Old June 22nd 19, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Maybe a silly question

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 19:56:03 +0100, Woody wrote:

On Sat 22/06/2019 19:31, Graham. wrote:
Woody wrote:
On Sat 22/06/2019 10:55, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've tried numerous times to ring a mobile from a Virgin Media
landline - Mobile 07975 - if that helps.
I get the message, "sorry, there is no reply".
Am I being charged for these calls?

You shouldn't be as it is an uncompleted call - charging usually
starts when the called person answers. Having said that does it ring
out before that message or do you just get the message, and if the
latter is it immediate or after about 16 seconds or so?

Now whether you will be charged for the call connection is a different
matter altogether! Morally I would have thought not but since when
have morals had any part in cellular-think?

Well it rings, then I get the message after about 16 seconds of ringing.

It's almost certainly a message that you won't be paying for.

To be absolutely sure, the easiest way is to call it from a mobile
phone and watch the screen/display. At the point when the message cuts
in, if the message on the screen changes from something like "CALLING"
to "CONNECTED" you are being charged, if it remains on "CALLING", you
are not.

Incoming calls do not ring indefinitely, although 16 seconds seems
very short. My giffgaff phone (O2 network) rings for 2min before
timing out.

It's not unheard of for some business phone systems to answer the call
and start charging immediately and play you ringing tone. A nice
little earner for the ones that are still sharing the revenue.

You can set the time to divert on many systems.
The 16 seconds is to do with polling. If the mobile has registered on a
site and stays on that site it should take the infrastructure a maximum
of 4 seconds to find it. If it cannot find it on the last registered
site it will go into a national poll to try to find it - which should in
theory take no more than 16 seconds.
The fact that the OP gets the message after about 16 seconds of ringtone
suggests that the default system timeout of nominally 15 seconds is
coming into play.

Not long ago Virgin took over the management of their
sims from EE. The new Virgin sims divert after 15
seconds and this cannot be lengthened. It's one of the
reasons I left for Plusnet.

Old June 26th 19, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 10:55:55 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

I've tried numerous times to ring a mobile from a Virgin Media landline -
Mobile 07975 - if that helps.
I get the message, "sorry, there is no reply".
Am I being charged for these calls?

In the early days of mobiles unanswered calls were charged for, on the
basis that the caller was making use of the network. I once made
several unanswered calls to a pal who was out of range, the only
person I knew with a mobile at the time, and was billed more than 1
for the privilege. But 'they' put a stop to it.
Old June 27th 19, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 22/06/2019 09:55, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've tried numerous times to ring a mobile from a Virgin Media landline -
Mobile 07975 - if that helps.
I get the message, "sorry, there is no reply".
Am I being charged for these calls?

You might be.

It used to be the case that any exchange messages from mobile lines were
charged as a call. I don't know if that's still true or if Ofcon have
put a stop to it by now.

--
rgds
LAurence