UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 517
Default Phone life extension?

In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.

  #2   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 546
Default Phone life extension?

Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.


If you're talking about ram, then there's little you can do about it. It is
most efficient for the os to manage it which means it'll always be fully
used: OS, active apps and recently used apps.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?


I'd do a factory reset. That's as pristine as possible without too much
faff.

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.


There is an Apple premium, but they aren't cheap products and are very well
supported for years. My iPhone SE is three years old and still going strong
- battery is a bit tired though. I may upgrade this year, but I don't have
to.



  #3   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 517
Default Phone life extension?

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 09:04:50 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.


If you're talking about ram, then there's little you can do about it. It is
most efficient for the os to manage it which means it'll always be fully
used: OS, active apps and recently used apps.


Thanks. This makes eminent sense. Somebody told me that high usage
was a sign of inadequate memory but it sounds like this was tosh.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?


I'd do a factory reset. That's as pristine as possible without too much
faff.


Will I lose Android updates by doing this? Will I lose other
downloaded apps (which I could reinstall anyway)? Can I recover the
data from my Google account or do I need to perform an actual back-up
first?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.


There is an Apple premium, but they aren't cheap products and are very well
supported for years. My iPhone SE is three years old and still going strong
- battery is a bit tired though. I may upgrade this year, but I don't have
to.


I like the idea of extended support. I'll try and look at somebody's.
I looked at refurbished ones on the Apple site but the discount is
only 15% which seems a very poor deal. Half price might tempt me.

Thanks for your help.
  #4   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2015
Posts: 116
Default Phone life extension?

Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems


It would help if you told us what phone it is.

Some phones have good developer communities, such that you can download a
new OS that's night and day better than the original (go up from Android 4
to Android 8, for example). It won't help with hardware limitations, but
can breathe fresh life into old phones.

Other phones have very few developers, such that you're lumbered with
whatever the manufacturer abandoned it with.

It very much depends.

Theo
  #5   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 517
Default Phone life extension?

On 12 Apr 2019 14:13:18 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems


It would help if you told us what phone it is.


Good point. Moto G4 Play.

Some phones have good developer communities, such that you can download a
new OS that's night and day better than the original (go up from Android 4
to Android 8, for example). It won't help with hardware limitations, but
can breathe fresh life into old phones.

Other phones have very few developers, such that you're lumbered with
whatever the manufacturer abandoned it with.


Now Lenovo, I believe.


  #6   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 350
Default Phone life extension?

On Friday, 12 April 2019 09:19:32 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.


Sounds like you have a memory leak. Factory reset might cure it.
  #7   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 517
Default Phone life extension?

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 06:58:38 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Friday, 12 April 2019 09:19:32 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.


Sounds like you have a memory leak. Factory reset might cure it.


Thanks very much. This seems to be an emerging consensus.

Am I right in thinking the only thing I really need to back up is the
photos if Calendar, Contacts and Messages are linked to GMail? I
assume I won't lose the Android 7 upgrade?
  #8   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 721
Default Phone life extension?

On Fri 12/04/2019 15:27, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 06:58:38 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Friday, 12 April 2019 09:19:32 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.


Sounds like you have a memory leak. Factory reset might cure it.


Thanks very much. This seems to be an emerging consensus.

Am I right in thinking the only thing I really need to back up is the
photos if Calendar, Contacts and Messages are linked to GMail? I
assume I won't lose the Android 7 upgrade?

The Donald and GCHQ may have their doubts, but Huawei phones are not
expensive and really do take some beating.

I had a Samsung SIII and changed to a Huawei P8Lite - it was like going
from night into day. The Huawei is much faster, has a better screen, is
not plastered with the manufacturers software, and I like it (didn't you
guess?)

I had to go back to the SIII for about a month a couple of months ago
(my wife needed my phone - hers is never turned on) and it was horrible.
Never again.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
  #9   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 546
Default Phone life extension?

On 12/04/2019 11:17, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 09:04:50 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
In the continuing saga with my phone, it is still running slowly. I
think the problem is memory (RAM) use averaging over 80%. Conventional
logic dictates I should get a new phone:

RAM less that 1GB when the new phones are 4GB
Probably over three years old
No further Android updates expected
Too many problems

However, partly as a challenge, I would like to extend the life of
this phone by another year. I have cleared caches and tried to
uninstall all the apps I don't need but this seems to make little
difference to reported memory usage.


If you're talking about ram, then there's little you can do about it. It is
most efficient for the os to manage it which means it'll always be fully
used: OS, active apps and recently used apps.


Thanks. This makes eminent sense. Somebody told me that high usage
was a sign of inadequate memory but it sounds like this was tosh.

Any other ideas? Turning off location? Is there any decent
diagnostic software? Factory reset? Rooting and downloading a new OS
(to remove bloatware)?


I'd do a factory reset. That's as pristine as possible without too much
faff.


Will I lose Android updates by doing this? Will I lose other
downloaded apps (which I could reinstall anyway)? Can I recover the
data from my Google account or do I need to perform an actual back-up
first?


You'll keep the android updates, but you'll lose the apps and data.
Those which are synced with google will keep some/all of their data.
Others won't. A backup will help restore data, but then might defeat the
purpose of sprucing up the phone.

Or should I just do what everyone else does and upgrade to a new
phone? I''m looking at the Motorola G7 Power. Huge battery but no
NFC. I could go for iPhone but I wonder if I would just be paying for
the brand.


There is an Apple premium, but they aren't cheap products and are very well
supported for years. My iPhone SE is three years old and still going strong
- battery is a bit tired though. I may upgrade this year, but I don't have
to.


I like the idea of extended support. I'll try and look at somebody's.
I looked at refurbished ones on the Apple site but the discount is
only 15% which seems a very poor deal. Half price might tempt me.


Yeah, the discounts on the Apple refurb are really stingey. Try he
https://www.quickmobilefix.com/colle...rbished-iphone

I've bought a couple from there although be aware that any repaired
screens will be third party which Apple may whinge about if you get a
future repair done at an Apple store. So far, for me, they've only
whinged and still done the repair.


  #10   Report Post  
Old April 12th 19, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Sep 2013
Posts: 53
Default Phone life extension?

In article , (Woody)
wrote:

The Donald and GCHQ may have their doubts, but Huawei phones are
not expensive and really do take some beating.


I'll second that - I'm more than a year into a mate 10 pro, excellent
phone.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981




Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help! Tricked into 6 month extension of contract by Orange Gaute UK Mobile Phones 9 February 27th 08 11:17 PM
Diverting all calls to a number with extension? Gareth Evans UK Mobile Phones 3 December 11th 05 08:22 PM
Tips wanted for renogiating a contract extension on Orange Omar UK Mobile Phones 3 September 3rd 05 08:56 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017