Old June 4th 19, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default POTUS's Tweets

On 04/06/2019 15:52, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/06/2019 08:03, Chris wrote:

Yep. It lasts two years and costs about a tenner. You fill it in
online and
gets approved within a day as long as you don't check the box marked "Are
you a terrorist? "

Who the **** is ever going to say yes to that question..?!

There are idiots who tell the security people at airports that they have
a bomb or drugs then wonder why they are held up.

Didn't Peter Ustinov answer "sole purpose of visit" when asked if he was
going to overthrow the US government?

Old June 4th 19, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 04/06/2019 17:40, Andrew Benham wrote:
Nobody. But if you turn out to be a terrorist and didn't check that box,
then they can prosecute you for making an invalid application - which is
presumably an easy court case. Bit like Al Capone getting prosecuted for
tax evasion.

Though I suppose that is not going to worry you too much if you are
about to get life imprisonment as a terrorist.

Old June 4th 19, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/06/2019 08:03, Chris wrote:

Yep. It lasts two years and costs about a tenner. You fill it in online and
gets approved within a day as long as you don't check the box marked "Are
you a terrorist? "

Who the **** is ever going to say yes to that question..?!

I know!

It's an update to the "are you a member of the Nazi party or convicted of
war crimes?" question. Obviously the current administration is in favour of
these people.

Old June 4th 19, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 04/06/2019 18:27, Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/06/2019 08:03, Chris wrote:

Yep. It lasts two years and costs about a tenner. You fill it in online and
gets approved within a day as long as you don't check the box marked "Are
you a terrorist? "

Who the **** is ever going to say yes to that question..?!

I know!

It's an update to the "are you a member of the Nazi party or convicted of
war crimes?" question. Obviously the current administration is in favour of
these people.

there is a Frank Zappa song Welcome to the United States, its on the
album The Yellow Shark, it has some bearing on the above paragraph

--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.
Old June 4th 19, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Apd Apd is offline

"Andrew Benham" wrote:
On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 15:52:30 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/06/2019 08:03, Chris wrote:
Yep. It lasts two years and costs about a tenner. You fill it in online and
gets approved within a day as long as you don't check the box marked "Are
you a terrorist? "

Who the **** is ever going to say yes to that question..?!

Nobody. But if you turn out to be a terrorist and didn't check that box,
then they can prosecute you for making an invalid application - which is
presumably an easy court case.

I don't think so. If there is such a question, any so-called terrorist
would of course not describe themselves as such. They would insist
they are a freedom fighter or similar.

Old June 5th 19, 04:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 10:40:09 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 03/06/2019 19:04, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 03/06/2019 18:06, Woody wrote:
On Mon 03/06/2019 16:28, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 03/06/2019 14:59, MB wrote:
The media are making a lot of Trump busy typing his Tweets about
London's useless mayor as his aircraft came into land at Stanstead.

Is it not more likely that he had typed them on his Blackberry
earlier and they were transmitted as they came into range of the UK
mobile network?

I couldn't give two hoots about Trump or any of his rantings. It's
through him that I'll never be able to visit friends in the States
again. I refuse point blank to give 5 years history of my email
accounts and phone numbers to get into the country. I'm not sure I
even remember what phone numbers I had 5 years ago.

I think, Ria, that you have got the wrong end of the handle. AFAICT
the queries are only voluntary and are selective on people with Arab
or Islamic connections. They don't require history, only your social
media names and your latest employment and as I said it is voluntary.

Or are you a clandestine member of ISIS which none of us knew?

See he

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-...eporting-story

Unless I'm missing something..?

The thing you seem to have missed is that as a UK citizen you can visit
the USA for up to 90 days under the Visa waiver program aka ESTA.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/

But watch out for fake sites that take your money and do nothing.

Unless your name is on a watch list or something bad. I knew one poor
sod who has to tick the box "have you ever been refused entry to the
USA?" after getting on a transatlantic flight without a valid passport.

There was someone who was prosecuted by his local council for putting
garden waste in the wrong bin.

That conviction meant that he could no longer travel to the USA on the
visa waiver system, so he has to apply for a visa at the embassy.

Old June 5th 19, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 05/06/2019 05:07, Chris in Makati wrote:
There was someone who was prosecuted by his local council for putting
garden waste in the wrong bin.

That conviction meant that he could no longer travel to the USA on the
visa waiver system, so he has to apply for a visa at the embassy.

Doesn't a "police caution" give people a record which they have to
declare? They are often accepted as a way of escaping prosecution
without realising the consequences.

Old June 7th 19, 04:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 18:14:17 +0100, MB wrote:

On 04/06/2019 15:52, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/06/2019 08:03, Chris wrote:

Yep. It lasts two years and costs about a tenner. You fill it in
online and
gets approved within a day as long as you don't check the box marked "Are
you a terrorist? "

Who the **** is ever going to say yes to that question..?!

There are idiots who tell the security people at airports that they have
a bomb or drugs then wonder why they are held up.

Didn't Peter Ustinov answer "sole purpose of visit" when asked if he was
going to overthrow the US government?

Gilbert Harding, I think.
Old June 7th 19, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 04/06/2019 08:54, Someone Somewhere wrote:

Which I assume has wifi, and so does Air Force One (or in fact Air Force
One may have pico cells on board and it's own mobile network).

It was probably a better connection for anyone stood in the doorway of
the plane, than any of the UK networks at Stanstead !

--
Mark
Old June 9th 19, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Friday, 7 June 2019 05:44:34 UTC+1, Optimist wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 18:14:17 +0100, MB wrote:

On 04/06/2019 15:52, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/06/2019 08:03, Chris wrote:

Yep. It lasts two years and costs about a tenner. You fill it in
online and
gets approved within a day as long as you don't check the box marked "Are
you a terrorist? "

Who the **** is ever going to say yes to that question..?!

There are idiots who tell the security people at airports that they have
a bomb or drugs then wonder why they are held up.

Didn't Peter Ustinov answer "sole purpose of visit" when asked if he was
going to overthrow the US government?

Gilbert Harding, I think.

Noel Coward, I think.

NC was [allegedly] also asked by Australian immigration if he has a criminal record. "Why no he replied - I didn't realise it was still obligatory!"