Old May 6th 19, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Three 3-2-1 vs O2 Classic PAYG

Following a recommendation here earlier in the year, I switched my
elderly mother's 2G mobile phone from expensive PAYG to O2 Classic
PAYG and we have been very happy.
It strikes me that my own 3G mobile phone, which isn't used very much
either, could to with coming off giffgaff PAYG rates and onto either
Three 3-2-1 or O2 Classic PAYG. But which to go for ? I don't use
it for data, just the odd call or text.
If I go for Three 3-2-1, are there going to be more places without
coverage than there would be with O2 (who provide both 2G and 3G signals) ?
Or is Three's coverage so much better than O2 ?
If I go for O2 Classic PAYG, then there's no option to use my mother's
phone as an emergency backup if the O2 network goes down - like earlier
in the year.
Decisions, decisioms...

Old May 6th 19, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 06/05/2019 22:59, Andrew Benham wrote:
Following a recommendation here earlier in the year, I switched my
elderly mother's 2G mobile phone from expensive PAYG to O2 Classic
PAYG and we have been very happy.
It strikes me that my own 3G mobile phone, which isn't used very much
either, could to with coming off giffgaff PAYG rates and onto either
Three 3-2-1 or O2 Classic PAYG. But which to go for ? I don't use
it for data, just the odd call or text.
If I go for Three 3-2-1, are there going to be more places without
coverage than there would be with O2 (who provide both 2G and 3G signals) ?
Or is Three's coverage so much better than O2 ?
If I go for O2 Classic PAYG, then there's no option to use my mother's
phone as an emergency backup if the O2 network goes down - like earlier
in the year.
Decisions, decisioms...

We've been with Three's 3-2-1 for years with no problem, but since they
have now decided to ditch the Three In Touch wifi calling app for our
less-than-brand-new smartphones, we have decided to ditch them and go
with O2.

We're sticking with Three for data though, we have laptops with built-in
broadband cards, so the SIMs that give you 200MB free data a month are
ideal, as we don't take our laptops away from home all that often.

Old May 7th 19, 06:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine writes:

[...]

That is good advice from Ria. O2 and 3 are the same for basic calls. 3
are getting better at coverage but still do not serve my home.

I recently had cause to check the roaming rates in the US. 3 still
charge 3p / min, 2p / text, 1p / MB. The rates for O2 are £2.00 / min,
50p / text, £7.20 / MB.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com
Old May 7th 19, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue 07/05/2019 07:10, Pete Forman wrote:
MissRiaElaine writes:

[...]

I suppose if you never go to the US (or outside the greater Europe area)
it won't be a problem.

I am on GG with which I am very pleased, but for reasons various I had
to hand my phone over to my wife for a month or three around the
beginning of the year. I went back to a Samsung Galaxy S3 that had a
3/2/1 SIM on 3 in it - and the coverage was, let us say, noticeably
worse - and I'm using it in a populous area. On the other hand my Huawei
P8Lite on GG rarely was and is without a useable signal. Agreed there
could be a sensitivity issue with the S3, but the amount of no signal
was frightening. [For the record I also notice in one area that I know
well that 3 don't expand 4G into areas were presumably they perceive
little demand where as O2/VF/EE in the same area (EE on the same site!)
do provide 4G.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old May 7th 19, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine writes:

[...]

That is another of the reasons why one of our phones is on Three.
EE in the USA is equally usurious.

I suppose if you never go to the US (or outside the greater Europe area)
it won't be a problem.

I am on GG with which I am very pleased, but for reasons various I had
to hand my phone over to my wife for a month or three around the
beginning of the year. I went back to a Samsung Galaxy S3 that had a
3/2/1 SIM on 3 in it - and the coverage was, let us say, noticeably
worse - and I'm using it in a populous area. On the other hand my Huawei
P8Lite on GG rarely was and is without a useable signal. Agreed there
could be a sensitivity issue with the S3, but the amount of no signal
was frightening. [For the record I also notice in one area that I know
well that 3 don't expand 4G into areas were presumably they perceive
little demand where as O2/VF/EE in the same area (EE on the same site!)
do provide 4G.

One reason that I have EE and my wife has Three is that there are
comparatively few places where one or the other does not have signal.
North Yorkshire EE coverage is noticeably better than O2 or Three.

Martin Brown

Old May 7th 19, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Monday, 6 May 2019 23:00:00 UTC+1, Andrew Benham wrote:
Following a recommendation here earlier in the year, I switched my
elderly mother's 2G mobile phone from expensive PAYG to O2 Classic
PAYG and we have been very happy.
It strikes me that my own 3G mobile phone, which isn't used very much
either, could to with coming off giffgaff PAYG rates and onto either
Three 3-2-1 or O2 Classic PAYG. But which to go for ? I don't use
it for data, just the odd call or text.
If I go for Three 3-2-1, are there going to be more places without
coverage than there would be with O2 (who provide both 2G and 3G signals) ?
Or is Three's coverage so much better than O2 ?
If I go for O2 Classic PAYG, then there's no option to use my mother's
phone as an emergency backup if the O2 network goes down - like earlier
in the year.
Decisions, decisioms...

If you mainly stay in urban areas with goodd 3/4G coverage there won't be much in it other than O2's customer service being better than 3's.

If you go to the sticks much then the availability of 2G signal will make O2 the easy choice.

O2 also allow 4G and Wi-Fi calling (latter good in large steel buildings with Wi-Fi) on contract and probably on P&G.
Old May 7th 19, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 06/05/2019 22:59, Andrew Benham wrote:
Following a recommendation here earlier in the year, I switched my
elderly mother's 2G mobile phone from expensive PAYG to O2 Classic
PAYG and we have been very happy.
It strikes me that my own 3G mobile phone, which isn't used very much
either, could to with coming off giffgaff PAYG rates and onto either
Three 3-2-1 or O2 Classic PAYG. But which to go for ? I don't use
it for data, just the odd call or text.
If I go for Three 3-2-1, are there going to be more places without
coverage than there would be with O2 (who provide both 2G and 3G signals) ?
Or is Three's coverage so much better than O2 ?
If I go for O2 Classic PAYG, then there's no option to use my mother's
phone as an emergency backup if the O2 network goes down - like earlier
in the year.
Decisions, decisioms...

Nobody's mentioned 1p Mobile in this thread - it's just like Three 3-2-1
except it's 1-1-1! It uses the EE network which I find pretty good.

Malcolm
Old May 7th 19, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On Tue 07/05/2019 07:10, Pete Forman wrote:

That is good advice from Ria. O2 and 3 are the same for basic calls. 3
are getting better at coverage but still do not serve my home.

....snips...

One reason that I have EE and my wife has Three is that there are
comparatively few places where one or the other does not have signal.
North Yorkshire EE coverage is noticeably better than O2 or Three.

I don't know if it's still the case, but Three went through a phase a
few years ago of drastically reducing their 2G coverage (which AIUI was
only ever a side effect of cell site sharing). I upgraded to a 3G phone
anyway so this ceased to worry me but it may be a factor for some users.

Nick

Old May 7th 19, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 7 May 2019 14:48:47 +0100, Malcolm Loades
wrote:

[...]

It requires a ten pound top up every 120 days, so not
too good for very light users.
Old May 7th 19, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/05/2019 16:16, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On Tue 07/05/2019 07:10, Pete Forman wrote:

That is good advice from Ria. O2 and 3 are the same for basic calls. 3
are getting better at coverage but still do not serve my home.

...snips...

One reason that I have EE and my wife has Three is that there are
comparatively few places where one or the other does not have signal.
North Yorkshire EE coverage is noticeably better than O2 or Three.

I don't know if it's still the case, but Three went through a phase a
few years ago of drastically reducing their 2G coverage (which AIUI was
only ever a side effect of cell site sharing). I upgraded to a 3G phone
anyway so this ceased to worry me but it may be a factor for some users.

Three always was aimed squarely at 3G phone users. Clue is in the name.

Martin Brown