UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old April 11th 19, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Default Why can't wifi and 4G calling be add-on apps

David Higton wrote:

Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android? Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

I've got a OnePlus 3T, for which those features aren't available, but
they are for later models.

David


Will WiFi calling not work with Whatsapp? It won't be 4G admittedly, but it
should get you out of a hole where you have WiFi but no phone signal.


--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Did you hear what happened at the Irish sheepdog trials? 35 were found
guilty!

  #12   Report Post  
Old April 11th 19, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 299
Default Why can't wifi and 4G calling be add-on apps

On Wednesday, 10 April 2019 18:24:42 UTC+1, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 10/04/2019 18:11, Andy Burns wrote:
David Higton wrote:

Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android?* Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?


Even on phones which are capable, the features are enabled via SIM
provisioning, the carriers only enable them on phones they've supplied
with their own firmware installed ...


I think it's on the device, not the SIM, but it's definitely something
the mobile network enables although I have no idea why - surely this has
to be a standard thing, or did they forget what telephones were for when
they did the latest version of the standards?


Both need to be enabled by your network provider in their network. All the main networks can do this for contract, but may not for P&G and some MVNO's can't do it either.

The phone has to be capable of this AND have it enabled in firmware. So later SIM free S7's weren't, but S8 and S9 were. Network supplied phones may have the feature enabled or not on their whim. They may also disable internet calling so as to prevent call revenue loss.

You need to have a 4G SIM, AIUI most nets provide these as replacements FoC - mine did.

======

4G calling - not discerned much benefit from this. One may get better voice quality and / or more chance a making a call successfully at busy events (e.g. a football match).

Wi-Fi calling - big benefit in steel framed buildings where there would otherwise be no coverage. Clearly a form of VOIP, however quality sometimes much lower than expected.

Internet calling - allows calls on another carrier - useful if calling internationally and allows a landline number to terminate in a mobile and originate calls (e.g. if you don't want to disclose your mobile number)



  #13   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2018
Posts: 18
Default Why can't wifi and 4G calling be add-on apps

In message
Bob Henson wrote:

David Higton wrote:

Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android? Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

I've got a OnePlus 3T, for which those features aren't available, but
they are for later models.

David


Will WiFi calling not work with Whatsapp? It won't be 4G admittedly, but it
should get you out of a hole where you have WiFi but no phone signal.


It's not about being able to make calls where I currently can't; it's
really because I'd like to try these new technologies to see if they
make any useful difference. Or even to see if they work as well as
they ought to.

David
  #14   Report Post  
Old April 13th 19, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Default Why can't wifi and 4G calling be add-on apps

David Higton wrote:

In message
Bob Henson wrote:

David Higton wrote:

Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android? Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

I've got a OnePlus 3T, for which those features aren't available, but
they are for later models.

David


Will WiFi calling not work with Whatsapp? It won't be 4G admittedly, but it
should get you out of a hole where you have WiFi but no phone signal.


It's not about being able to make calls where I currently can't; it's
really because I'd like to try these new technologies to see if they
make any useful difference. Or even to see if they work as well as
they ought to.

David


Fair enough. I see the big companies are cashing in on it - BT scrapped
their app that did WiFi calling and charged the call to your own landline
(so free for many) and switched to what others are now describing in the
replies to your message. With a BT SIM you now can only do it with a select
number of phones bought from BT themselves, so all the phones (most new
ones?) capable of doing it are blocked from the service.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill
the world with fools. - Herbert Spencer
  #15   Report Post  
Old April 13th 19, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 299
Default Why can't wifi and 4G calling be add-on apps

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 09:27:39 UTC+1, Bob Henson wrote:
David Higton wrote:

In message
Bob Henson wrote:

David Higton wrote:

Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android? Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

I've got a OnePlus 3T, for which those features aren't available, but
they are for later models.

David

Will WiFi calling not work with Whatsapp? It won't be 4G admittedly, but it
should get you out of a hole where you have WiFi but no phone signal.


It's not about being able to make calls where I currently can't; it's
really because I'd like to try these new technologies to see if they
make any useful difference. Or even to see if they work as well as
they ought to.

David


Fair enough. I see the big companies are cashing in on it - BT scrapped
their app that did WiFi calling and charged the call to your own landline
(so free for many) and switched to what others are now describing in the
replies to your message. With a BT SIM you now can only do it with a select
number of phones bought from BT themselves, so all the phones (most new
ones?) capable of doing it are blocked from the service.


BT are serially incapable of sticking to a deal.

The pulled BT Broadband Voice and BT Broadband Talk, one of them with warning.


--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill
the world with fools. - Herbert Spencer




  #16   Report Post  
Old April 13th 19, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2018
Posts: 18
Default Why can't wifi and 4G calling be add-on apps

In message
Bob Henson wrote:

BT scrapped their app that did WiFi calling and charged the call to your
own landline (so free for many)


My situation is that my mobile always gives me free calls, but my BT land
line only does at some times of day. I understand that this is a common
case. But I digress.

David
  #17   Report Post  
Old April 14th 19, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Default Why can't wifi and 4G calling be add-on apps

David Higton wrote:

In message
Bob Henson wrote:

BT scrapped their app that did WiFi calling and charged the call to your
own landline (so free for many)


My situation is that my mobile always gives me free calls, but my BT land
line only does at some times of day. I understand that this is a common
case. But I digress.

David


When I said "free" I was thinking of those with the Anytime Calls add-on -
quite a lot of people. As of today (14th April 2019), if I understand it
correctly, BT are switching everyone to Anytime Calls at various prices.
For some reason, I am to get the anytime calls for less cost than I was
paying for free evenings and weekend calls. This is a great deal for me but
may annoy a lot of people.

Apologies for my "subject drift" too, but I though it might be of value for
folk to be reminded. Many people (probably the ones who will pay 9 per
month for it) will want to contact BT and get them to turn it off pronto.
Others, like me will be pleased. Nearly all will think they should have
been offered the option by BT not steamrollered into it.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Wife - a woman who has ceased to be your girlfriend but resents anyone
trying to fill the vacancy.
  #18   Report Post  
Old April 14th 19, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 299
Default Why can't wifi and 4G calling be add-on apps

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 09:47:13 UTC+1, Bob Henson wrote:
David Higton wrote:

In message
Bob Henson wrote:

BT scrapped their app that did WiFi calling and charged the call to your
own landline (so free for many)


My situation is that my mobile always gives me free calls, but my BT land
line only does at some times of day. I understand that this is a common
case. But I digress.

David


When I said "free" I was thinking of those with the Anytime Calls add-on -
quite a lot of people. As of today (14th April 2019), if I understand it
correctly, BT are switching everyone to Anytime Calls at various prices.
For some reason, I am to get the anytime calls for less cost than I was
paying for free evenings and weekend calls. This is a great deal for me but
may annoy a lot of people.

Apologies for my "subject drift" too, but I though it might be of value for
folk to be reminded. Many people (probably the ones who will pay £9 per
month for it) will want to contact BT and get them to turn it off pronto.
Others, like me will be pleased. Nearly all will think they should have
been offered the option by BT not steamrollered into it.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England



Just had a look and there are three options.

BT so poisoned the well with their ever increasing connection and minimum call charges (23p to phone next door), that I only use them during the free weekends and use my mobile to call mobiles and Voip to call everything else..


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't Orange mention wifi for N80 and SPV M600? Fred Finisterre UK Mobile Phones 1 May 30th 06 09:16 PM
Nokia N70 and MMS - Can't add sounds? Deb UK Mobile Phones 1 February 4th 06 06:46 PM
Nokia 6230i: can't add 'notes' (organiser) MEMORY FULL but I have 512 MMC Card [email protected] UK Mobile Phones 8 November 18th 05 03:28 PM
If you have a free wifi hotspot you can add it to our directory Riverwalk Mobile UK Mobile Phones 0 September 21st 04 06:47 PM
Can I add another language to my SE T610? yeanus UK Mobile Phones 4 July 25th 03 08:34 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017