Old April 13th 19, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Phone life extension?

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:29:42 +0100, Woody
wrote:

On Fri 12/04/2019 15:27, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 06:58:38 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Friday, 12 April 2019 09:19:32 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.

Sounds like you have a memory leak. Factory reset might cure it.

Thanks very much. This seems to be an emerging consensus.

Am I right in thinking the only thing I really need to back up is the
photos if Calendar, Contacts and Messages are linked to GMail? I
assume I won't lose the Android 7 upgrade?

The Donald and GCHQ may have their doubts, but Huawei phones are not
expensive and really do take some beating.

I must say I share the scepticism given that nearly all phones are
assembled in China. You could say the same about any phone. Even
equipment not made in China probably uses Chinese parts.
Old April 13th 19, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:39:38 +0100, Chris wrote:
[snip]

You'll keep the android updates, but you'll lose the apps and data.
Those which are synced with google will keep some/all of their data.
Others won't. A backup will help restore data, but then might defeat the
purpose of sprucing up the phone.

Thanks ever so much. This seems to have worked a a treat. The
Calendar and Contacts returned straight away, and now the photos have
returned. Google Play identified apps I had previously downloaded. My
ISP helped me with a user name I did not know about.

One more question: my SD card is under-used and ideally I would like
to move all the photos and any BBC downloads there. As far as I can
see, what can be moved is very limited. There is mention of using
File Manager, which I don't have. Is there a generic Android file
manager? Is there a better way?

Thanks again.
Old April 18th 19, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09:19 12 Apr 2019, Scott wrote:

I'm looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.

Two very different phones. The Motorola is a good value workhorse while the
iPhone is an expensive racehorse.

Consider using a power bank. A 5,000 mAh one is quite small and light.