Old September 9th 19, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default No service on 3UK PAYG SIM

On 08/09/2019 20:07, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 7 September 2019 19:23:30 UTC+1, DerekF wrote:
On 05/09/2019 09:35, DerekF wrote:
I have a 3UK PAYG SIM that says 'no service' when I try to use it. It is
in a dual SIM widows phone. Two other SIMs that I have work in that slot
including my my wife's 3UK SIM nor does my SIM work in hers or other
phones.
I had not been using the 3UK for calls for the past six months since
adding a 1p Mobile card apart from a very occasional one just to keep
the number valid. I have had calls and texts to the number I imagine
until last month
When I go to the 3UK site it still shows that that I have £1.56 credit
on it. 3UK service desk assumed that the card was damaged and sent a
replacement one for the number with its credit on it. I still get the no
service message . Their next suggestion was to issue me with a new
number but that is too much hassle advising all the companies who have
it of the change.
My other thought was switching my number to 1p Mobile and then letting
3UK allocate me another number but am concerned the number may still not
work. 3UK say that my number has not been blocked by them for any
reason. When the replacement SIM did not work they said that they would
get their technical support to contact me in the next 24 hours but that
has not happened.
Is is possible that my number has been stolen or my card has been
cloned. I had a situation with Sainsbury's some years ago with a
different card where they stopped my number saying that it had been used
for PPI and other legal scam calls. I convinced them otherwise and they
reinstated my then number before suddenly stopping their mobile service.
A month or so ago about £4 of credit seemed to have disappeared from my
3UK but I then seemed that I had still left the Three SIM set up for
data connection.
Anyone else had a similar experience ? Looking on line the only
suggestion I saw was a rather old one to switch from 3G to 2G, turn your
phone off and on and back on. I switched from 4G to 3G but that did not
help.
Derek

I went into the local Three shop. He put the SIM into his phone and it
worked but still not in mine. He checked my settings and changed SIM for
data connection to SIM1 3UK from SIM 2 1P Mobile. I had changed it to
that when using the 1P SIM for my main usage.
Derek

So wrong access point as I suggested on 5/9.

I obviously did not understand access point :-)
Derek

Old September 10th 19, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Monday, 9 September 2019 23:57:09 UTC+1, DerekF wrote:
[...]

It is easy to screw up - I once set mine to the wrong O2 one (P&G instead of [plain vanilla] contract AP by mistake.
Old September 10th 19, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/09/2019 11:13, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Should I advise the 3UK help desk of the solution :-)
Derek
Old September 10th 19, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09:06 8 Sep 2019, Tim+ wrote:

DerekF wrote:
[...]

Ha ha. Been there, done that. With my last phone removing the sim set
up as default made the phone automatically switch the second sim as
default. Replacing the original sim doesn’t make it switch back
though, you have to do that manually.

Tim

I ported a number to a Three Mobile SIM but the new number doesn't appear
in all places on the phone. For example, the number is described as
"unknown" in

Oreo System About Phone Status SIM Status

Is this a problem? Has it been caused by Three mobile's porting or is it
something to do with Android or the hardware? It's a Moto G5+ handset.
Old September 10th 19, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/09/2019 20:24, Pamela wrote:

I ported a number to a Three Mobile SIM but the new number doesn't appear
in all places on the phone. For example, the number is described as
"unknown" in

Oreo System About Phone Status SIM Status

Is this a problem? Has it been caused by Three mobile's porting or is it
something to do with Android or the hardware? It's a Moto G5+ handset.

No it doesn't matter - the phone and SIM have no need to know their own
number to function correctly.

Old September 10th 19, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/09/2019 20:49, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 10/09/2019 20:24, Pamela wrote:

I ported a number to a Three Mobile SIM but the new number doesn't appear
in all places on the phone.* For example, the number is described as
"unknown" in

Oreo System About Phone Status SIM Status

Is this a problem?* Has it been caused by Three mobile's porting or is it
something to do with Android or the hardware?* It's a Moto G5+ handset.

No it doesn't matter - the phone and SIM have no need to know their own
number to function correctly.

Some phones (notably the Doro range) will allow you to edit what is
shown here. Strangely enough so will the elderly Nokia 6150 I found the
other week, although later phones such as the 6310i won't.

Old September 11th 19, 05:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/09/2019 23:06, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/09/2019 20:49, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 10/09/2019 20:24, Pamela wrote:

I ported a number to a Three Mobile SIM but the new number doesn't
appear
in all places on the phone.* For example, the number is described as
"unknown" in

Oreo System About Phone Status SIM Status

Is this a problem?* Has it been caused by Three mobile's porting or
is it
something to do with Android or the hardware?* It's a Moto G5+ handset.

No it doesn't matter - the phone and SIM have no need to know their
own number to function correctly.

Some phones (notably the Doro range) will allow you to edit what is
shown here. Strangely enough so will the elderly Nokia 6150 I found the
other week, although later phones such as the 6310i won't.

From a technical point of view, the way it usually works is the first
entry in the SIM address book is blocked out and used for it, however
it's more of a convention rather than a standard.

So it's easy enough to see why a phone would let you edit it, but
underlines the lack of purpose of it (although I wonder if anyone has
thought that they can change their phone number that way?)
Old September 11th 19, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 18:59:34 UTC+1, DerekF wrote:
[...]

Up to you, obviously it lets them know you do LCR across different SIMs.
Old September 12th 19, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 06:54 11 Sep 2019, Someone Somewhere wrote:

On 10/09/2019 23:06, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/09/2019 20:49, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 10/09/2019 20:24, Pamela wrote:

I ported a number to a Three Mobile SIM but the new number doesn't
appear in all places on the phone.* For example, the number is
described as "unknown" in

Oreo System About Phone Status SIM Status

Is this a problem?* Has it been caused by Three mobile's porting or
is it something to do with Android or the hardware?* It's a Moto G5+
handset.

No it doesn't matter - the phone and SIM have no need to know their
own number to function correctly.

Some phones (notably the Doro range) will allow you to edit what is
shown here. Strangely enough so will the elderly Nokia 6150 I found the
other week, although later phones such as the 6310i won't.

From a technical point of view, the way it usually works is the first
entry in the SIM address book is blocked out and used for it, however
it's more of a convention rather than a standard.

So it's easy enough to see why a phone would let you edit it, but
underlines the lack of purpose of it (although I wonder if anyone has
thought that they can change their phone number that way?)

A friend ported a phone number onto a Three Mobile PAYG SIM and then some
months later sent me a text which had the original phone number. At first
I didn't recognise the sender.

I wonder how this happened?

She took a photo using the stock Android camera and then used an option to
share it with me. This resulted in the photo being uploaded to Google's
cloud storage and an SMS (with the incorrect sender number) sent to me.

Any idea?
Old September 12th 19, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Pamela wrote:
On 06:54 11 Sep 2019, Someone Somewhere wrote:

On 10/09/2019 23:06, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/09/2019 20:49, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 10/09/2019 20:24, Pamela wrote:

I ported a number to a Three Mobile SIM but the new number doesn't
appear in all places on the phone.ֲ* For example, the number is
described as "unknown" in

Oreo System About Phone Status SIM Status

Is this a problem?* Has it been caused by Three mobile's porting or
is it something to do with Android or the hardware?* It's a Moto G5+
handset.

No it doesn't matter - the phone and SIM have no need to know their
own number to function correctly.

Some phones (notably the Doro range) will allow you to edit what is
shown here. Strangely enough so will the elderly Nokia 6150 I found the
other week, although later phones such as the 6310i won't.

From a technical point of view, the way it usually works is the first
entry in the SIM address book is blocked out and used for it, however
it's more of a convention rather than a standard.

So it's easy enough to see why a phone would let you edit it, but
underlines the lack of purpose of it (although I wonder if anyone has
thought that they can change their phone number that way?)

A friend ported a phone number onto a Three Mobile PAYG SIM and then some
months later sent me a text which had the original phone number. At first
I didn't recognise the sender.

I wonder how this happened?

With some phones (a friend’s iPhone for one) have a field in the “settings”
area where you can type in your number. Dunno why, but if you move service
providers and have a new number and *don’t* change this to match your new
number life can get very confusing for SMS recipients as it’s this number
that appears as the sender.

If you’re porting your old number over this sorts itself out. It’s only a
problem if you’re changing phone numbers.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls