Old May 14th 19, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default ScotRail phone chargers

Martin Brown wrote:
On 13/05/2019 17:48, Chris wrote:
On 11/05/2019 17:23, Tweed wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
On 11 May 2019 12:09:12 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 11 May 2019 12:51:54 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 11/05/2019 09:15, Scott wrote:
I saw a ScotRail branded phone charger for £5 yesterday.* I cannot
find any details online.* As a bit of a railways man myself, I
would
quite like to have one.* Is it likely to be a proper piece of
kit or
some cheap rubbish with ScotRail's logo?* At least if it goes on
fire
on a train I could disclaim liability :-)

It's probably cheap crap, but for a fiver I'd say go for it.

I don't want to risk my non cheap crap phone to save a few pounds.

Don't you have a mains charger already? Just use that. They have
standard
mains sockets on many trains and sometimes USB sockets for charging
too.
Of course if you just want some Scotrail branded tat you might as well
just
buy it. ;-)

How do we know it's tat?

the clue is in the 5 quid price tag

Do you want to guess how much it cost to replace my (lost) branded Canon
charger

65 quid!

Just for a ****ing charger!

Needless to say, I bought the generic equivalent (which broke after 18
months!)

tim

There is a genuine risk in using chargers that are too cheap. A quick
Google will reveal countless instances of house fires started by cheap
chargers. Occasionally they connect people to the mains as well and kill
them. Cheap chargers often miss out safety cut out components and violate
the minimum spacings between parts at mains potential and the low voltage
side.

These are mostly from outside the EU. Devices with the proper CE mark
are perfectly safe.

The trouble is that the Chinese knock off copies think CE stands for
"Chinese Engineering" and so add it to their products too.

A "proper CE mark" is more than just the printed label. The product must
have met certain requirements of safety and quality. If you buy stuff from
dodgy places then you will know that all not is as it seems.

Old May 15th 19, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Could ScotRail inadvertently fall into the category of a 'dodgy
place'?