UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 22nd 19, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 89
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

We have little or no mobile coverage at home (all networks are just as
bad as each other). Many bank and other systems now assume that one
has a mobile phone which can accept SMS messages and it can be a real
nuisance when this isn't possible.

So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages? Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages. If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.


--
Chris Green
·

  #2   Report Post  
Old April 22nd 19, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2007
Posts: 95
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

On 4/22/2019 4:56 PM, Chris Green wrote:
We have little or no mobile coverage at home (all networks are just as
bad as each other). Many bank and other systems now assume that one
has a mobile phone which can accept SMS messages and it can be a real
nuisance when this isn't possible.

So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages? Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages. If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.


Not what you asked, but - some mobile phones do 'wi-fi' calling. Very
handy when you have broadband, but a poor/non-existent mobile signal.

It's not just the expensive ones, either, I have a Nokia 6.1 which does
that.


  #3   Report Post  
Old April 22nd 19, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 711
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

On Mon 22/04/2019 16:56, Chris Green wrote:
We have little or no mobile coverage at home (all networks are just as
bad as each other). Many bank and other systems now assume that one
has a mobile phone which can accept SMS messages and it can be a real
nuisance when this isn't possible.

So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages? Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages. If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.


Yes you can but you pay for the cost of the transferred call. You need
to find out which is the most cost effective - for instance 3 and O2
Classic both run as 3-2-1 or 3p/min for a call. Do you pay that rate for
the transferred call or is it higher?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
  #4   Report Post  
Old April 22nd 19, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 711
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

On Mon 22/04/2019 17:55, Woody wrote:
On Mon 22/04/2019 16:56, Chris Green wrote:
We have little or no mobile coverage at home (all networks are just as
bad as each other).* Many bank and other systems now assume that one
has a mobile phone which can accept SMS messages and it can be a real
nuisance when this isn't possible.

So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages?* Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages.* If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.


Yes you can but you pay for the cost of the transferred call. You need
to find out which is the most cost effective - for instance 3 and O2
Classic both run as 3-2-1 or 3p/min for a call. Do you pay that rate for
the transferred call or is it higher?

I should have said does the transfer also transfer texts or do they just
pass through as normal?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
  #5   Report Post  
Old April 22nd 19, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2015
Posts: 106
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

Chris Green wrote:
So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages? Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages. If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.


Some companies provide mobile numbers that receive texts, but then convert
them to email or make an HTTP request to your server. Obviously you need to
think about the security implications of this, but you could use this to get
the message in a more convenient form.

For example:
https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobi...p-information/

https://aql.com/products/messaging/
(although I'm not sure how well they're set up to deal with consumers)

I think you could do similar things with other VOIP apps like Skype In.

Dealing with companies that make verification voice calls to a mobile is a
bit tricky, although providers like AA can divert to another number like a
lnadline.

Theo


  #6   Report Post  
Old April 23rd 19, 06:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Oct 2011
Posts: 402
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

On 22/04/2019 23:56, Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages? Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages. If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.


Some companies provide mobile numbers that receive texts, but then convert
them to email or make an HTTP request to your server. Obviously you need to
think about the security implications of this, but you could use this to get
the message in a more convenient form.

For example:
https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobi...p-information/

https://aql.com/products/messaging/
(although I'm not sure how well they're set up to deal with consumers)

I think you could do similar things with other VOIP apps like Skype In.

Dealing with companies that make verification voice calls to a mobile is a
bit tricky, although providers like AA can divert to another number like a
lnadline.

Theo

I don't think either of these offer true forwarding of 07 mobile number
SMS.

I guss if someeeone did, the banks would panic as that would immediately
break their "security" for these 2 factor authentication messages.
  #7   Report Post  
Old April 23rd 19, 07:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Feb 2016
Posts: 85
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

Chris Green wrote:
We have little or no mobile coverage at home (all networks are just as
bad as each other). Many bank and other systems now assume that one
has a mobile phone which can accept SMS messages and it can be a real
nuisance when this isn't possible.

So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages? Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages. If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.



Back to the original problem - how many organisations *require* SMS
authentication? My own bank has the option of an automated voice call to a
landline. Likewise HMRC. I would imagine an SMS only option would preclude
some disabled people and thus be illegal.

  #8   Report Post  
Old April 23rd 19, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 534
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 22/04/2019 23:56, Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages? Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages. If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.


Some companies provide mobile numbers that receive texts, but then convert
them to email or make an HTTP request to your server. Obviously you need to
think about the security implications of this, but you could use this to get
the message in a more convenient form.

For example:
https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobi...p-information/

https://aql.com/products/messaging/
(although I'm not sure how well they're set up to deal with consumers)

I think you could do similar things with other VOIP apps like Skype In.

Dealing with companies that make verification voice calls to a mobile is a
bit tricky, although providers like AA can divert to another number like a
lnadline.

Theo

I don't think either of these offer true forwarding of 07 mobile number
SMS.

I guss if someeeone did, the banks would panic as that would immediately
break their "security" for these 2 factor authentication messages.


As you're alluding to, SMS isn't secure at all. Banks should really stop
treating it as such. However, their only alternative is those annoying home
card readers - I've currently got three! This is only getting worse with
new regulations coming soon.

I wish they'd just use authenticator apps like 'authy' which plenty of
other orgs are happy with.

  #9   Report Post  
Old April 23rd 19, 07:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 534
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

Tweed wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
We have little or no mobile coverage at home (all networks are just as
bad as each other). Many bank and other systems now assume that one
has a mobile phone which can accept SMS messages and it can be a real
nuisance when this isn't possible.

So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages? Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages. If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.



Back to the original problem - how many organisations *require* SMS
authentication? My own bank has the option of an automated voice call to a
landline. Likewise HMRC. I would imagine an SMS only option would preclude
some disabled people and thus be illegal.


TSB used to give you the option, but with the rollout of their new system
it's SMS only now.

  #10   Report Post  
Old April 23rd 19, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Oct 2011
Posts: 402
Default Can one divert a mobile to a landline easily/cheaply?

On 23/04/2019 08:29, Chris wrote:
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 22/04/2019 23:56, Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
So - can one divert a mobile phone number to a landline, including
sending SMS messages? Our landline phones (Siemens Gigaset) *do*
understand SMS messages. If we could have a dedicated mobile number
which was actualy our home (landline) phone it would be really handy.

Some companies provide mobile numbers that receive texts, but then convert
them to email or make an HTTP request to your server. Obviously you need to
think about the security implications of this, but you could use this to get
the message in a more convenient form.

For example:
https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobi...p-information/

https://aql.com/products/messaging/
(although I'm not sure how well they're set up to deal with consumers)

I think you could do similar things with other VOIP apps like Skype In.

Dealing with companies that make verification voice calls to a mobile is a
bit tricky, although providers like AA can divert to another number like a
lnadline.

Theo

I don't think either of these offer true forwarding of 07 mobile number
SMS.

I guss if someeeone did, the banks would panic as that would immediately
break their "security" for these 2 factor authentication messages.


As you're alluding to, SMS isn't secure at all. Banks should really stop
treating it as such. However, their only alternative is those annoying home
card readers - I've currently got three! This is only getting worse with
new regulations coming soon.

I wish they'd just use authenticator apps like 'authy' which plenty of
other orgs are happy with.

SMS can be made secure - even using current systems and standards and
would work with all phones and SIMs since around 1997 - no-one seems to
have chosen to do so.

The last thing we want is to start relying on an app that could be
discountinueed or unsupported on new OS versions.


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Digital Quran adjustable in pocket easily Amjad UK Mobile Phones 0 May 7th 08 11:42 AM
LG CHOCALATE EASILY UNLOCKED TO ALL NETWOKS Mike UK Mobile Phones 4 September 11th 06 05:32 PM
Calling a Vodaphone mobile cheaply from BT? James Salisbury UK Mobile Phones 2 November 4th 05 08:32 AM
black moto V3 - is it easily scratched? Kevin UK Mobile Phones 0 August 18th 05 07:14 PM
Advice sought : Orange - move from PAYG to contract, cheap and easily Tim Charles UK Mobile Phones 2 May 11th 05 06:29 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017