Old May 15th 19, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Suddenly have a doubt about diverting calls

Am going abroad shortly and my current SIM provider (idmobile) has
extortionate prices for the US. So, I thought "fine. I'll just get a Three
SIM and divert my calls to that whilst in away".

I've never done this before and now I have a doubt. Will what I thought
work? I want to use the same phone, but swap the SIMs and still get calls
to my usual number, on idmobile, sent to my new three SIM.

I see the call forwarding option is on the phone not at the network level,
so if I swap SIMs it won't work. Is that right?

Old May 16th 19, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/05/2019 20:23, Chris wrote:

Am going abroad shortly and my current SIM provider (idmobile) has
extortionate prices for the US. So, I thought "fine. I'll just get a Three
SIM and divert my calls to that whilst in away".

I've never done this before and now I have a doubt. Will what I thought
work? I want to use the same phone, but swap the SIMs and still get calls
to my usual number, on idmobile, sent to my new three SIM.

I see the call forwarding option is on the phone not at the network level,
so if I swap SIMs it won't work. Is that right?

No - it's on a network level (assuming that idmobile permit it - a lot
of operators don't).

Note that even if it is allowed, SMS won't be forwarded.
Old May 16th 19, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/05/2019 09:05, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 15/05/2019 20:23, Chris wrote:

Am going abroad shortly and my current SIM provider (idmobile) has
extortionate prices for the US. So, I thought "fine. I'll just get a
Three
SIM and divert my calls to that whilst in away".

I've never done this before and now I have a doubt. Will what I thought
work? I want to use the same phone, but swap the SIMs and still get calls
to my usual number, on idmobile, sent to my new three SIM.

I see the call forwarding option is on the phone not at the network
level,
so if I swap SIMs it won't work. Is that right?

No - it's on a network level (assuming that idmobile permit it - a lot
of operators don't).

OK. I'm going to have to test it.

Note that even if it is allowed, SMS won't be forwarded.

Yes. I was aware of that.

Thanks.
Old May 16th 19, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chris wrote:
On 16/05/2019 09:05, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 15/05/2019 20:23, Chris wrote:

Am going abroad shortly and my current SIM provider (idmobile) has
extortionate prices for the US. So, I thought "fine. I'll just get a
Three
SIM and divert my calls to that whilst in away".

I've never done this before and now I have a doubt. Will what I thought
work? I want to use the same phone, but swap the SIMs and still get calls
to my usual number, on idmobile, sent to my new three SIM.

I see the call forwarding option is on the phone not at the network
level,
so if I swap SIMs it won't work. Is that right?

No - it's on a network level (assuming that idmobile permit it - a lot
of operators don't).

OK. I'm going to have to test it.

Yep, as you say it's at the network level. Doubt over. Many thanks.

Old May 20th 19, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 2019-05-16, Chris wrote:
Chris wrote:
On 16/05/2019 09:05, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 15/05/2019 20:23, Chris wrote:

Am going abroad shortly and my current SIM provider (idmobile) has
extortionate prices for the US. So, I thought "fine. I'll just get a
Three
SIM and divert my calls to that whilst in away".

I've never done this before and now I have a doubt. Will what I thought
work? I want to use the same phone, but swap the SIMs and still get calls
to my usual number, on idmobile, sent to my new three SIM.

I see the call forwarding option is on the phone not at the network
level,
so if I swap SIMs it won't work. Is that right?

No - it's on a network level (assuming that idmobile permit it - a lot
of operators don't).

OK. I'm going to have to test it.

Yep, as you say it's at the network level. Doubt over. Many thanks.

It's also worth noting that a divert all calls (the unconditional divert)
can even be done while abroad, and it's the home network that handles it.

I realised I'd forgotten to divert my giffgaff number to a VoIP number
before I got on the plane, so I did it as soon as I arrived in China.

Subsequent calls were charged from my bundle, not tromboned via China
at £1/minute each way - thankfully

Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/