Old August 3rd 19, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default What options do I have to get mobile coverage at home?

On Sat 03/08/2019 19:11, Tweed wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 03/08/2019 08:15, David Wade wrote:

As far as I know only EE implement SMS over wifi calling

https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/wifi-calling

Dave

The Three-In-Touch app used to support it before they withdrew it (and
lost my custom as a result).

But you never spent anything with them, so I suspect they are glad you’ve
gone.

Not as glad as I am.

Old August 4th 19, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

If it's any help to anyone I have a 3 contract and an Honor Play phone and I recently turned on Wi-Fi calling in the menus - if I put it in aeroplane mode then turn on wi-fi I can send and receive texts and make and receive calls via my home wi-fi. This phone was bought unlocked from Argos, not from 3 and was £230.
Old August 4th 19, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Murmansk wrote:
If it's any help to anyone I have a 3 contract and an Honor Play phone
and I recently turned on Wi-Fi calling in the menus - if I put it in aeroplane
mode then turn on wi-fi I can send and receive texts and make and receive
calls via my home wi-fi. This phone was bought unlocked from Argos, not
from 3 and was £230.

£230 is about three times as much as I ever spend on a phone, and I
keep them quite a while too! :-)

I currently have a Moto G which has way more features than I use or
need.

--
Chris Green
·
Old August 4th 19, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chris Green wrote:
Murmansk wrote:
If it's any help to anyone I have a 3 contract and an Honor Play phone
and I recently turned on Wi-Fi calling in the menus - if I put it in aeroplane
mode then turn on wi-fi I can send and receive texts and make and receive
calls via my home wi-fi. This phone was bought unlocked from Argos, not
from 3 and was £230.

£230 is about three times as much as I ever spend on a phone, and I
keep them quite a while too! :-)

I currently have a Moto G which has way more features than I use or
need.

I’m using one of those at the moment as I’ve bust the screen on my usual
phone. Christ it’s a sluggish pile of dingoes kidneys.

If that’s your only experience of a “smart” phone I can see why you don’t
use any/many smart phone features.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 4th 19, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 04/08/2019 20:08, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Murmansk wrote:
If it's any help to anyone I have a 3 contract and an Honor Play phone
and I recently turned on Wi-Fi calling in the menus - if I put it in aeroplane
mode then turn on wi-fi I can send and receive texts and make and receive
calls via my home wi-fi. This phone was bought unlocked from Argos, not
from 3 and was £230.

£230 is about three times as much as I ever spend on a phone, and I
keep them quite a while too! :-)

I currently have a Moto G which has way more features than I use or
need.

I’m using one of those at the moment as I’ve bust the screen on my usual
phone. Christ it’s a sluggish pile of dingoes kidneys.

If that’s your only experience of a “smart” phone I can see why you don’t
use any/many smart phone features.

I'll stick with the three Nokia 6310i's we now have in the household.
Built to last, 2 weeks on standby and the oldest battery I have (bought
in 2000) is still giving me a week.

There are plenty of people selling NOS ones on eBay for 40 quid or so,
well worth it IMHO. Why would I want a "smart" phone again..?

There may well be a Samsung S5 mini up for grabs in the near future,
once I've copied everything off it and factory-reset it.

Old August 4th 19, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/08/2019 20:08, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Can you explain to someone with congenital deafness the joy of Mozart? The
colours of a rainbow to someone born blind?

I know my limits.

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 4th 19, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 04/08/2019 23:01, Tim+ wrote:

Can you explain to someone with congenital deafness the joy of Mozart? The
colours of a rainbow to someone born blind?

I know my limits.

Tim

I don't understand how that statement tells me why I need a smartphone.

Old August 5th 19, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/08/2019 23:01, Tim+ wrote:

Can you explain to someone with congenital deafness the joy of Mozart? The
colours of a rainbow to someone born blind?

I know my limits.

Tim

I don't understand how that statement tells me why I need a smartphone.

Nobody *needs* a smart phone, after all, we all managed before they were
invented. However, a smart phone can make a lot of things easier. If you
are sat round at home all day doing nothing then I can perhaps understand
the lack of utility. The moment you get out and about the utility
increases.

Sometimes you just have to give it a try, as a means of understanding. When
the very first iPad came out I couldn’t get my head around the fuss, nor
could I see the need for “apps”. Never the less, I bought one and rather
rapidly the utility became clear.

I’m afraid you are not going to convince many existing smart phone users
that reverting to a Nokia dumb phone, even for the extended battery life,
is viable route. (Regarding battery life, this is a needless worry for most
use cases. My phone lasts all day and charges over night. It doesn’t need
to have a longer battery life than one day. For the very odd occasion where
I’m away from an overnight power source a plug in USB battery power bank
works just fine). The market share of smart phones vs dumb phones rather
shows that people prefer the former.

Old August 5th 19, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tweed wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/08/2019 23:01, Tim+ wrote:

Can you explain to someone with congenital deafness the joy of Mozart? The
colours of a rainbow to someone born blind?

I know my limits.

Tim

I don't understand how that statement tells me why I need a smartphone.

Nobody *needs* a smart phone, after all, we all managed before they were
invented. However, a smart phone can make a lot of things easier. If you
are sat round at home all day doing nothing then I can perhaps understand
the lack of utility. The moment you get out and about the utility
increases.

.... and so does the nuisance value! I don't want to be interrupted by
messages (mostly from providers telling me I've just crossed a border
and thus charges have changed). I don't want to know any of these
things while I'm driving. When I stop driving I'll use my laptop
thanks, much easier and more functional than a smartphone.

--
Chris Green
·
Old August 5th 19, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 8/5/2019 10:42 AM, Chris Green wrote:
Tweed wrote:

Nobody *needs* a smart phone, after all, we all managed before they were
invented. However, a smart phone can make a lot of things easier. If you
are sat round at home all day doing nothing then I can perhaps understand
the lack of utility. The moment you get out and about the utility
increases.

... and so does the nuisance value! I don't want to be interrupted by
messages (mostly from providers telling me I've just crossed a border
and thus charges have changed). I don't want to know any of these
things while I'm driving. When I stop driving I'll use my laptop
thanks, much easier and more functional than a smartphone.

You can turn off sounds on notifications. You can even turn off the
phone itself.