Old October 25th 19, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Rural not-spot scheme

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to provide
95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

that only took 5 years of banging heads together

Old October 25th 19, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 25/10/2019 14:06, Tim+ wrote:
That last bit does rather amaze me. With 5G becoming available naturally
(nearly) everyone is thinking about their next handset being 5G compatible.
Seems crazy that the latest only just released iphone isn’t 5G capable.

I'm thinking that mine must have wifi calling so I can use it at home. I
have no faith in any government backed scheme.

Andy
Old October 25th 19, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 25/10/2019 13:59, Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It’s got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don’t have a 5G capable handset on the market)

Oh, I don't know. I get better coverage on my Nokia 6310i than I ever
did on the Samsung S5 I used to use. Perhaps because I changed from
Three to O2 and was therefore *able* to use 2G.

Old October 25th 19, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 25/10/2019 14:01, Tim+ wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 08:37, Woody wrote:
On Fri 25/10/2019 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Will we still be using 4G in 6 years time? Surely by then it will be all
5G?

2G is still well established and used. Lots of people still have older
(non-smart) phones, me included. There's a large customer base they
won't want to lose, not everyone wants the latest Apple crap.

You can buy other brands of smart phone... ;-)

I know, I used to have a Samsung S5. Actually, it's still sitting in the
desk drawer doing 2FA duty (without a SIM card in it). The Nokia 6310i
runs rings around it in terms of actual phone coverage.

Old October 25th 19, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Tim+ wrote:
Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It’s got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don’t have a 5G capable handset on the market)

That last bit does rather amaze me. With 5G becoming available naturally
(nearly) everyone is thinking about their next handset being 5G compatible.
Seems crazy that the latest only just released iphone isn’t 5G capable.

Apple is seldom a technology pioneer. It's good at copying technology
proven by someone else and deploying it on a larger scale and higher price.

Old October 25th 19, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 14:01, Tim+ wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 08:37, Woody wrote:
On Fri 25/10/2019 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Will we still be using 4G in 6 years time? Surely by then it will be all
5G?

2G is still well established and used. Lots of people still have older
(non-smart) phones, me included. There's a large customer base they
won't want to lose, not everyone wants the latest Apple crap.

You can buy other brands of smart phone... ;-)

I know, I used to have a Samsung S5. Actually, it's still sitting in the
desk drawer doing 2FA duty (without a SIM card in it). The Nokia 6310i
runs rings around it in terms of actual phone coverage.

Modern smartphones are mainly not used as phones, so they're optimised for
other things. If you look at the marketing hype for any new model, it's not
its phone calling abilities that are highlighted; they're probably not even
mentioned, as they won't have improved.

Old October 26th 19, 06:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 14:01, Tim+ wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
[...]

This link https://pedroc.co.uk/content/uk-comm...obile-spectrum shows
the current (I think) state of play with respect to spectrum allocation.
The Nokia 6310i has a 1800/900 MHz radio, so can only take advantage of
part of what is available. Comparing it to something on the 3 network
probably does give you better results, as 3 has been (is?) fairly poor in
its coverage - one reason why it has to sell cheaply. 3 has invested
heavily in 5G spectrum, and if they are to be believed, will become a major
player. This link https://5g.co.uk/guides/5g-uk-auction/ gives an
indication of where things will end up ( read down a bit for post auction
spectrum holdings).

I suspect the 700 MHz band, when TV is cleared from it, will really help
rural coverage. This may be why the recently announced rural coverage
network has such a long timescale.

I wonder how all of this will affect investment in fixed networks? It’s
going to be a hard sell to get many people to pay for a fibre to the home
link when they can get decent speed at a reasonable price via a mobile
network.

Old October 26th 19, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

In uk.telecom.broadband MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 13:59, Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It’s got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don’t have a 5G capable handset on the market)

Oh, I don't know. I get better coverage on my Nokia 6310i than I ever
did on the Samsung S5 I used to use. Perhaps because I changed from
Three to O2 and was therefore *able* to use 2G.

It just depends where you are what network and technology works best.
Where we are the only network that gives reliable coverage inside our
house is Three because they happen to have local 4G masts using 800Mhz.
We needed to get phones that were able to make ordinary phone calls
using 4G to tale advantage of this.

--
Chris Green
·
Old October 26th 19, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Tweed wrote:

I wonder how all of this will affect investment in fixed networks? It’s
going to be a hard sell to get many people to pay for a fibre to the home
link when they can get decent speed at a reasonable price via a mobile
network.

If I had decent 4G I’d ditch my land line and BB connection. I’m sure many
folk have already. My daughter happily streams video to her TV using the 3
network on an unlimited data deal. Works well for her.

I mean, it’s not as if the 3 Network ever goes down? ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 26th 19, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 13:59, Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It’s got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don’t have a 5G capable handset on the market)

Oh, I don't know. I get better coverage on my Nokia 6310i than I ever
did on the Samsung S5 I used to use. Perhaps because I changed from
Three to O2 and was therefore *able* to use 2G.

Yep, the Nokia 6310i is an excellent buggy whip. Meanwhile the rest of us
are driving cars. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls