UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old August 17th 19, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 171
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

Following on from my previous post, anyone any idea as to why these BT
4G Assure Dongles seem to be available suddenly, in quantity, and very
cheap? Eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-4G-Ass...MAAOSw-1ZcsQiO

The sticks look like rebadged Huaweis, possibly E3372 models, which
would be the same as mine.

  #2   Report Post  
Old August 17th 19, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2015
Posts: 228
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

Java Jive wrote:
Following on from my previous post, anyone any idea as to why these BT
4G Assure Dongles seem to be available suddenly, in quantity, and very
cheap? Eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-4G-Ass...MAAOSw-1ZcsQiO

The sticks look like rebadged Huaweis, possibly E3372 models, which
would be the same as mine.


Clearing their shelves in anticipation of 5G compatible stock?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
  #3   Report Post  
Old August 18th 19, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 171
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

On 17/08/2019 19:57, Tim+ wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
Following on from my previous post, anyone any idea as to why these BT
4G Assure Dongles seem to be available suddenly, in quantity, and very
cheap? Eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-4G-Ass...MAAOSw-1ZcsQiO

The sticks look like rebadged Huaweis, possibly E3372 models, which
would be the same as mine.


Clearing their shelves in anticipation of 5G compatible stock?


Yes, I suppose that's a possibility. Another that occurred to me was
that they are made by Huawei, and therefore suspect, either because of
the concerns raised about the firm by national security organisations,
or simply because of public loss-of-confidence arising from those same
concerns, so they weren't selling.

But I was wondering if anyone had any hard information. So far, it
seems not.
  #4   Report Post  
Old August 18th 19, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 373
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 19:57:50 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
Following on from my previous post, anyone any idea as to why these BT
4G Assure Dongles seem to be available suddenly, in quantity, and very
cheap? Eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-4G-Ass...MAAOSw-1ZcsQiO

The sticks look like rebadged Huaweis, possibly E3372 models, which
would be the same as mine.


Clearing their shelves in anticipation of 5G compatible stock?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls


LIkely.

They are I presume locked.
  #5   Report Post  
Old August 18th 19, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 732
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

On Sun 18/08/2019 12:01, Java Jive wrote:
On 17/08/2019 19:57, Tim+ wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
Following on from my previous post, anyone any idea as to why these BT
4G Assure Dongles seem to be available suddenly, in quantity, and very
cheap?¬* Eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-4G-Ass...MAAOSw-1ZcsQiO


The sticks look like rebadged Huaweis, possibly E3372 models, which
would be the same as mine.


Clearing their shelves in anticipation of 5G compatible stock?


Yes, I suppose that's a possibility.¬* Another that occurred to me was
that they are made by Huawei, and therefore suspect, either because of
the concerns raised about the firm by national security organisations,
or simply because of public loss-of-confidence arising from those same
concerns, so they weren't selling.

But I was wondering if anyone had any hard information.¬* So far, it
seems not.


If you look you will find this guy is offering two of them This one at
£4.98 and appears to be a one-off but on a second advert he is
advertising them at £6.49 with more then 10 for sale.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com


  #6   Report Post  
Old August 18th 19, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2015
Posts: 119
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 17 August 2019 19:57:50 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
Following on from my previous post, anyone any idea as to why these BT
4G Assure Dongles seem to be available suddenly, in quantity, and very
cheap? Eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-4G-Ass...MAAOSw-1ZcsQiO

The sticks look like rebadged Huaweis, possibly E3372 models, which
would be the same as mine.


Correct, E3372h. Mine has the hilink firmware, where it shows up as a USB
ethernet. There's also stick mode firmware, where it looks like a
traditional serial modem, which is slower.

Clearing their shelves in anticipation of 5G compatible stock?


LIkely.


5G hardware still isn't very common, so I'm doubtful of that.
They're BT Business Broadband branded, and I assume they're bulk issued to
those customers - and maybe some of those are reselling unwanted bits, just
like BT routers are cheap on ebay because there are so many unwanted ones
out there.

They are I presume locked.


They are, and difficult to unlock.
This was the most useful guide I found, translated from Russian:
https://translate.google.com/transla...topic%3D582284

Unlocks are firmware version specific, and mine (bought in May from ebay)
has a firmware later than 2x.317 which means previous loopholes have been
closed (and unlock code generators don't work). I gave up before trying
'needle method' involving taking the thing apart and grounding a PCB pad
while flashing.

Since they're locked, they're no use on other networks and hence the
resale value is approximately nil. I don't think they work with a regular
EE SIM either.

Theo
  #7   Report Post  
Old August 18th 19, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jul 2016
Posts: 225
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

Theo wrote:

E3372h. Mine has the hilink firmware, where it shows up as a USB
ethernet. There's also stick mode firmware, where it looks like a
traditional serial modem, which is slower.


What makes you say that running it in TTYUSB/PPP mode is slower than
RNDIS mode?
  #8   Report Post  
Old August 18th 19, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2015
Posts: 119
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

Andy Burns wrote:
Theo wrote:

E3372h. Mine has the hilink firmware, where it shows up as a USB
ethernet. There's also stick mode firmware, where it looks like a
traditional serial modem, which is slower.


What makes you say that running it in TTYUSB/PPP mode is slower than
RNDIS mode?


Supposedly it can't push the full LTE data rate in PPP mode:
https://www.0xf8.org/2017/01/flashin...to-stick-mode/
Somebody quoted their maximum achievable speed of 21Mbps in PPP mode, while
the LTE in USB ethernet mode can do 150Mbps (down). The latter suffers the
stick doing its own NAT (essentially being a mini router with DHCP etc).

Theo
  #9   Report Post  
Old August 18th 19, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jul 2016
Posts: 225
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

Theo wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

What makes you say that running it in TTYUSB/PPP mode is slower than
RNDIS mode?


Supposedly it can't push the full LTE data rate in PPP mode:
https://www.0xf8.org/2017/01/flashin...to-stick-mode/
Somebody quoted their maximum achievable speed of 21Mbps in PPP mode, while
the LTE in USB ethernet mode can do 150Mbps (down). The latter suffers the
stick doing its own NAT (essentially being a mini router with DHCP etc).


Yes, I didn't like the idea of an extra routing instance running on the
dongle, so I flashed it from hilink-mode to stick-mode, my maximum speed
is limited by coverage anyway, presently 9Mbps down/11Mpbs up
  #10   Report Post  
Old August 25th 19, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 171
Default BT 4G Assure Dongle

On 18/08/2019 17:39, Theo wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 17 August 2019 19:57:50 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
Following on from my previous post, anyone any idea as to why these BT
4G Assure Dongles seem to be available suddenly, in quantity, and very
cheap? Eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-4G-Ass...MAAOSw-1ZcsQiO

The sticks look like rebadged Huaweis, possibly E3372 models, which
would be the same as mine.


Correct, E3372h. Mine has the hilink firmware, where it shows up as a USB
ethernet. There's also stick mode firmware, where it looks like a
traditional serial modem, which is slower.

Clearing their shelves in anticipation of 5G compatible stock?


LIkely.


5G hardware still isn't very common, so I'm doubtful of that.
They're BT Business Broadband branded, and I assume they're bulk issued to
those customers - and maybe some of those are reselling unwanted bits, just
like BT routers are cheap on ebay because there are so many unwanted ones
out there.

They are I presume locked.


They are, and difficult to unlock.
This was the most useful guide I found, translated from Russian:
https://translate.google.com/transla...topic%3D582284

Unlocks are firmware version specific, and mine (bought in May from ebay)
has a firmware later than 2x.317 which means previous loopholes have been
closed (and unlock code generators don't work). I gave up before trying
'needle method' involving taking the thing apart and grounding a PCB pad
while flashing.

Since they're locked, they're no use on other networks and hence the
resale value is approximately nil. I don't think they work with a regular
EE SIM either.


Actually, mine does work with an ASDA (EE based) test SIM, so, given
that its firmware is v22.328.*, fortunately, no unlocking to do! I
ordered one partly because I didn't then know that I would be able to
get the other sticks I was trying to a fully working state, whereas I'd
already succeeded with a Huawei E3372s, but also because I liked the
look of the USB extension cable supplied with it, and now that I've got
it I like it even more - the base is solid and heavy, so more stable
than otherwise it might have been, and it has a keyhole slot for hanging
on a wall. My only gripe is that the cable is a little too short, but
still well worth a fiver or so!


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dongle/wifi dongle that "reconnects" its self Londoncalling UK Mobile Phones 13 September 3rd 12 01:38 PM
Wave Linker Bluetooth dongle with SE T610 Lasitha UK Mobile Phones 7 July 7th 03 10:51 AM
recommendations for USB bluetooth dongle for T610? Andy Long UK Mobile Phones 2 July 6th 03 03:08 PM
recommendations for USB bluetooth dongle for T610? Munch UK Mobile Phones 0 July 4th 03 05:57 PM
recommendations for USB bluetooth dongle for T610? Lasitha UK Mobile Phones 0 July 4th 03 01:15 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2020 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017