UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #12   Report Post  
Old April 13th 19, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 498
Default Phone life extension?

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:29:42 +0100, Woody
wrote:

On Fri 12/04/2019 15:27, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 06:58:38 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Friday, 12 April 2019 09:19:32 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.

Sounds like you have a memory leak. Factory reset might cure it.


Thanks very much. This seems to be an emerging consensus.

Am I right in thinking the only thing I really need to back up is the
photos if Calendar, Contacts and Messages are linked to GMail? I
assume I won't lose the Android 7 upgrade?

The Donald and GCHQ may have their doubts, but Huawei phones are not
expensive and really do take some beating.

I must say I share the scepticism given that nearly all phones are
assembled in China. You could say the same about any phone. Even
equipment not made in China probably uses Chinese parts.
  #13   Report Post  
Old April 13th 19, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 498
Default Phone life extension?

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:39:38 +0100, Chris wrote:
[snip]

You'll keep the android updates, but you'll lose the apps and data.
Those which are synced with google will keep some/all of their data.
Others won't. A backup will help restore data, but then might defeat the
purpose of sprucing up the phone.


Thanks ever so much. This seems to have worked a a treat. The
Calendar and Contacts returned straight away, and now the photos have
returned. Google Play identified apps I had previously downloaded. My
ISP helped me with a user name I did not know about.

One more question: my SD card is under-used and ideally I would like
to move all the photos and any BBC downloads there. As far as I can
see, what can be moved is very limited. There is mention of using
File Manager, which I don't have. Is there a generic Android file
manager? Is there a better way?

Thanks again.
  #14   Report Post  
Old April 29th 19, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 314
Default Phone life extension?

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 09:22:52 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:29:42 +0100, Woody
wrote:

On Fri 12/04/2019 15:27, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 06:58:38 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Friday, 12 April 2019 09:19:32 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.

Sounds like you have a memory leak. Factory reset might cure it.

Thanks very much. This seems to be an emerging consensus.

Am I right in thinking the only thing I really need to back up is the
photos if Calendar, Contacts and Messages are linked to GMail? I
assume I won't lose the Android 7 upgrade?

The Donald and GCHQ may have their doubts, but Huawei phones are not
expensive and really do take some beating.

I must say I share the scepticism given that nearly all phones are
assembled in China. You could say the same about any phone. Even
equipment not made in China probably uses Chinese parts.


It is the firmware that is the issue and who can update it.
  #15   Report Post  
Old April 29th 19, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 498
Default Phone life extension?

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 11:28:39 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 09:22:52 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:29:42 +0100, Woody
wrote:

On Fri 12/04/2019 15:27, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 06:58:38 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Friday, 12 April 2019 09:19:32 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.

Sounds like you have a memory leak. Factory reset might cure it.

Thanks very much. This seems to be an emerging consensus.

Am I right in thinking the only thing I really need to back up is the
photos if Calendar, Contacts and Messages are linked to GMail? I
assume I won't lose the Android 7 upgrade?

The Donald and GCHQ may have their doubts, but Huawei phones are not
expensive and really do take some beating.

I must say I share the scepticism given that nearly all phones are
assembled in China. You could say the same about any phone. Even
equipment not made in China probably uses Chinese parts.


It is the firmware that is the issue and who can update it.


Okay. But who puts the firmware in an Apple phone manufactured by
Foxconn?


  #16   Report Post  
Old April 30th 19, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 314
Default Phone life extension?

On Monday, 29 April 2019 22:03:47 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 11:28:39 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 09:22:52 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:29:42 +0100, Woody
wrote:

On Fri 12/04/2019 15:27, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 06:58:38 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Friday, 12 April 2019 09:19:32 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.

Sounds like you have a memory leak. Factory reset might cure it.

Thanks very much. This seems to be an emerging consensus.

Am I right in thinking the only thing I really need to back up is the
photos if Calendar, Contacts and Messages are linked to GMail? I
assume I won't lose the Android 7 upgrade?

The Donald and GCHQ may have their doubts, but Huawei phones are not
expensive and really do take some beating.

I must say I share the scepticism given that nearly all phones are
assembled in China. You could say the same about any phone. Even
equipment not made in China probably uses Chinese parts.


It is the firmware that is the issue and who can update it.


Okay. But who puts the firmware in an Apple phone manufactured by
Foxconn?


Apple and they can change it after you bought it if you put it online.
  #17   Report Post  
Old May 11th 19, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2019
Posts: 1
Default Phone life extension?

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 1:19:32 AM UTC-7, Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.


  #20   Report Post  
Old May 11th 19, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2015
Posts: 202
Default Phone life extension?

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 11/05/2019 12:48, wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 1:19:32 AM UTC-7, Scott wrote:


[snip]

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.


Definitely paying for the brand IMHO. Apple stuff is way over-priced and
the build quality is not all that good; I've seen iPhones dropped from
quite a low height and broken the screen, on the other hand my Samsung
just bounces..!

I'm fast becoming of the opinion that all this so-called "smart" phone
stuff is getting far too over-complicated. I still have a couple of
Nokia 6310i phones that despite being the best part of 15 years old
still hold a charge, I might just go back to them and be done with it.
All I really need is to be able to make/receive calls and the occasional
text message, I can wait to do all the other stuff when I get home.


So how do you check train times, look up bus routes, re-book flights etc,
etc, etc, when you’re out and about and your plans have fallen through.
How do you find a restaurant near you with free space late in the evening?
Smart phones are just so mindbogglingly useful and the ways that they have
enabled me to do a fantastic number of really useful things when I’m out
and about I can barely begin to enumerate.

“Dumb phones” are the equivalent of buggy whips. Once needed, now an
anachronism.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help! Tricked into 6 month extension of contract by Orange Gaute UK Mobile Phones 9 February 27th 08 11:17 PM
Diverting all calls to a number with extension? Gareth Evans UK Mobile Phones 3 December 11th 05 08:22 PM
Tips wanted for renogiating a contract extension on Orange Omar UK Mobile Phones 3 September 3rd 05 08:56 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017