Old May 11th 19, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Phone life extension?

"Tim+" wrote in message
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 11/05/2019 12:48, wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 1:19:32 AM UTC-7, Scott wrote:

[snip]

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.

Definitely paying for the brand IMHO. Apple stuff is way over-priced and
the build quality is not all that good; I've seen iPhones dropped from
quite a low height and broken the screen, on the other hand my Samsung
just bounces..!

I'm fast becoming of the opinion that all this so-called "smart" phone
stuff is getting far too over-complicated. I still have a couple of
Nokia 6310i phones that despite being the best part of 15 years old
still hold a charge, I might just go back to them and be done with it.
All I really need is to be able to make/receive calls and the occasional
text message, I can wait to do all the other stuff when I get home.

So how do you check train times,

If you're at the station you look at the board

if you're not, why do you need to know

look up bus routes,

you do it before you leave home

re-book flights etc,

at the ticket desk

etc, etc, when you’re out and about and your plans have fallen through.
How do you find a restaurant near you with free space late in the evening?

walk in through the door and ask

tim

Old May 11th 19, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/05/2019 15:17, Tim+ wrote:

So how do you check train times, look up bus routes, re-book flights etc,
etc, etc, when you’re out and about and your plans have fallen through.
How do you find a restaurant near you with free space late in the evening?
Smart phones are just so mindbogglingly useful and the ways that they have
enabled me to do a fantastic number of really useful things when I’m out
and about I can barely begin to enumerate.

“Dumb phones” are the equivalent of buggy whips. Once needed, now an
anachronism.

That's your view, and I respect your entitlement to it. However I lead a
relatively simple life and rarely need to do any of those things while
standing in the street. If I'm away on a long trip, for example, I
generally have my laptop with me, which has both wifi and mobile
broadband built in. Far easier to do all that sort of thing on a 14"
screen and proper keyboard from the relative comfort of a hotel room
than standing in the street with a fiddly little phone screen.

Old May 11th 19, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 11/05/2019 15:17, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

But the point is, you *can* do it in the street on a compact device and
that ability opens up a whole world of possibilities.

It’s really not hard to do any of the things I listed and the ability to do
them “on the hoof” at short notice without having to lug a laptop around is
liberating. I boot up a “proper” computer about once a week. All my rest
of my web surfing is on mobile phones or my iPad.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old May 11th 19, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Saturday, 11 May 2019 13:43:24 UTC+1, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 11/05/2019 12:48, wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 1:19:32 AM UTC-7, Scott wrote:

[snip]

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.

Definitely paying for the brand IMHO. Apple stuff is way over-priced and
the build quality is not all that good; I've seen iPhones dropped from
quite a low height and broken the screen, on the other hand my Samsung
just bounces..!

I'm fast becoming of the opinion that all this so-called "smart" phone
stuff is getting far too over-complicated. I still have a couple of
Nokia 6310i phones that despite being the best part of 15 years old
still hold a charge,

That is just the battery. Phones with user replaceable batteries are preferable. Not had to buy any recently, but batteries for my old Motorola and Nokia phones were £5 or a bit more.

Old May 11th 19, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/05/2019 18:10, Tim+ wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 11/05/2019 15:17, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

You're deliberately missing my point. I don't *want* to do all this sort
of stuff in the street..! I don't *need* to. A simple phone serves my
needs, a laptop is available should I need one, which is very rarely.

I am also not keen on Messrs. Google et. al. knowing my whereabouts all
the time. A PAYG SIM in a dumb phone is all I want or need. YMMV.

Old May 13th 19, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Tim... wrote:
So how do you check train times,

If you're at the station you look at the board

That sounds SO much like it ought to be the right answer ...

... but more than once I've been able to determine which platform I need
using my phone before it has been shown on the board, and on at least
one occasion that has meant the difference between getting a seat and
not getting a seat.

look up bus routes,

you do it before you leave home

Routes, perhaps, but the phone can tell me when the next bus is expected
(and so whether I've just missed one, in which case I might prefer to
walk or get a taxi). Some London bus stops now have a matrix display
that announces which buses are due and when, but many don't, and the
phone is useful.

re-book flights etc,

at the ticket desk

I've used airline apps to check in to flights when I didn't have access
to a printer. Very handy when dealing with cheapskate airlines that want
to charge you extra to check-in at the airport.

etc, etc, when youre out and about and your plans have fallen
through. How do you find a restaurant near you with free space
late in the evening?

walk in through the door and ask

You must have to walk in through a lot of doors, sometimes!

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Old May 13th 19, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , MissRiaElaine wrote:
I don't *want* to do all this sort of stuff in the street..! I don't
*need* to. A simple phone serves my needs, a laptop is available
should I need one, which is very rarely.

The smartphone really comes into its own when you *don't* have the
laptop.

Some people actually seem to prefer to use a phone; I'm not one of them,
but I appreciate the utility.

I am also not keen on Messrs. Google et. al. knowing my
whereabouts all the time. A PAYG SIM in a dumb phone is all I want
or need. YMMV.

That's another issue altogether. I don't enjoy the surveillance -- I
wish there was some way I could *pay* someone for the facilities I used
rather than getting them free from the likes of Google in exchange for a
slice of my life -- but there isn't ... and on balance I'll take a
little surveillance in exchange for free stuff. YMMV.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Old May 13th 19, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 13/05/2019 14:40, Daniel James wrote:
In article , MissRiaElaine wrote:

I am also not keen on Messrs. Google et. al. knowing my
whereabouts all the time. A PAYG SIM in a dumb phone is all I want
or need. YMMV.

That's another issue altogether. I don't enjoy the surveillance -- I
wish there was some way I could *pay* someone for the facilities I used
rather than getting them free from the likes of Google in exchange for a
slice of my life -- but there isn't ... and on balance I'll take a
little surveillance in exchange for free stuff. YMMV.

To me, a phone is just that. A means of talking to someone. I don't need
the extra bells & whistles. Call me a luddite if you wish, I don't
really care :-)

I only take a laptop with me on trips where I'm away overnight for more
than one night. It gets used in the hotel room or wherever I'm staying
and that's it. I am not (yet) so reliant on the internet that I can't
live without it for 5 minutes.