Old April 10th 19, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Why can't wifi and 4G calling be add-on apps

Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android? Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

I've got a OnePlus 3T, for which those features aren't available, but
they are for later models.

David

Old April 10th 19, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wednesday, 10 April 2019 15:52:50 UTC+1, David Higton wrote:
Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android? Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

I've got a OnePlus 3T, for which those features aren't available, but
they are for later models.

David

I had the same problem with a Samsung Galaxy S7 [Edge] I bought in autumn 2017 - Wi-Fi, 4G and internet calling had all been deleted during the 'upgrade' to Android 7 during summer 2017, although you could find video of the features working in A6 on the web. Replaced by PRL for Samsung UK (whose CS ludicrously denied any faults!).

If you can get to Android 8 it might work.

All fixed in Galaxy S8, albeit with a side app for internet calling.
Old April 10th 19, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David Higton wrote:

Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android? Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

Even on phones which are capable, the features are enabled via SIM
provisioning, the carriers only enable them on phones they've supplied
with their own firmware installed ...
Old April 10th 19, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/04/2019 18:11, Andy Burns wrote:
David Higton wrote:

Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android?* Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

Even on phones which are capable, the features are enabled via SIM
provisioning, the carriers only enable them on phones they've supplied
with their own firmware installed ...

I think it's on the device, not the SIM, but it's definitely something
the mobile network enables although I have no idea why - surely this has
to be a standard thing, or did they forget what telephones were for when
they did the latest version of the standards?
Old April 10th 19, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Someone Somewhere wrote:

I think it's on the device, not the SIM

I bought a Pixel 3 (so not locked or provided by a network)

Before I ported my Tesco number over, the VoLTE and WiFi calling options
in the 'secret' *#*#4646#*#* menu were off (but not greyed out) after
the new SIM went live, those options are off and the on/off sliders are
disabled.

Old April 10th 19, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David Higton wrote:
Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android? Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

VoLTE and wifi calling (essentially LTE-packets-over-IP) are features of the
baseband firmware. If your carrier supports them, their builds of Android
will contain firmware that enables them (and possibly any carrier-specific
customisations), which has been certified against their network. A vanilla
OS image may not contain firmware with these features enabled in the
baseband.

The downloadable carriers' Android apps are simply passing messages to a
firmware app on the operating system running on the baseband processor,
where all the work actually happens.

Some carriers have apps that pretend to do the same things (eg wifi
calling using VOIP rather than LTEoIP) but they aren't the same at a network
level.

Theo
Old April 10th 19, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David Higton wrote:

Does anyone know for sure (conjecture isn't useful) why wifi calling
and 4G calling are limited to particular builds of Android?* Why can't
they be done by downloadable add-on apps?

Even on phones which are capable, the features are enabled via SIM
provisioning, the carriers only enable them on phones they've supplied
with their own firmware installed ...

I think it's on the device, not the SIM, but it's definitely something
the mobile network enables although I have no idea why - surely this has
to be a standard thing, or did they forget what telephones were for when
they did the latest version of the standards?

I too think it's the device. My O2 account shows that the features
are enabled, but the phone itself has no way to enable/disable them.

David
Old April 10th 19, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David Higton wrote:

My O2 account shows that the features
are enabled, but the phone itself has no way to enable/disable them.

Don't get your hopes up, but it's worth checking if your phone will let
you enable them this way

Switch to the phone dialler app, and dial

* # * # 4 6 3 6 # * # *

Then you should get to the hidden "Testing" menu, go into "Phone
information" and there are sliders to enable/disable VoLTE and WiFi
calling, though you may well find they are disabled.
Old April 10th 19, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message
Andy Burns wrote:

David Higton wrote:

My O2 account shows that the features
are enabled, but the phone itself has no way to enable/disable them.

Don't get your hopes up, but it's worth checking if your phone will let
you enable them this way

Switch to the phone dialler app, and dial

* # * # 4 6 3 6 # * # *

Then you should get to the hidden "Testing" menu, go into "Phone
information" and there are sliders to enable/disable VoLTE and WiFi
calling, though you may well find they are disabled.

Very interesting, thanks! There is a VoLTE slider that can be slid
from left (grey, off) to right (blue, on), but go out and come back
again and it has reverted to off.

David
Old April 10th 19, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message
Theo wrote:

David Higton wrote:
[...]

Very interesting, thanks, Theo.