Old July 4th 19, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Is micro SD card genuine?

I have ordered a SanDisk High Endurance micro SD card on eBay for a
very good price (24.59 / 128GB). The advert stated the items were
located in Jersey (wrongly described as part of the UK). I now see
the seller is based in Hong Kong (part of China?).

I suppose the seller is closer to the source than I am!

Is there a reliable way to check if this is counterfeit or genuine? It
is not for a phone so I cannot use the Android app that I believe
exists. Any diagnostics would need to be done on my PC.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old July 4th 19, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 09:50:58 +0100, Scott wrote:

I have ordered a SanDisk High Endurance micro SD card on eBay for a very
good price (£24.59 / 128GB). The advert stated the items were located
in Jersey (wrongly described as part of the UK). I now see the seller
is based in Hong Kong (part of China?).

I suppose the seller is closer to the source than I am!

Is there a reliable way to check if this is counterfeit or genuine? It
is not for a phone so I cannot use the Android app that I believe
exists. Any diagnostics would need to be done on my PC.

Thanks for any assistance.

You can't, of course, actually tell if it is real Sandisk - it might be
fully functional yet actually fake (and might not last as long).

You can, though, test that it is really the advertised capacity and that
it works. For that, I use FakeFlashTest on Windows.

On UNIX, and on UNIX wannabes like Linux, I use F3.
Old July 4th 19, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 04/07/2019 09:50, Scott wrote:
I have ordered a SanDisk High Endurance micro SD card on eBay for a
very good price (£24.59 / 128GB). The advert stated the items were
located in Jersey (wrongly described as part of the UK). I now see
the seller is based in Hong Kong (part of China?).

I suppose the seller is closer to the source than I am!

Is there a reliable way to check if this is counterfeit or genuine? It
is not for a phone so I cannot use the Android app that I believe
exists. Any diagnostics would need to be done on my PC.

Thanks for any assistance.

Do not touch with a VERY long pole...

Rule #1 of eBay buying - ALWAYS check where the SELLER is, as well as
where the goods are. I wouldn't buy anything from a seller in that part
of the world at any cost.

It irritates the **** out of me that eBay allow sellers anywhere in the
world to list their stuff as UK despite the fact that they are nowhere
near the UK.

I have actually started a change.org petition on this, although nobody
seems to have signed it yet apart from me sigh...

If you're feeling magnanimous, look he
https://preview.tinyurl.com/yyfne4kc

Old July 4th 19, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

I bought something from Ebay fully expecting to have to wait for the
slow boat from China. It arrived two days later having being posted in
Salford about two miles from here.

I buy lots of stuff from China mainlt electronic components and I am
rarly disapointed. I don't like paying more than 4 or 5 GBP on a
single order though, and I wouldn't want to risk 25 on an SD card, on
that we can agree.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old July 4th 19, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 04/07/2019 09:50, Scott wrote:
I have ordered a SanDisk High Endurance micro SD card on eBay for a
very good price (£24.59 / 128GB). The advert stated the items were
located in Jersey (wrongly described as part of the UK). I now see
the seller is based in Hong Kong (part of China?).

I suppose the seller is closer to the source than I am!

Is there a reliable way to check if this is counterfeit or genuine? It

It will look right even if it is a forgery. It might even have the right
capacity too. Only an integrity test will tell you if it is a bargain.

It might even have the right capacity but fail when pushed to the speed
limit (or be marked one speed and only capable of another lower speed).
You are only likely to notice if you are into HD or UHD video.

is not for a phone so I cannot use the Android app that I believe
exists. Any diagnostics would need to be done on my PC.

Thanks for any assistance.

You might have to boot your PC into Linux to do meaningful diagnostic
tests. Don't put anything you value onto it until you have verified that
it actually works reliably and doesn't trash things already written when
you write more than a certain amount of media content to it.

It is quite easy to make an infinite capacity write only memory.
They are often advertised around April fools day.

Martin Brown

Old July 6th 19, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 4 July 2019 19:17:09 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Pretty much my view as well. I have ordered phone accessories, connectors and even a 10m fibre optic cable and all have turned up as described within a week or two. The values are so small that to lose a fiver or so would not be something to cry about.

OTOH fake USB drives and SD cards are legion and the much higher cost means I only buy these from reputable UK suppliers.

Old July 7th 19, 07:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 19:17:10 +0100
Graham. wrote:

I buy lots of stuff from China mainlt electronic components and I am
rarly disapointed. I don't like paying more than 4 or 5 GBP on a
single order though, and I wouldn't want to risk £25 on an SD card, on
that we can agree.

Apart from anything else £25 is above the level that you might get hit
with VAT and import duty and admin charge, although many Chinese
sellers seem to under-declare the value of items. I usually go to
trusted sellers like 7dayshop for SD cards and the like.

Old July 7th 19, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Graham. wrote:

I buy lots of stuff from China mainlt electronic components and I am
rarly disapointed. I don't like paying more than 4 or 5 GBP on a
single order though, and I wouldn't want to risk 25 on an SD card, on
that we can agree.

Apart from anything else 25 is above the level that you might get hit
with VAT and import duty and admin charge, although many Chinese
sellers seem to under-declare the value of items. I usually go to
trusted sellers like 7dayshop for SD cards and the like.

All very curious. It was despatched from Bristol, where it was
relabelled (even though my address is on the label underneath). The
advert says goods are in Jersey. The seller is supposedly in Hong
Kong.

Should I be making a 5 donation to HMRC :-)

The card looks extremely convincing with very high quality print and
blister pack. I think it's probably genuine. I will look at the
other visual clues later.
Old July 7th 19, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/07/2019 14:45, Scott wrote:
The card looks extremely convincing with very high quality print and
blister pack. I think it's probably genuine. I will look at the
other visual clues later.

Don't worry about that until you verify with FakeFlashTest or dimilar
that it actually is 128GB and not a smaller one formatted to look like
128GB.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old July 15th 19, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Do not touch with a VERY long pole...

Rule #1 of eBay buying - ALWAYS check where the SELLER is, as well as where
the goods are. I wouldn't buy anything from a seller in that part of the
world at any cost.

It irritates the **** out of me that eBay allow sellers anywhere in the world
to list their stuff as UK despite the fact that they are nowhere near the UK.

I have actually started a change.org petition on this, although nobody seems
to have signed it yet apart from me sigh...

If you're feeling magnanimous, look he
https://preview.tinyurl.com/yyfne4kc

Maybe no one has signed it because a lot of us are very happy buying
stuff from China. I have a very good Xaomi Mi 2 Lite phone which is
excellent and cost me just 120. I've bought various bits and pieces
such as step drills, a flex cord for my Dremel, a reversing camera for
a tenner and lots of other stuff too - all work perfectly and have done
so for at least a year now.