Old July 30th 19, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default What options do I have to get mobile coverage at home?

We live in a (fairly) rural location in Suffolk and none of the UK
mobile operators gives good coverage here. All I want a mobile to do
for me is to provide voice and text reception, we have a good solid
VDSL connection so data is unnecessary at home.

The https://www.signalchecker.co.uk/ shows no voice coverage indoors
with Three, EE and Vodafone and "you may experience problems" with O2.

I currently have a Moto G phone with Three on PAYGO and probably spend
£20 to £30 per year, I'm not exactly the providers' favourite customer
I suspect!

What are my options to get reliable coverage at home? Three have
stopped supporting their "Three in Touch" WiFi calling app and anyway
I never found it very reliable, it wasn't anywhere near 'transparent'
enoough.

So, as I see it my options a-

Get a phone which *really* works with WiFi calling. Trouble is
that these are mostly expensive, modern, phones. I *really* don't
need one of these, I just want voice calling and texts and nothing
else. However if there are reasonably priced phones out there
that support *transparent* WiFi calling that could be a solution.

Some sort of local signal boosting device. No provider seems to
provide nano/femtocell devices any more. Are there any
alternatives?

Are there 'super sensitive' phones out there? Or maybe ones that
work well with an external aerial? It doesn't need *much* more
signal here for things to work reliably, it *sometimes* works now.

Can one get a dedicated 'WiFi only' mobile phone device? I know
one can use VOIP (I already do, I have both Sipgate and SIP
Discount accounts) but I need a mobile number. Is it possible to
get an 07xxx number which connects permanently by WiFi?

Any other ideas?

--
Chris Green
·

Old July 30th 19, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 30/07/2019 21:34, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

WiFi calling won't help with SMS or TEXT reception. That needs a real
mobile signal. As far as I know you can't get a "mobile" number on a
VOIP service.

Not sure it always helps with in-bound calls either.

I know you don't want data but some of the 3G modems will send texts and
have a socket for an external antenna.

Dave
Old July 31st 19, 06:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 30/07/2019 23:57, David Wade wrote:
[...]

I am going to say that after reading some stuff elsewhere that WiFi
calling via EE, and at present ONLY EE* does support SMS as well as
calls BUT only to contract customers.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getti...e-wifi-calling

You want reliable WiFi calling then you probably need a new posh phone.
Its a new feature. From what I can see the cheapest solution is a "good
as new" google pixel 3 on a 24 month plan

https://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/...as-new/details

Dave

Old July 31st 19, 07:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Repeaters are now legal and available in the UK.

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: (Address will be valid throughout
July).

The Usenet: advert-free (but not spam-free) social media since 1980.

Old July 31st 19, 07:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David Wade wrote:

[...]

Doesn’t have to be a new phone. There’s a better list of compatible phones
here.
https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Calls/...ow/td-p/776855

The only gotcha is that some may need firmware only available on handsets
supplied by EE. As far as I can recall though, older iPhones worked fine
(even those not supplied by EE) but I wouldn’t take that as gospel.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old July 31st 19, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 7/31/2019 7:33 AM, David Wade wrote:

I am going to say that after reading some stuff elsewhere that WiFi
calling via EE, and at present ONLY EE does support SMS as well as
calls BUT only to contract customers.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getti...e-wifi-calling

You want reliable WiFi calling then you probably need a new posh phone.
Its a new feature. From what I can see the cheapest solution is a "good
as new" google pixel 3 on a 24 month plan

https://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/...as-new/details

I have an inexpensive Nokia dual-SIM which does wifi calling.

Old July 31st 19, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David Wade wrote:

I know you don't want data but some of the 3G modems will send texts and
have a socket for an external antenna.

That's a point, Three do claim 3G coverage here, they claim even
better 4G coverage, in fact Three 4G is the only provider that claims
indoor coverage for us.

What I really need here is text reception, can a 3G modem receive texts?

--
Chris Green
·
Old July 31st 19, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David Wade wrote:

I am going to say that after reading some stuff elsewhere that WiFi
calling via EE, and at present ONLY EE* does support SMS as well as
calls BUT only to contract customers.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getti...e-wifi-calling

You want reliable WiFi calling then you probably need a new posh phone.
Its a new feature. From what I can see the cheapest solution is a "good
as new" google pixel 3 on a 24 month plan

https://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/...as-new/details

There's no way I'm going to spend that sort of money just to enable me
to receive SMS at home! That monthly cost is nearer what I spend per
year on my mobile! :-) I just have no need for any of the extras a
smartphone provides, to a large extent simply because they don't work
at home because of the feeble coverage!

--
Chris Green
·
Old July 31st 19, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Martin Nicholas wrote:
Repeaters are now legal and available in the UK.

Where to get and how much? Do they work for multiple providers and
frequencies or are they 'locked in' to one provider/frequency/mode?

--
Chris Green
·
Old July 31st 19, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 11:57:11 +0100
Chris Green wrote:

Martin Nicholas wrote:
Repeaters are now legal and available in the UK.

Where to get and how much? Do they work for multiple providers and
frequencies or are they 'locked in' to one provider/frequency/mode?

Ofcom:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...hone-repeaters

A site with some expensive ones:
https://www.mobilerepeater.co.uk/

Ali(baba|express) have ones for around $100. Make sure it covers only
UK frequencies.

You still need a reasonable outdoor signal, natch.