Old May 13th 19, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default ScotRail phone chargers

On 11/05/2019 17:23, Tweed wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
On 11 May 2019 12:09:12 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 11 May 2019 12:51:54 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 11/05/2019 09:15, Scott wrote:
I saw a ScotRail branded phone charger for £5 yesterday. I cannot
find any details online. As a bit of a railways man myself, I would
quite like to have one. Is it likely to be a proper piece of kit or
some cheap rubbish with ScotRail's logo? At least if it goes on fire
on a train I could disclaim liability :-)

It's probably cheap crap, but for a fiver I'd say go for it.

I don't want to risk my non cheap crap phone to save a few pounds.

Don't you have a mains charger already? Just use that. They have standard
mains sockets on many trains and sometimes USB sockets for charging too.
Of course if you just want some Scotrail branded tat you might as well
just
buy it. ;-)

How do we know it's tat?

the clue is in the 5 quid price tag

Do you want to guess how much it cost to replace my (lost) branded Canon
charger

65 quid!

Just for a ****ing charger!

Needless to say, I bought the generic equivalent (which broke after 18
months!)

tim

There is a genuine risk in using chargers that are too cheap. A quick
Google will reveal countless instances of house fires started by cheap
chargers. Occasionally they connect people to the mains as well and kill
them. Cheap chargers often miss out safety cut out components and violate
the minimum spacings between parts at mains potential and the low voltage
side.

These are mostly from outside the EU. Devices with the proper CE mark
are perfectly safe.

Apple got so concerned at one point that they allowed you to trade in
your dodgy charger for a genuine Apple one for £5.

Caused by chinese grey imports or counterfeits.

Any fool can build a
cheap charger, designing a properly safe one is harder than you might at
first think. Do you imagine that Scot Rail’s marketing department has the
necessary skill set to properly specify the purchase of such a device?

Do you really believe ScotRail designed the charger? It'll have been
produced by a branding company which buys in generic tat (USB sticks,
chargers, battery packs, etc) and labels them at a small additional cost
per 100 or 1000 items. Extremely common practice - I've bought some
myself for work. e.g.
https://www.expressusbdrives.co.uk/usb-sticks

The only risk from the these cheap products is that they'll stop working
without warning and you'll have wasted your fiver.

Old May 13th 19, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Define a 'proper CE mark' and how to distinguish this from a
counterfeit CE mark.
Old May 13th 19, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Exactly. CE marking is worthless. Chinese fakers happily print them on
their goods. Even goods produced by “reputable” manufacturers are self
certified. There is no requirement for independent testing. It can come
down to “it’s safe because we say it is”. Sure, they *might* just end up in
court if things go wrong, but it’s highly unlikely, especially across legal
jurisdictions. I’m afraid I just don’t have the faith that cheap devices
purchased by a marketing department for a couple of quid are
unconditionally safe.

Even where the CE mark is not faked, the importer into the EU is
responsible for the CE marking. Apart from the large well known companies,
do you honestly believe the general import-export business sends the PSU
for rigorous independent testing, or knows how to assemble a proper
technical reference file?

Designing a proper power supply is quite hard, especially understanding the
various obscure failure modes and the 0.001% that fail in a dangerous way.

Old May 14th 19, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

The trouble is that the Chinese knock off copies think CE stands for
"Chinese Engineering" and so add it to their products too.

Unless you are in the habit of taking a bath with your iPhone in hand
and on charge the risk from USB chargers is quite limited. The odd one
may go wrong but then so do the ones that Samsung and Apple make.

I tend to use Apple ones with everything but have HUDL and Samsung ones
kicking around. I'd quite happily charger an iP*d from any of them.

Martin Brown
Old May 14th 19, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

The odd one
may go wrong but then so do the ones that Samsung and Apple make.

I tend to use Apple ones with everything but have HUDL and Samsung ones
kicking around. I'd quite happily charger an iP*d from any of them.

No need to buy premium brands. There are plenty of good chargers around
even the amazon labelled ones are pretty good and cheap.

Old May 14th 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

If you are in the habit of taking a bath with a mains extension cord
balanced on your chest then a Darwin award is really quite inevitable.
It would have been the same if he had an electric fire plugged in too!

If we go down the US litigious line then the bases of glass bottles will
have to be stamped "open other end".

The odd one may go wrong but then so do the ones that Samsung and
Apple make.

I tend to use Apple ones with everything but have HUDL and Samsung
ones kicking around. I'd quite happily charger an iP*d from any of them.

No need to buy premium brands. There are plenty of good chargers around
even the amazon labelled ones are pretty good and cheap.

There are a few cheapo ones that are bad designs or missing components
and for example jam mobile phone signals in their vicinity. My
brother-in-laws previous BT branded handset charging bases were pretty
bad in this respect. It was only when they were replaced that we noticed
that the mobile signal in his kitchen suddenly improved enormously.

Martin Brown
Old May 14th 19, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

All the reports are really unclear, but my understanding is it was his
phone that was on his chest, the extension cord was on the floor.

The coroner's report doesn't mention an extension cord, however.
https://www.judiciary.uk/publications/richard-bull/

Old May 14th 19, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/05/2019 13:57, Martin Brown wrote:

The trouble is that the Chinese knock off copies think CE stands for
"Chinese Engineering" and so add it to their products too.

The Chinese CE usually has the two letters closer together than the EU
version. In the latter, if you imagine both letters as complete circles,
they will just touch. On the fake version, they overlap.

Old May 14th 19, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 14/05/2019 13:57, Martin Brown wrote:

The trouble is that the Chinese knock off copies think CE stands for
"Chinese Engineering" and so add it to their products too.

The Chinese CE usually has the two letters closer together than the EU
version. In the latter, if you imagine both letters as complete circles,
they will just touch. On the fake version, they overlap.

Yes but. It’s not always like that. Anyone willing to produce a dodgy
charger is more than willing to faithfully reproduce the
EU CE mark.

Old May 14th 19, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/05/2019 18:33, Tweed wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 14/05/2019 13:57, Martin Brown wrote:

The trouble is that the Chinese knock off copies think CE stands for
"Chinese Engineering" and so add it to their products too.

The Chinese CE usually has the two letters closer together than the EU
version. In the latter, if you imagine both letters as complete circles,
they will just touch. On the fake version, they overlap.

Yes but. It’s not always like that. Anyone willing to produce a dodgy
charger is more than willing to faithfully reproduce the
EU CE mark.

But they very often don't bother.