Old September 5th 19, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default No service on 3UK PAYG SIM

On 05/09/2019 17:51, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 05/09/2019 16:08, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Thursday, 5 September 2019 15:56:23 UTC+1, Someone Somewhere¬* wrote:
On 05/09/2019 15:14, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Thursday, 5 September 2019 09:35:11 UTC+1, DerekF¬* wrote:
I have a 3UK PAYG SIM that says 'no service' when I try to use it.
It is
in a dual SIM widows phone. Two other SIMs that I have work in that
slot
including my my wife's 3UK SIM nor does my SIM work in hers or
other phones.
I had not been using the 3UK for calls for the past six months since
adding a 1p Mobile card apart from a very occasional one just to keep
the number valid. I have had calls and texts to the number I imagine
until last month
When I go to the 3UK site it still shows that that I have £1.56 credit
on it. 3UK service desk assumed that the card was damaged and sent a
replacement one for the number with its credit on it. I still get
the no
service message . Their next suggestion was to issue me with a new
number but that is too much hassle advising all the companies who have
it of the change.
My other thought was switching my number to 1p Mobile and then letting
3UK allocate me another number but am concerned the number may
still not
work. 3UK say that my number has not been blocked by them for any
reason. When the replacement SIM did not work they said that they
would
get their technical support to contact me in the next 24 hours but
that
has not happened.
Is is possible that my number has been stolen or my card has been
cloned. I had a situation with Sainsbury's some years ago with a
different card where they stopped my number saying that it had been
used
for PPI and other legal scam calls. I convinced them otherwise and
they
reinstated my then number before suddenly stopping their mobile
service.
A month or so ago about £4 of credit seemed to have disappeared
from my
3UK but I then seemed that I had still left the Three SIM set up for
data connection.
Anyone else had a similar experience ? Looking on line the only
suggestion I saw was a rather old one to switch from 3G to 2G, turn
your
phone off and on and back on. I switched from 4G to 3G but that did
not
help.
Derek

IMO your dual SIM "widows" phone only has 2G on the second SIM slot
and current 3 PAYG SIM's won't let you roam onto 2G network.

Other [real[ networks all have 2G infrastructure and an older 3
contract SIM may allow roaming.

Didn't he say somewhere in there that he'd tried the SIM in other phones
- I can't imagine none of them support 3G.

I'd say valid options a¬* Customer services don't know what they're
doing and somehow the SIM is barred (or removed from) the network.¬* Why
a SIM swap didn't resolve that I don't know.¬* Or, of course, 3 network
coverage is down in his area - what does a manual network selection say?

He may also have the access point set incorrectly or be using a data
only SIM.

Apparently (although it's not entirely clear) the SIM isn't attaching to
the network at all, rather than the absence of being able to make calls
or send texts.

If I try to make a call from contacts or by dialing a number it says "
Dialing ...... No Service
Derek.

Old September 5th 19, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 05/09/2019 16:49, Theo wrote:
Someone Somewhere wrote:
I'd say valid options a Customer services don't know what they're
doing and somehow the SIM is barred (or removed from) the network. Why
a SIM swap didn't resolve that I don't know. Or, of course, 3 network
coverage is down in his area - what does a manual network selection say?

It's also possible there is LTE reception, but not 3G. The latter is needed
for calls unless the phone supports VoLTE.

Try seeing if your phone will report the signal strength and current band:
https://windowsphone.stackexchange.c...th-in-decibels

Theo

Do I need to take the second SIM out first ?
Derek
Old September 5th 19, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 05/09/2019 17:50, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 05/09/2019 16:49, Theo wrote:
Someone Somewhere wrote:
I'd say valid options a¬* Customer services don't know what they're
doing and somehow the SIM is barred (or removed from) the network.¬* Why
a SIM swap didn't resolve that I don't know.¬* Or, of course, 3 network
coverage is down in his area - what does a manual network selection say?

It's also possible there is LTE reception, but not 3G.¬* The latter is
needed
for calls unless the phone supports VoLTE.

Try seeing if your phone will report the signal strength and current
band:
https://windowsphone.stackexchange.c...th-in-decibels

Theo

Apparently (although it's not entirely clear) it's not latching on to
the network at all - rather than just not being able to make calls/send
texts etc.

No it doesn't see the network It just says Dialing ............. No Service.
Derek

Old September 7th 19, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 05/09/2019 09:35, DerekF wrote:
[...]

I went into the local Three shop. He put the SIM into his phone and it
worked but still not in mine. He checked my settings and changed SIM for
data connection to SIM1 3UK from SIM 2 1P Mobile. I had changed it to
that when using the 1P SIM for my main usage.
Derek

Old September 8th 19, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

DerekF wrote:
[...]

Ha ha. Been there, done that. With my last phone removing the sim set up
as default made the phone automatically switch the second sim as default.
Replacing the original sim doesn’t make it switch back though, you have to
do that manually.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old September 8th 19, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Saturday, 7 September 2019 19:23:30 UTC+1, DerekF wrote:
[...]

So wrong access point as I suggested on 5/9.
Old September 8th 19, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sunday, 8 September 2019 09:06:43 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
[...]

This happened on a mate's phone, he had a TalkTalk or Talkmobile SIM and not spotting that in the list I set it to Voda, which was the net it MVNO'ed on. Only started working once once we found the right entry for the MVNO.
Old September 9th 19, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/09/2019 09:06, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
[...]

One to remember for the future.
Did I say elsewhere that I had a text on the 3UK SIM on Saturday from
their support saying that they are still looking into my problem and
will get back to me :-)
Derek

Old September 9th 19, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

DerekF wrote:
[...]

I am not alone :-)
Derek