Old September 11th 19, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

On 10/09/2019 18:50, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/09/2019 17:51, Andrew wrote:
On 09/09/2019 16:52, Scott wrote:

How many have children, grandchildren, neighbours, friends etc who
could assist if they tried?

These are the people more likely to fall for the telephone scams, like:-

'This is Microsoft Your IP address has been compromised', or
'There are unusual transactions on your bank account, so you
need to move your money to a safe account'

If they tried that with my mum (she's 92 and has never used any form of
modern technology beyond a VCR, and she's forgotten how to use that now)
she'd likely respond with "What's a Microsoft..?"

That was my response when an indian-sounding gentleman phoned me.
Me: "Is that your christian(!) name or surname ...", kept him
on the line for ages until he got fed up and rang off.

Old September 11th 19, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/09/2019 11:01, tim... wrote:
It sees most unlikely that the demographic highlight as "not being
internet uses" are big uses of Sky catchup or xBox gaming

I suspect the question intended was more about the world wide web, which
is often confused with the internet.

Is Sky catchup actually an internet service, or just on the Sky's part
of the network?
Old September 12th 19, 07:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

tim... wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey
suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

I've had a bit of scan of the report and I don't see that number anywhere.
That sounds like a really high proportion.

I wonder if there is a number of people who don't understand what
non-internet usage means? Lack of internet usage is high in those with no
qualifications so it's possible they're watching catch-up on sky or
playing
online Xbox games and not really realising it.

It sees most unlikely that the demographic highlight as "not being internet
uses" are big uses of Sky catchup or xBox gaming

They were examples of devices that use the internet but aren't computers or
mobiles - which was the definition of being an internet user. My point is
the question was too simplistic and many people could misconstrue it. A
better question would ask about broadband services or smartphone usage.

Old September 12th 19, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 09/09/2019 11:47, Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18% described themselves as non-users.

The Oxford Internet Institute (OII), which carried out the research, said people falling into the category tended to be older and poorer than frequent net users.

I help to run a club of ~500 members, mostly middle-aged to elderly. We introduced online booking for our events a couple of years ago and had to cope with those members who had no Internet access by retaining some way of booking things by post. Over those two years the proportion of members who were not on-line has dropped from over 20% to well under 10%. Some were very elderly and have simply died or stopped being members because of infirmity, others have got help from family or friends to get themselves on-line, perhaps after realising how much of modern life is assisted by access to the Internet. I've seen no evidence that anyone who was on-line when younger giving up the Internet as they grow older. So I think this is a problem which will be more-or-less solved in a few years as the non-users gradually die off.

--
Clive Page
Old September 12th 19, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Clive Page wrote:
[...]

Some folk do lose the ability to use the net, my mother for one. She never
really progressed further than email and buying books on her Kindle.
Failing eyesight and intellectual ability means she can’t use her Kindle or
her iPad anymore.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old September 13th 19, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

In uk.telecom.broadband Chris wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
[...]

They are computers surely, just not 'visible to the user' computers.
In much the same way you can claim (or deny) that Microsoft based
'computers' are commonest, given that virtually all 'hidden'
computers like routers, smart TVs, streaming devices, NAS' etc. are
Linux based.

--
Chris Green
·
Old September 13th 19, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

tim... wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
[...]

That's my point.

In much the same way you can claim (or deny) that Microsoft based
'computers' are commonest, given that virtually all 'hidden'
computers like routers, smart TVs, streaming devices, NAS' etc. are
Linux based.

Ask the average person how many computers they have in the house and
they'll count up desktops/laptops only. A person with a tablet, a smart
TV and a mobile phone might deny they have any computers. I'm not saying
that's a bad thing - it's just human nature - but basing a survey on
people's internet usage on whether survey participants use a "computer"
or not is open to misunderstanding.

Old September 13th 19, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 13/09/2019 15:33, Chris wrote:

Ask the average person how many computers they have in the house and
they'll count up desktops/laptops only. A person with a tablet, a smart
TV and a mobile phone might deny they have any computers. I'm not saying
that's a bad thing - it's just human nature - but basing a survey on
people's internet usage on whether survey participants use a "computer"
or not is open to misunderstanding.

Just because something has a processor in it and/or connects to the
internet, doesn't mean it's a computer. To my mind, and I suspect most
people, a computer is a device you use for general computing purposes -
web browsing, emails, word processing etc. I suppose you could use a
so-called 'smart' phone for all those, but to me it's too limiting. I
need a proper keyboard and a decent sized screen.

Old September 13th 19, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 13/09/2019 15:33, Chris wrote:

Ask the average person how many computers they have in the house and
they'll count up desktops/laptops only. A person with a tablet, a smart
TV and a mobile phone might deny they have any computers. I'm not saying
that's a bad thing - it's just human nature - but basing a survey on
people's internet usage on whether survey participants use a "computer"
or not is open to misunderstanding.

Just because something has a processor in it and/or connects to the
internet, doesn't mean it's a computer. To my mind, and I suspect most
people, a computer is a device you use for general computing purposes -
web browsing, emails, word processing etc. I suppose you could use a
so-called 'smart' phone for all those, but to me it's too limiting. I
need a proper keyboard and a decent sized screen.

A modern smartphone has more processing power, more RAM, and more storage
than a whole data centre full of mainframes in the 1980s. So it's most
definitely a very powerful computer. Not only can you use it for web
browsing, emails, word processing, etc, but you can even shoot and watch
movies on it. The screen has more resolution than quite large monitors from
not so long ago.

Old September 13th 19, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

tim... wrote:

They are computers surely, just not 'visible to the user' computers.

That's my point.

In much the same way you can claim (or deny) that Microsoft based
'computers' are commonest, given that virtually all 'hidden'
computers like routers, smart TVs, streaming devices, NAS' etc. are
Linux based.

Ask the average person how many computers they have in the house and
they'll count up desktops/laptops only. A person with a tablet, a smart
TV and a mobile phone might deny they have any computers. I'm not saying
that's a bad thing - it's just human nature - but basing a survey on
people's internet usage on whether survey participants use a "computer"
or not is open to misunderstanding.

Yes, exactly! :-)

--
Chris Green