Old April 25th 19, 03:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Orange PAYG & EE

My mum has an Orange PAYG phone and has received a message from EE that
they have taken Orange over and that PAYG is being discontinued and that
she is being moved to a monthly paid EE account. She doesn't want that as
she only gets through about 10 a year in calls.

I found it hard to believe that EE do not have a PAYG option so I did a bit
of searching online but the information is very confused. It seems you can
stop the monthly syphoning off of your PAYG credit by texting "Stop Pack"
to 150, but people are also saying you can't switch to EE's own PAYG except
by ordering a new SIM (and presumably losing the credit on your old one?).

Does anyone know if it is possible to simply switch to EE PAYG without
getting a new SIM and without losing your Orange credit? And if so how.

Also what tariff would it be? With O2 I remember them putting legacy
customers onto an extorionate tariff (22p/min, 1/day internet) and you
only got a decent PAYG tariff (1p/min, 3p/MB internet) if you took the
trouble to research it online and switch manually.

Old April 25th 19, 06:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Gordon Freeman wrote:
My mum has an Orange PAYG phone and has received a message from EE that
they have taken Orange over and that PAYG is being discontinued and that
she is being moved to a monthly paid EE account. She doesn't want that as
she only gets through about 」10 a year in calls.

I found it hard to believe that EE do not have a PAYG option so I did a bit
of searching online but the information is very confused. It seems you can
stop the monthly syphoning off of your PAYG credit by texting "Stop Pack"
to 150, but people are also saying you can't switch to EE's own PAYG except
by ordering a new SIM (and presumably losing the credit on your old one?).

Does anyone know if it is possible to simply switch to EE PAYG without
getting a new SIM and without losing your Orange credit? And if so how.

I doubt it. Customers like your mother probably cost the network money. If
they can find a way to recoup their losses, they will. ;-)

Also what tariff would it be? With O2 I remember them putting legacy
customers onto an extorionate tariff (22p/min, 」1/day internet) and you
only got a decent PAYG tariff (1p/min, 3p/MB internet) if you took the
trouble to research it online and switch manually.

Why not try
https://www.1pmobile.com/index.taf?g...AkTn EALw_wcB
?

Also on the EE network if their coverage suits your needs.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old April 25th 19, 07:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Gordon Freeman wrote:
[...]

I'd say this is telling your mum she needs to move. First thing is to get
her phone unlocked (it might be free online, but EE will charge). Then
she's free to get a PAC and migrate her number to a cheaper network.

Old April 25th 19, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 25/04/2019 04:10, Gordon Freeman wrote:
My mum has an Orange PAYG phone and has received a message from EE that
they have taken Orange over and that PAYG is being discontinued and that
she is being moved to a monthly paid EE account. She doesn't want that as
she only gets through about £10 a year in calls.

They have taken Orange over ages ago. I had a similar problem after I
failed to ensure she (or rather I) made at least one call on it every
six months and they disabled the SIM. That was in 2005 and even then the
EE in store advice to scour Poundland shops for a stale Orange SIM still
in date rather than pay to unlock the phone (which would have more than
doubled its value). I did find a replacement Orange SIM this way.

I found it hard to believe that EE do not have a PAYG option so I did a bit
of searching online but the information is very confused. It seems you can
stop the monthly syphoning off of your PAYG credit by texting "Stop Pack"
to 150, but people are also saying you can't switch to EE's own PAYG except
by ordering a new SIM (and presumably losing the credit on your old one?).

And that new SIM is unlikely to work in an Orange locked phone so
beware. You will also need to obtain an unlocked phone so you might as
well jump ship to somewhere that actually tolerates low spend cunstomers
(at least for now). I expect the others will do similar tricks in time.

Does anyone know if it is possible to simply switch to EE PAYG without
getting a new SIM and without losing your Orange credit? And if so how.

Also what tariff would it be? With O2 I remember them putting legacy
customers onto an extorionate tariff (22p/min, £1/day internet) and you
only got a decent PAYG tariff (1p/min, 3p/MB internet) if you took the
trouble to research it online and switch manually.

If your mum can cope with learning to use a new phone then it might be
worth replacing it and getting either GiffGaff or Three's 123 PAYG SIM.
Otherwise you might have to get the phone unlocked. EE would not do that
for free when I last asked to fit an EE SIM in an Orange locked phone.

My recommendation would be check which other mobile networks have decent
coverage near your mum's house. I slightly prefer Three - other brands
are available. EE seems to be particularly *bad* for light users.

Martin Brown
Old April 25th 19, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu 25/04/2019 04:10, Gordon Freeman wrote:
[...]

For a start O2 Classic is 3-2-1, 3p/min, 1p/Mb.

Yes, it is an internal transfer so she keeps her number, keeps her
credit, but will be moved onto EE PAYG which is very expensive. If she
is on Orange Dolphin she will be or would have been paying 14p/min: on
EE she will pay 35p/min.

It would be easier to get a PAC from EE and move to O2 Classic (you have
to order the SIM on line) and write off the credit held by EE unless it
is huge.

Whatever she/you do DON'T take what you are told in a EE shop as gospel.
My late f-in-l lost his number of many years as the shop told him he
needed a EE SIM but did not do the internal transfer. Call CS on 150
(which is in Dublin) and discuss it with them - they are usually quite
helpful and English is their first language.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 25th 19, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu 25/04/2019 08:47, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I would agree with Martin that GG is good - I use it - but it is not
cheap if you don't have a monthly 'GoodyBag.'

1p mobile is cheap, but if you look at Peter Forman's page
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/
you will find it is necessary to top up £10 every 120 days.

Pete also says - as did I - that O2 Classic is a bargain if Mum has O2
coverage - and you only have to make on charged event (1 min call or a
text) every six months to keep it alive.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old April 25th 19, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 25/04/2019 11:09, Woody wrote:
[...]

I wasn't aware of that. I'm not a particularly light user of mobile data
so expiry times and minimum usage don't really hit my radar any more. I
sometimes use sacrificial bought "On offer" PAYG data SIMs for mobile
data when my contract allowance runs out.

One other possibility for the OP (although his mum's usage is so low
that I don't think they will bother is to try haggling with customer
retention to get a monthly deal that is more to your liking).

1p mobile is cheap, but if you look at Peter Forman's page
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/
you will find it is necessary to top up £10 every 120 days.

Pete also says - as did I - that O2 Classic is a bargain if Mum has O2
coverage - and you only have to make on charged event (1 min call or a
text) every six months to keep it alive.

O2 isn't one I consider because there is no coverage where I live. I
used to be on O2 until they "improved" their network coverage.

A friend who is pretty much up against a cliff face with all the masts
at the top of it can only get Vodafone. Nothing else works there.

Martin Brown
Old April 25th 19, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 25 April 2019 04:10:15 UTC+1, Gordon Freeman wrote:
[...]

O2 classic tariff is very similar to 3's - just text "classic" to 2020 to witch IIRC.

When the PO force switched customers from their prepaid Alpha supported prefix tariff onto a new one (connection charges, up to four times the cost) they eventually sent a cheque for the balance. I don't think EE can just keep your money.
Old April 25th 19, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

Regardless of what follows, do not forget about the phone unlocking
problem mentioned by others. Hopefully you'll be able find an online
code to do it. AFAICR, that's how I managed to unlock an Orange Nokia
of the pre-Smart phone era.

Virgin Mobile are on the EE network, and I have had very good experience
with them, but on a Pay Monthly tariff, their cheapest at then £5pcm now
£5.38pcm. Costs mostly rise by around inflation, very good deal on my
data only SIM, meaning that I've been able to ditch my landline at about
1-1.5Mbps for more money than the £21pcm I'm currently paying Virgin for
the data SIM at 20+Mbps, helpful CS, etc.

So I thought I'd look up the Virgin Mobile PAYG deals for you, or rather
for your mother, to see if anything looks suitable. I'm not sure that
it does, because the page is highly confusing - PAYG deals that
mention JAM packs that look suspiciously like Pay Monthly deals, etc.
FWIW, it's here ...

https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/s...-as-you-go-sim

.... and if you or anyone else can translate the information there into
plain English for the benefit of the rest of us, who knows, it might
prove useful to you, but you'll understand I'm not making any promises!
Old April 25th 19, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu 25/04/2019 12:36, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

As I said before Mac, have a look at Pete Forman's site
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/
it is very enlightening.

To the OP, if the phone is locked it might be easier - assuming Mum is
no spring chicken - to get a Doro 6520 phone. Dig around and you can get
one for about £30, or half that on fleabay. They are very easy to use,
have an alarm system which works(!) and are clam shell design so there's
no chance of silent calls. The text size can also be varied. My wife has
had one for about 4 years (she's only 66) and loves it - mind you she
cannot get on with touch screens as she has a creative mind rather than
one in any way technical.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com