Old July 1st 19, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Hong Kong

Someone I know is on holiday in Hong Kong. If I send her a text that
refers to the current protests, is there any prospect of the HK /
Chinese Government reading it?

Old July 1st 19, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon 01/07/2019 18:23, Scott wrote:
Someone I know is on holiday in Hong Kong. If I send her a text that
refers to the current protests, is there any prospect of the HK /
Chinese Government reading it?

Not if you send it with Whats App

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old July 2nd 19, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 18:23:48 +0100, Scott
wrote:

Someone I know is on holiday in Hong Kong. If I send her a text that
refers to the current protests, is there any prospect of the HK /
Chinese Government reading it?

Of course not.

Old July 2nd 19, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Someone I know is on holiday in Hong Kong. If I send her a text that
refers to the current protests, is there any prospect of the HK /
Chinese Government reading it?

Of course not.

Of course so, the SMS system is notoriously insecure.

Old July 2nd 19, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Someone I know is on holiday in Hong Kong. If I send her a text that
refers to the current protests, is there any prospect of the HK /
Chinese Government reading it?

Of course not.

Of course so, the SMS system is notoriously insecure.

I couldn't work out whether Chris was being sarcastic or not.

Old July 2nd 19, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Someone I know is on holiday in Hong Kong. If I send her a text that
refers to the current protests, is there any prospect of the HK /
Chinese Government reading it?

Of course not.

Of course so, the SMS system is notoriously insecure.

That's not what the question was.

Of course the government is not going to read text messages from
ordinary people. The protests are an ongoing topic of conversation for
everyone in Hong Kong at the moment. Millions of people are talking
about it. Why would anyone care about an innocent text message from
some random person that just happened to mention it?

Old July 3rd 19, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Someone I know is on holiday in Hong Kong. If I send her a text that
refers to the current protests, is there any prospect of the HK /
Chinese Government reading it?

Of course not.

Of course so, the SMS system is notoriously insecure.

That's not what the question was.

The question was "is there any prospect of the HK / Chinese Government
reading it?"

Neither you nor I know for certain whether they will - we can only
guess, see below - so the only thing that can be stated with any
certainty is whether or not the capability exists, which most certainly
it does, and, given the circumstances, surely that should have been the
*first* thing that you should have pointed out to the OP?!

Of course the government is not going to read text messages from
ordinary people. The protests are an ongoing topic of conversation for
everyone in Hong Kong at the moment. Millions of people are talking
about it. Why would anyone care about an innocent text message from
some random person that just happened to mention it?

That seems to me to be an extraordinarily naive assumption. There are a
number of factors that make it quite likely that the OP's proposed
communication might be monitored:

:-( Though in recent years it has been trying to show a more
democratic face, at least to the outside world, China is still a fairly
repressive communist regime which, in the ultimate analysis, is
maintained by fear and force - for example, Tiananmen Square.

:-( It is known to monitor communications into and out of the nation
and has nationwide firewall software to censor the content that
inhabitants are allowed to see.

:-( The OP's proposed communication is from outside the country to
someone within it, moreover to someone within a particular known trouble
spot, moreover to someone who is, presumably as they are on holiday, a
foreign national. All these three things make monitoring and consequent
possible censorship more likely. However, I suspect that the SMS'
actual content may be the final determining factor - probably messages
that contain certain keywords will be those most likely to be flagged
for human monitoring.
Old July 3rd 19, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

You're confusing the Chinese mainland with Hong Kong. None of those
issues you mentioned apply in Hong Kong.

If the OP had said his friend was in China and there had recently been
protests there I would have given a completely different answer.

Hong Kong is entirely different. As I said, the protests are the main
topic of conversation for people in Hong Kong right now. Just about
everyone is openly talking about it, and nobody feels the need to
speak in whispers or be careful of what they say. All the local radio
phone-in programs have been full of nothing else this week.

And by the way, I am speaking from personal experience and am in touch
with what's going on there. I'm actually writing this aboard a Cathay
Pacific flight from Hong Kong to London right now.

Old July 7th 19, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 13:18:41 +0100, Pamela
wrote:

I work on the assumption that all governments machine-read SMS for
problematic keywords, just as they do with emails.

My elderly mum swears that if I ever send an email with the word
"bomb" in it the police will be around at 5am breaking the doors down.
She heard it from a friend in the hairdressers, so it must be true.

Old July 7th 19, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

I work on the assumption that all governments machine-read SMS for
problematic keywords, just as they do with emails.

My elderly mum swears that if I ever send an email with the word
"bomb" in it the police will be around at 5am breaking the doors down.
She heard it from a friend in the hairdressers, so it must be true.

Rather like the father who emailed his son "The loot is in the garden"

Two days later he emailed "You can sow the potatoes now"

--

Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience

Hong Kong SIM card sav UK Mobile Phones 2 October 24th 05 10:03 AM
Hong Kong SIM's Jai UK Mobile Phones 5 September 28th 04 02:13 AM
Roaming in Hong Kong Chris UK Mobile Phones 2 February 2nd 04 10:04 AM
Roaming costs for Hong Kong WL UK Mobile Phones 4 November 28th 03 05:35 PM
What's Cheapest way to phone / text UK from Hong Kong PAYG Three3 UK Mobile Phones 0 November 28th 03 11:12 AM