Old May 11th 19, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default ScotRail phone chargers

I saw a ScotRail branded phone charger for 5 yesterday. I cannot
find any details online. As a bit of a railways man myself, I would
quite like to have one. Is it likely to be a proper piece of kit or
some cheap rubbish with ScotRail's logo? At least if it goes on fire
on a train I could disclaim liability :-)

Old May 11th 19, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/05/2019 09:15, Scott wrote:
I saw a ScotRail branded phone charger for £5 yesterday. I cannot
find any details online. As a bit of a railways man myself, I would
quite like to have one. Is it likely to be a proper piece of kit or
some cheap rubbish with ScotRail's logo? At least if it goes on fire
on a train I could disclaim liability :-)

It's probably cheap crap, but for a fiver I'd say go for it.

Old May 11th 19, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 11 May 2019 12:51:54 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 11/05/2019 09:15, Scott wrote:
I saw a ScotRail branded phone charger for 5 yesterday. I cannot
find any details online. As a bit of a railways man myself, I would
quite like to have one. Is it likely to be a proper piece of kit or
some cheap rubbish with ScotRail's logo? At least if it goes on fire
on a train I could disclaim liability :-)

It's probably cheap crap, but for a fiver I'd say go for it.

I don't want to risk my non cheap crap phone to save a few pounds.
Old May 11th 19, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On 11/05/2019 09:15, Scott wrote:
I saw a ScotRail branded phone charger for £5 yesterday. I cannot
find any details online. As a bit of a railways man myself, I would
quite like to have one. Is it likely to be a proper piece of kit or
some cheap rubbish with ScotRail's logo? At least if it goes on fire
on a train I could disclaim liability :-)

It's probably cheap crap, but for a fiver I'd say go for it.

I don't want to risk my non cheap crap phone to save a few pounds.

Don’t you have a mains charger already? Just use that. They have standard
mains sockets on many trains and sometimes USB sockets for charging too.
Of course if you just want some Scotrail branded tat you might as well just
buy it. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old May 11th 19, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On 11/05/2019 09:15, Scott wrote:
I saw a ScotRail branded phone charger for 5 yesterday. I cannot
find any details online. As a bit of a railways man myself, I would
quite like to have one. Is it likely to be a proper piece of kit or
some cheap rubbish with ScotRail's logo? At least if it goes on fire
on a train I could disclaim liability :-)

It's probably cheap crap, but for a fiver I'd say go for it.

I don't want to risk my non cheap crap phone to save a few pounds.

Dont you have a mains charger already? Just use that. They have standard
mains sockets on many trains and sometimes USB sockets for charging too.
Of course if you just want some Scotrail branded tat you might as well just
buy it. ;-)

How do we know it's tat? It might be the same as ScotRail 'building
the best railway Scotland has ever had' :-)

Old May 11th 19, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On 11/05/2019 09:15, Scott wrote:
I saw a ScotRail branded phone charger for £5 yesterday. I cannot
find any details online. As a bit of a railways man myself, I would
quite like to have one. Is it likely to be a proper piece of kit or
some cheap rubbish with ScotRail's logo? At least if it goes on fire
on a train I could disclaim liability :-)

It's probably cheap crap, but for a fiver I'd say go for it.

I don't want to risk my non cheap crap phone to save a few pounds.

Don’t you have a mains charger already? Just use that. They have standard
mains sockets on many trains and sometimes USB sockets for charging too.
Of course if you just want some Scotrail branded tat you might as well just
buy it. ;-)

How do we know it's tat? It might be the same as ScotRail 'building
the best railway Scotland has ever had' :-)

I rest my case, m'lud.

Old May 11th 19, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On 11/05/2019 09:15, Scott wrote:
I saw a ScotRail branded phone charger for 5 yesterday. I cannot
find any details online. As a bit of a railways man myself, I would
quite like to have one. Is it likely to be a proper piece of kit or
some cheap rubbish with ScotRail's logo? At least if it goes on fire
on a train I could disclaim liability :-)

It's probably cheap crap, but for a fiver I'd say go for it.

I don't want to risk my non cheap crap phone to save a few pounds.

Don't you have a mains charger already? Just use that. They have standard
mains sockets on many trains and sometimes USB sockets for charging too.
Of course if you just want some Scotrail branded tat you might as well
just
buy it. ;-)

How do we know it's tat?

the clue is in the 5 quid price tag

Do you want to guess how much it cost to replace my (lost) branded Canon
charger

65 quid!

Just for a ****ing charger!

Needless to say, I bought the generic equivalent (which broke after 18
months!)

tim

Old May 11th 19, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

There is a genuine risk in using chargers that are too cheap. A quick
Google will reveal countless instances of house fires started by cheap
chargers. Occasionally they connect people to the mains as well and kill
them. Cheap chargers often miss out safety cut out components and violate
the minimum spacings between parts at mains potential and the low voltage
side. Apple got so concerned at one point that they allowed you to trade in
your dodgy charger for a genuine Apple one for £5. Any fool can build a
cheap charger, designing a properly safe one is harder than you might at
first think. Do you imagine that Scot Rail’s marketing department has the
necessary skill set to properly specify the purchase of such a device?

Old May 11th 19, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/05/2019 17:23, Tweed wrote:

There is a genuine risk in using chargers that are too cheap. A quick
Google will reveal countless instances of house fires started by cheap
chargers. Occasionally they connect people to the mains as well and kill
them. Cheap chargers often miss out safety cut out components and violate
the minimum spacings between parts at mains potential and the low voltage
side. Apple got so concerned at one point that they allowed you to trade in
your dodgy charger for a genuine Apple one for £5. Any fool can build a
cheap charger, designing a properly safe one is harder than you might at
first think. Do you imagine that Scot Rail’s marketing department has the
necessary skill set to properly specify the purchase of such a device?

+1. I will always only use manufacturer-supplied chargers for kit that
matters, like phones or laptops. For less important stuff I have a box
full of various power supplies/bricks that I've acquired over the years,
one of those will usually suffice, or if not I have a couple of variable
voltage bench supplies that will go anything up to 32A if required.

Old May 13th 19, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 11 May 2019 16:23:42 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Make sure to use it only on the train then :-)