Old June 12th 19, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default USB-C question

I have finally replaced my phone after all repair attempts failed. I
bought a Pixel 3a, attracted by the offer of updates direct from
Google instead of relying on third parties (which has proved
unreliable in the past).

The phone comes with an 18 watt charger and USB-C lead. However, this
is a three-pin charger, and I also want a two-pin (euro) charger for
use overseas. I can't see any to purchase and I do not anticipate
Google providing one FOC. It occurs to me that I could buy a USB-C to
USB lead and use an existing charger. Clearly, charging would take
longer. Google counsel against this on the basis that a less powerful
charger my not charge the phone and may cause damage. Is this a real
concern with a reputable charger or are they really trying to
discourage poor qualty equipment?

Scott

PS Does anyone want a Moto G4 Play? It is perfectly okay apart from
not making any calls or sending any texts so may interest anyone with
electronics knowledge. Free to a good home!

Old June 12th 19, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 12/06/2019 17:09, Scott wrote:
[...]

our local pharmacy has a stack of travel adapters to plug your 3 pink uk
thing into and plug that into whatever country you are in, have a look
in yours

--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.
Old June 12th 19, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 18:08:05 +0100, Martin Smith
wrote:

[...]

I'm aware of these but I don't want that sort of clutter. I want to
be able to use a dedicated euro type charger as the natives do. .
Old June 12th 19, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 17:09:02 +0100, Scott wrote:

I have finally replaced my phone after all repair attempts failed. I
bought a Pixel 3a, attracted by the offer of updates direct from Google
instead of relying on third parties (which has proved unreliable in the
past).

The phone comes with an 18 watt charger and USB-C lead. However, this
is a three-pin charger, and I also want a two-pin (euro) charger for use
overseas. I can't see any to purchase and I do not anticipate Google
providing one FOC. It occurs to me that I could buy a USB-C to USB lead
and use an existing charger. Clearly, charging would take longer.
Google counsel against this on the basis that a less powerful charger my
not charge the phone and may cause damage. Is this a real concern with
a reputable charger or are they really trying to discourage poor qualty
equipment?

Well, many of these chargers come with exchangeable pins, to save on
costs. For example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078GMRBZZ

Or this is probably what you are looking for (and I like Anker):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Deliv...rt-Samsung/dp/
B07GV63WGC
Old June 12th 19, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 12 Jun 2019 20:35:07 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

A bit bulky for my liking.

Or this is probably what you are looking for (and I like Anker):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Deliv...rt-Samsung/dp/
B07GV63WGC

Is it definitely compatible with the phone? The Pixel C seems to be a
tablet. The phone claims to have some sort of special charging
software.

I have now found this:
https://www.amazon.de/Original-Googl...t eway&sr=8-5

Am I missing something? I have ordered from the German site before so
I don't think they object to a UK address. This could change with
Brexit of course!

Old June 12th 19, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wednesday, 12 June 2019 17:09:07 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
[...]

1. lower output chargers should work and charge the phone more slowly.
2. Very cheap chargers might be out of spec' on voltage, low output or disobey USB commands, but decent ones should be OK.
3. Marny chargers have interchangeable main plug faces - Motorola definitely (but proprietary phone plug), and an adapter for a portable TV we bought recently.
Old June 12th 19, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 21:49:22 +0100, Scott wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Deliv...rt-Samsung/dp/
B07GV63WGC

Is it definitely compatible with the phone? The Pixel C seems to be a
tablet. The phone claims to have some sort of special charging
software.

That's in the phone, not in the charger. I use an Anker for my own Pixel
C.
Old June 13th 19, 07:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:

It occurs to me that I could buy a USB-C to
USB lead and use an existing charger.

Not all USB-C kit is born equal. Because the standard has various
voltages available instead of the older standard's 5V only, there is
the very real possibility of damage with sub-standard cables in
particular.

That said, reputable devices and cables will be fine. Just don't go for
anything unbranded and make sure the power end complies with QC3.

https://www.androidauthority.com/qui...lained-643053/

Google's assertion seems to be in response to the cheap, shoddy end of
the market. The whole point of the standard is interoperability and
reducing WEEE by making things compatible.
--
Your grandeur passes, and your pageantry,
Your lordships pass, your kingdoms pass; and Time

Old June 13th 19, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 12 Jun 2019 22:38:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 21:49:22 +0100, Scott wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Deliv...rt-Samsung/dp/
B07GV63WGC

Is it definitely compatible with the phone? The Pixel C seems to be a
tablet. The phone claims to have some sort of special charging
software.

That's in the phone, not in the charger. I use an Anker for my own Pixel
C.

Thanks. I ordered it via German Amazon and they have accepted my
order without query. There was no postage surcharge as I assume they
will fulfil via a UK warehouse.
Old June 13th 19, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:

It occurs to me that I could buy a USB-C to
USB lead and use an existing charger.

Not all USB-C kit is born equal. Because the standard has various
voltages available instead of the older standard's 5V only, there is
the very real possibility of damage with sub-standard cables in
particular.

That said, reputable devices and cables will be fine. Just don't go for
anything unbranded and make sure the power end complies with QC3.

https://www.androidauthority.com/qui...lained-643053/

Google's assertion seems to be in response to the cheap, shoddy end of
the market. The whole point of the standard is interoperability and
reducing WEEE by making things compatible.

Is there any argument that charging with a 5 Watt charger would extend
the life of the battery?