Old September 5th 19, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default No service on 3UK PAYG SIM

I have a 3UK PAYG SIM that says 'no service' when I try to use it. It is
in a dual SIM widows phone. Two other SIMs that I have work in that slot
including my my wife's 3UK SIM nor does my SIM work in hers or other phones.
I had not been using the 3UK for calls for the past six months since
adding a 1p Mobile card apart from a very occasional one just to keep
the number valid. I have had calls and texts to the number I imagine
until last month
When I go to the 3UK site it still shows that that I have £1.56 credit
on it. 3UK service desk assumed that the card was damaged and sent a
replacement one for the number with its credit on it. I still get the no
service message . Their next suggestion was to issue me with a new
number but that is too much hassle advising all the companies who have
it of the change.
My other thought was switching my number to 1p Mobile and then letting
3UK allocate me another number but am concerned the number may still not
work. 3UK say that my number has not been blocked by them for any
reason. When the replacement SIM did not work they said that they would
get their technical support to contact me in the next 24 hours but that
has not happened.
Is is possible that my number has been stolen or my card has been
cloned. I had a situation with Sainsbury's some years ago with a
different card where they stopped my number saying that it had been used
for PPI and other legal scam calls. I convinced them otherwise and they
reinstated my then number before suddenly stopping their mobile service.
A month or so ago about £4 of credit seemed to have disappeared from my
3UK but I then seemed that I had still left the Three SIM set up for
data connection.
Anyone else had a similar experience ? Looking on line the only
suggestion I saw was a rather old one to switch from 3G to 2G, turn your
phone off and on and back on. I switched from 4G to 3G but that did not
help.
Derek

Old September 5th 19, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 5 September 2019 09:35:11 UTC+1, DerekF wrote:
[...]

IMO your dual SIM "widows" phone only has 2G on the second SIM slot and current 3 PAYG SIM's won't let you roam onto 2G network.

Other [real[ networks all have 2G infrastructure and an older 3 contract SIM may allow roaming.
Old September 5th 19, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 05/09/2019 15:14, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Didn't he say somewhere in there that he'd tried the SIM in other phones
- I can't imagine none of them support 3G.

I'd say valid options a Customer services don't know what they're
doing and somehow the SIM is barred (or removed from) the network. Why
a SIM swap didn't resolve that I don't know. Or, of course, 3 network
coverage is down in his area - what does a manual network selection say?

Old September 5th 19, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 5 September 2019 15:56:23 UTC+1, Someone Somewhere wrote:
[...]

He may also have the access point set incorrectly or be using a data only SIM.

Old September 5th 19, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Someone Somewhere wrote:
I'd say valid options a Customer services don't know what they're
doing and somehow the SIM is barred (or removed from) the network. Why
a SIM swap didn't resolve that I don't know. Or, of course, 3 network
coverage is down in his area - what does a manual network selection say?

It's also possible there is LTE reception, but not 3G. The latter is needed
for calls unless the phone supports VoLTE.

Try seeing if your phone will report the signal strength and current band:
https://windowsphone.stackexchange.c...th-in-decibels

Theo

Old September 5th 19, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 05/09/2019 16:49, Theo wrote:
Someone Somewhere wrote:
I'd say valid options a Customer services don't know what they're
doing and somehow the SIM is barred (or removed from) the network. Why
a SIM swap didn't resolve that I don't know. Or, of course, 3 network
coverage is down in his area - what does a manual network selection say?

It's also possible there is LTE reception, but not 3G. The latter is needed
for calls unless the phone supports VoLTE.

Try seeing if your phone will report the signal strength and current band:
https://windowsphone.stackexchange.c...th-in-decibels

Theo

Apparently (although it's not entirely clear) it's not latching on to
the network at all - rather than just not being able to make calls/send
texts etc.

Old September 5th 19, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 05/09/2019 16:08, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Apparently (although it's not entirely clear) the SIM isn't attaching to
the network at all, rather than the absence of being able to make calls
or send texts.
Old September 5th 19, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

Thank you for that.
Derek
Old September 5th 19, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 05/09/2019 15:56, Someone Somewhere wrote:
[...]

My wife SIM is OK in her phone.They said the SIM is not barred.
Which manual network could I choose ?
Derek
Old September 5th 19, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

Its not a data only SIM I've been using it for phone and data for
several years.
Where do I find access point ? Though I had not changed anything since
it last worked
Derek