Old September 9th 19, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

The Oxford Internet Institute (OII), which carried out the research,
said people falling into the category tended to be older and poorer than
frequent net users.

The size of the group presented a "dilemma" for any government trying to
reach and support them, said the OII.
Age drop

"Non-users are older, proportionately less well-educated and have lower
incomes," said Dr Grant Blank, survey research fellow at the OII, who
oversaw the project.

Non-users, said Dr Blank, were those who did not go online via any means
- either phone or computer. The proportion of those falling into this
category grew as people aged, he said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49607061

Old September 9th 19, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 11:47:39 +0100, Java Jive
wrote:

[...]

How many have children, grandchildren, neighbours, friends etc who
could assist if they tried?
Old September 9th 19, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

I've had a bit of scan of the report and I don't see that number anywhere.
That sounds like a really high proportion.

I wonder if there is a number of people who don't understand what
non-internet usage means? Lack of internet usage is high in those with no
qualifications so it's possible they're watching catch-up on sky or playing
online Xbox games and not really realising it.

i don't have any evidence to support this, however.
Old September 9th 19, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/09/2019 18:19, Chris wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

I've had a bit of scan of the report and I don't see that number anywhere.
That sounds like a really high proportion.

I wonder if there is a number of people who don't understand what
non-internet usage means? Lack of internet usage is high in those with no
qualifications so it's possible they're watching catch-up on sky or playing
online Xbox games and not really realising it.

i don't have any evidence to support this, however.

Whereas the BBC report explained ...

"""The figure of 18% is higher than other official measures of
non-users, he said, because of the way the OII sampled the UK population.

Figures gathered by the Office for National Statistics suggest about
7.4% of the population are non-users but this figure is drawn from data
gathered for its Labour Force Survey.

This, said Dr Blank, looked at people who were in work, or might be, and
excluded those who did not work, as well as other non-workers such as
people with long-term disabilities or residents of care homes.

By contrast, he said, the OII survey visited people in their homes and
gathered a more detailed view of Britons' online lives.

"Virtually everyone is online before age 50," Dr Blank told the BBC.

After that milestone, he said, there was a "sharp decline" in use of
about 2% a year."""
Old September 10th 19, 07:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I can read.

The 18% is from the section on mobile access. People had 4 choices for how
they access the internet: computer (5%), mobile (15%), computer + mobile
(63%) and non-user (18%). No option for TV or console or any other
internet-enabled device.

Old September 10th 19, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

[...]

These are the people more likely to fall for the telephone scams, like:-

'This is Microsoft Your IP address has been compromised', or
'There are unusual transactions on your bank account, so you
need to move your money to a safe account'

And now they will get full compo from the banks shareholders and
other savers, so I for one sincerely hope that this group *never*
get on the internet. As long as utilities etc carry on accepting
postal cheque payments then this group will be quite happy.

Old September 10th 19, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 10/09/2019 17:51, Andrew wrote:
On 09/09/2019 16:52, Scott wrote:

How many have children, grandchildren, neighbours, friends etc who
could assist if they tried?

These are the people more likely to fall for the telephone scams, like:-

'This is Microsoft Your IP address has been compromised', or
'There are unusual transactions on your bank account, so you
need to move your money to a safe account'

If they tried that with my mum (she's 92 and has never used any form of
modern technology beyond a VCR, and she's forgotten how to use that now)
she'd likely respond with "What's a Microsoft..?"

Old September 10th 19, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

I'm currently being bombarded by calls supposedly from BT, all apparently
from different (fake) numbers, nothing like a real BT number. Usually I
ignore such calls and don't pick up, but once in a while I do, just for
fun. They start with a recorded stern British voice with some alarming
announcement that my BT line is about to be terminated or is compromised,
then switch to an American recorded voice before switching to a low
quality, very noisy Indian call centre (much worse than the ones BT uses).

Just to amuse myself, I sometimes see how long I can string them along. One
said that they had detected that my line speed had dropped, and the router
needed attention. I feigned concern, and asked what speeds they'd detected;
I wouldn't move on till he gave me an answer. I was hoping he'd make some
absurd speed number up, but his script obviously didn't cover that, so he
hung up (I know my actual line speeds very well, a rock solid 165Mbps, both
up and down, and nothing to do with BT, which I no longer use).

Old September 11th 19, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

"Chris" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
"Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet'

Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey
suggests.

The detailed in-home survey of almost 2,000 Britons found that 18%
described themselves as non-users.

I've had a bit of scan of the report and I don't see that number anywhere.
That sounds like a really high proportion.

I wonder if there is a number of people who don't understand what
non-internet usage means? Lack of internet usage is high in those with no
qualifications so it's possible they're watching catch-up on sky or
playing
online Xbox games and not really realising it.

It sees most unlikely that the demographic highlight as "not being internet
uses" are big uses of Sky catchup or xBox gaming

tim

Old September 11th 19, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

The guy who called me asked "how many devices do you have connected to your
internet"

to which I replied "I don't now, how do I find out" (FTAOD I do know)

He got confused so I said "I have a TV and a PVR both of which decide for
themselves whether to connect to the internet at any point in time".

How do I find out if they have decided to connect today?

He didn't seem to have an answer.

and eventually gave up

But I was acting in exactly the way that a numpty who might buy into his
scam would act. And yet his script couldn't catch me

tim