Old June 22nd 19, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Maybe a silly question

I've tried numerous times to ring a mobile from a Virgin Media landline -
Mobile 07975 - if that helps.
I get the message, "sorry, there is no reply".
Am I being charged for these calls?

Old June 22nd 19, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat 22/06/2019 10:55, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've tried numerous times to ring a mobile from a Virgin Media landline -
Mobile 07975 - if that helps.
I get the message, "sorry, there is no reply".
Am I being charged for these calls?

You shouldn't be as it is an uncompleted call - charging usually starts
when the called person answers. Having said that does it ring out before
that message or do you just get the message, and if the latter is it
immediate or after about 16 seconds or so?

Now whether you will be charged for the call connection is a different
matter altogether! Morally I would have thought not but since when have
morals had any part in cellular-think?

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old June 22nd 19, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:
On Sat 22/06/2019 10:55, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've tried numerous times to ring a mobile from a Virgin Media
landline - Mobile 07975 - if that helps.
I get the message, "sorry, there is no reply".
Am I being charged for these calls?

You shouldn't be as it is an uncompleted call - charging usually
starts when the called person answers. Having said that does it ring
out before that message or do you just get the message, and if the
latter is it immediate or after about 16 seconds or so?

Now whether you will be charged for the call connection is a different
matter altogether! Morally I would have thought not but since when
have morals had any part in cellular-think?

Well it rings, then I get the message after about 16 seconds of ringing.

Old June 22nd 19, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 22/06/2019 13:40, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Woody wrote:
On Sat 22/06/2019 10:55, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've tried numerous times to ring a mobile from a Virgin Media
landline - Mobile 07975 - if that helps.
I get the message, "sorry, there is no reply".
Am I being charged for these calls?

You shouldn't be as it is an uncompleted call - charging usually
starts when the called person answers. Having said that does it ring
out before that message or do you just get the message, and if the
latter is it immediate or after about 16 seconds or so?

Now whether you will be charged for the call connection is a different
matter altogether! Morally I would have thought not but since when
have morals had any part in cellular-think?

Well it rings, then I get the message after about 16 seconds of ringing.

The question comes down to who is playing "Sorry, there is no reply" to
you - if it's the telco then I don't believe it's a completed call and
hence no charge. If it's an app on the phone (which is plausible) then
that would of course be chargeable.
Old June 22nd 19, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:
[...]

I know little of mobile phones. I don't know what a telcom is. I was trying
to ring a dog groomer bimbo to cut the nails of my little dog. I did the job
and made my little dog bleed. I tried my best. If I get a bill for my calls,
me and the bimbo will be having words.

Old June 22nd 19, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:
On Sat 22/06/2019 10:55, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I've tried numerous times to ring a mobile from a Virgin Media
landline - Mobile 07975 - if that helps.
I get the message, "sorry, there is no reply".
Am I being charged for these calls?

You shouldn't be as it is an uncompleted call - charging usually
starts when the called person answers. Having said that does it ring
out before that message or do you just get the message, and if the
latter is it immediate or after about 16 seconds or so?

Now whether you will be charged for the call connection is a different
matter altogether! Morally I would have thought not but since when
have morals had any part in cellular-think?

Well it rings, then I get the message after about 16 seconds of ringing.

It's almost certainly a message that you won't be paying for.

To be absolutely sure, the easiest way is to call it from a mobile
phone and watch the screen/display. At the point when the message cuts
in, if the message on the screen changes from something like "CALLING"
to "CONNECTED" you are being charged, if it remains on "CALLING", you
are not.

Incoming calls do not ring indefinitely, although 16 seconds seems
very short. My giffgaff phone (O2 network) rings for 2min before
timing out.

It's not unheard of for some business phone systems to answer the call
and start charging immediately and play you ringing tone. A nice
little earner for the ones that are still sharing the revenue.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old June 22nd 19, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat 22/06/2019 19:31, Graham. wrote:
Woody wrote:
[...]

You can set the time to divert on many systems.
The 16 seconds is to do with polling. If the mobile has registered on a
site and stays on that site it should take the infrastructure a maximum
of 4 seconds to find it. If it cannot find it on the last registered
site it will go into a national poll to try to find it - which should in
theory take no more than 16 seconds.
The fact that the OP gets the message after about 16 seconds of ringtone
suggests that the default system timeout of nominally 15 seconds is
coming into play.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old June 22nd 19, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:
[...]

On my "hobby" Asterisk phone system I sometimes like to set up an
"early media" announcement and use it as the initial greeting message
before sending the call to voicemail or an IVR.

Something like, "Sorry, there is no one available to take your call,
please hang up now and you will not be charged, or hold for further
options".

I have never encountered a business system doing that, and if it was
to become popular it would certainly deprive the originating networks
of a lot of connection-charge / first-minute revenue!

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 22nd 19, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:
[...]

Sorry if this appears more than once, E-S posting problems.