wrong numbers.

Just don't listen to the messages then !┬* Eventually the VM server will
fill up, and it'll stop accepting them.


Sounds like a plan. But I wish I knew why they have to make it so
difficult to do something that I ought to be able to do myself (and can
on other networks...)


And IIRC calls to voicemail are free on O2 (certainly are on contract).


O2 also charge3p/min.

--
PeeGee

"Nothing should be able to load itself onto a computer without the
knowledge or consent of the computer user. Software should also be able
to be removed from a computer easily."
Peter Cullen, Microsoft Chief Privacy Strategist (Computing 18 Aug 05)
  #7   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 131
Default Three voicemail aggravation

On 03/04/2019 16:16, Martin Nicholas wrote:
Don't they have the "Extended absence greeting". Once you set that
there is (was) the option to disable leaving a message.


Not sure, I'll have to check.


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #8   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Mar 2011
Posts: 134
Default Three voicemail aggravation

On Wed, 03 Apr 2019 15:19:16 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 03/04/2019 15:14, Mark Carver wrote:
On 03/04/2019 13:56, MissRiaElaine wrote:
What is it with Three that makes it so [insert expletive of choice]
difficult to get them to switch voicemail off..?

I have a spare PAYG SIM that sits in a cheap phone for emergencies and
I don't want to have to pay money to listen to voicemails when I
switch it on. It's not a heavily used phone as I said, but sometimes I
get voicemails for wrong numbers.


Just don't listen to the messages then !┬* Eventually the VM server will
fill up, and it'll stop accepting them.


Sounds like a plan. But I wish I knew why they have to make it so
difficult to do something that I ought to be able to do myself (and can
on other networks...)


Can't you use the standard GSM short codes to do this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_f..._(cell)_phones

I can't check any more as I moved my spare PAYG number to O2, and
chopped up the 3 SIM...
  #9   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 131
Default Three voicemail aggravation

On 03/04/2019 17:38, Andrew Benham wrote:

Can't you use the standard GSM short codes to do this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_f..._(cell)_phones

I can't check any more as I moved my spare PAYG number to O2, and
chopped up the 3 SIM...


You can enter all the codes you want, it just doesn't work on Three. I
finally managed to get someone who had a clue this afternoon, so the
problem is now sorted.


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #10   Report Post  
Old April 3rd 19, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Default Three voicemail aggravation

On 03/04/2019 13:56, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Them: What are the last 4 digits of the SIM card..?
Me: I don't know, it's in the phone.
Them: I need to validate the account, you'll have to take the SIM out,
get the number and call back.
Me: Oh forget it, this is a waste of time...
Them: Please disconnect the call...


Security questions. Three are rightly covering their service from being
used by crooks to make unauthorised changes. You'll have to go through
their validation, no choice on this ...

However you could just record a personalised message.

"Sorry, I'm not around right now, please hang up and call back later"

If you wanna be fancy, you could end it with a long tone, like if the
call had been dropped.


To add insult to injury, the stupid [insert expletive again] insisted on
calling me 'sir' which as you can imagine didn't go down too well.


I used to work in a computer parts shop, we had a lady customer that
would phone the technical support team - unfortunately her low voice was
fairly indeterminate.

So on occasions someone would get a bollocking for responding "yes, sir".

Er, whoops - you've reminded me of this :-)

--
Adrian C


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three / 3 (Mobile) - Skype on three (Non-three [Symbian - Nokia] handsets) News Reader UK Mobile Phones 0 January 5th 10 06:25 AM
Changing voicemail settings on a Nokia 7600 (with Three) Free Cornwall UK Mobile Phones 1 September 7th 05 06:56 PM
Three Voicemail charges Phil┼ UK Mobile Phones 2 November 5th 04 11:34 PM
three: voicemail costs CliveM UK Mobile Phones 7 September 13th 04 10:22 PM
Cost of calling a THREE mobile from a fixed line and THREE BILLING (by the second)? PaulClarkeDenby UK Mobile Phones 1 August 8th 03 09:04 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę2004-2019 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017