Old April 14th 19, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Smart Phone & Zipped Files

A mate has a smart phone / tablet which he uses for email and web browsing. I often send him media files via WetTransfer. He can download these OK, then he uploads them to Dropbox. Then he acceses them from there. If they are in native format such as MP3, FLAC or even WAV they play ok. However if they are zipped together he has no way of unzipping them. He doesn't have access to a laptop. Thanks - CJB

Old April 14th 19, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 05:22:29 -0700 (PDT)
C wrote:

A mate has a smart phone / tablet which he uses for email and web
browsing. I often send him media files via WetTransfer. He can
download these OK, then he uploads them to Dropbox. Then he acceses
them from there. If they are in native format such as MP3, FLAC or
even WAV they play ok. However if they are zipped together he has no
way of unzipping them. He doesn't have access to a laptop. Thanks -
CJB

So get him to install an app that can handle these files - RAR and
WinZip are both available as free apps and are probably a good place to
start.

Old April 14th 19, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

C wrote:

A mate has a smart phone / tablet which he uses for email and web
browsing. I often send him media files via WetTransfer. He can
download these OK, then he uploads them to Dropbox. Then he acceses
them from there. If they are in native format such as MP3, FLAC or
even WAV they play ok. However if they are zipped together he has no
way of unzipping them. He doesn't have access to a laptop. Thanks -
CJB

Little point in zipping them as most (all?) AV formats are compressed
anyway, so zipping them achieves next to nothing.

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: (Address will be valid throughout
April).

Old April 15th 19, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 16:38:47 +0100
Martin Nicholas wrote:

Little point in zipping them as most (all?) AV formats are compressed
anyway, so zipping them achieves next to nothing.

When he says "zipped together" it suggests to me that he's creating a
container of multiple objects, and also possibly a hierarchical
structure. Archive management software isn't just about saving space.

Old April 15th 19, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Martin Nicholas wrote:

Little point in zipping them as most (all?) AV formats are compressed
anyway, so zipping them achieves next to nothing.

When he says "zipped together" it suggests to me that he's creating a
container of multiple objects, and also possibly a hierarchical
structure. Archive management software isn't just about saving space.

Yes - I need to send multiple files to the recipient me in the UK to him in NZ. He cannot use a computer and only has a smart phone. But being somewhat older than average he's puzzled why zipped files don't open (aka play). I've now suggested that he gets Winzip - thank you for that tip - didn't know it was an option on a smart phone.

CJB