Old June 2nd 19, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Telegram creepiness

After the WhatsApp hack and recommendations here and there , I thought I'd
give telegram a try.

During installation it asked for access to my contacts which I explicitly
denied. Now a work colleague said they got notification that I had joined
telegram. What the hell?! How on earth did it do that!? It doesn't fill me
privacy confidence which is its USP.

Old June 2nd 19, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chris wrote:

I thought I'd give telegram a try.

During installation it asked for access to my contacts which I explicitly
denied. Now a work colleague said they got notification that I had joined
telegram. What the hell?! How on earth did it do that!?

Perhaps your colleague gave it permission to *his* contacts which
includes you, and Telegram matches that to your phone's number?

Old June 2nd 19, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 02/06/2019 13:41, Chris wrote:

After the WhatsApp hack and recommendations here and there , I thought I'd
give telegram a try.

During installation it asked for access to my contacts which I explicitly
denied. Now a work colleague said they got notification that I had joined
telegram. What the hell?! How on earth did it do that!? It doesn't fill me
privacy confidence which is its USP.

Viber did the same (is it still going ?)

--
Mark
Old June 2nd 19, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 02/06/2019 15:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris wrote:

I thought I'd give telegram a try.

During installation it asked for access to my contacts which I explicitly
denied. Now a work colleague said they got notification that I had joined
telegram. What the hell?! How on earth did it do that!?

Perhaps your colleague gave it permission to *his* contacts which
includes you, and Telegram matches that to your phone's number?

That is how it says it works. If so its pretty pointless denying it
access to your contacts. If you read the terms:-

"We store your up-to-date contacts in order to notify you as soon as one
of your contacts signs up for Telegram and to properly display names in
notifications. We only need the number and name (first and last) for
this to work and store no other data about your contacts"

So it uses YOUR contacts to tell YOU who has signed up....
.... which is why your colleague knows you have signed up...

It could be worse. WhatsApp T&Cs require you to share your address book

Dave

Old June 3rd 19, 07:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chris wrote:

[...]

That makes sense. So much for trying to be incognito

It could be worse. WhatsApp T&Cs require you to share your address book

Old June 3rd 19, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 15:10:48 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Chris wrote:

I thought I'd give telegram a try.

During installation it asked for access to my contacts which I
explicitly denied. Now a work colleague said they got notification
that I had joined telegram. What the hell?! How on earth did it do
that!?

Perhaps your colleague gave it permission to *his* contacts which
includes you, and Telegram matches that to your phone's number?

Probably "Contacts" are separate accesswise from your number.

I don't expect you can deny an app. access to your phones number. Never
seen such a request myself.

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: (Address will be valid throughout
June).

Old June 3rd 19, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 21:34:13 +0100, David Wade
wrote:
[snip].

It could be worse. WhatsApp T&Cs require you to share your address book

That was certainly my concern about work related numbers.
Old June 3rd 19, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Martin Nicholas wrote:

I don't expect you can deny an app. access to your phones number. Never
seen such a request myself.

On older android versions, apps are granted
android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE without asking, which allows them to
read call status and phone number.

On less ancient versions it's classed as a "dangerous" permission and an
app needs to ask for it, alternatively the app can still target the
older android version and avoid having to ask, I don't know which
approach apps such as Telegraph take?