Old October 26th 19, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Rural not-spot scheme

On 26/10/2019 11:33, Tim+ wrote:

Tweed wrote:

I wonder how all of this will affect investment in fixed networks? It’s
going to be a hard sell to get many people to pay for a fibre to the home
link when they can get decent speed at a reasonable price via a mobile
network.

If I had decent 4G I’d ditch my land line and BB connection. I’m sure many
folk have already. My daughter happily streams video to her TV using the 3
network on an unlimited data deal. Works well for her.

+1 except for me it's Virgin Mobile.

Old October 26th 19, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 25/10/2019 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Just as the original Cellnet and Vodafone did in Scotland twenty or more
years ago.
Old October 26th 19, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 25/10/2019 08:52, Scott wrote:
Will the protestors be co-operating to oppose 'dangerous' masts
causing radiation?

Of course, they be ringing up the media on their mobile phones to protest!
Old October 26th 19, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 25/10/2019 14:06, Tim+ wrote:
That last bit does rather amaze me. With 5G becoming available naturally
(nearly) everyone is thinking about their next handset being 5G compatible.
Seems crazy that the latest only just released iphone isn’t 5G capable.

Only because they are being conned by the salespeople into thinking they
need 5G when many have no need for it and probably hardly ever use 4G,

Old October 26th 19, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MB wrote:
On 25/10/2019 14:06, Tim+ wrote:
That last bit does rather amaze me. With 5G becoming available naturally
(nearly) everyone is thinking about their next handset being 5G compatible.
Seems crazy that the latest only just released iphone isn’t 5G capable.

Only because they are being conned by the salespeople into thinking they
need 5G when many have no need for it and probably hardly ever use 4G,

4G and 5G are really of primary benefit to the networks. 4G is spectrally
more efficient than 3G, so it’s in the networks’ interests to close down as
much 3G as they can. 5G is mainly about more capacity at the higher
frequencies. For example, it’s is currently very hard to service crowded
areas, eg a stadium or busy railway station, properly. Unfortunately the
general public don’t understand such things, so it ends up being sold on
speed. If you have a phone that can go down to 700MHz for long distance
rural coverage and works up into the millimetre waves for crowded areas I
would consider that to be useful, rather than being “conned”.

Reading up on the 700 MHz spectrum auction, is does seem that is being done
on the basis of rural coverage commitments.

Old October 26th 19, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MB wrote:
On 25/10/2019 14:06, Tim+ wrote:
That last bit does rather amaze me. With 5G becoming available naturally
(nearly) everyone is thinking about their next handset being 5G compatible.
Seems crazy that the latest only just released iphone isn’t 5G capable.

Only because they are being conned by the salespeople into thinking they
need 5G when many have no need for it and probably hardly ever use 4G,

Speak for yourself, I use 4G a lot.

Do I need faster speeds? I don’t know but with every increase in speed
there have been new ways to utilise the data and just because you and I
can’t think what we’d use if for *now*, doesn’t mean that we won’t have
uses for it in the near future.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 26th 19, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 26/10/2019 13:35, Tim+ wrote:
Speak for yourself, I use 4G a lot.

Do I need faster speeds? I don’t know but with every increase in speed
there have been new ways to utilise the data and just because you and I
can’t think what we’d use if for*now*, doesn’t mean that we won’t have
uses for it in the near future.

I am sure you do but I bet there are lots of people who have been
convinced that they need 4G and 5G when an older phone would be fine for
them.
Old October 26th 19, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 26/10/2019 11:35, Tim+ wrote:
Yep, the Nokia 6310i is an excellent buggy whip. Meanwhile the rest of us
are driving cars.

But that 100K+ Ferrari is a bit wasted for driving down the road to pick
up the shopping a couple of times a week.

Old October 26th 19, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MB wrote:
On 26/10/2019 13:35, Tim+ wrote:
Speak for yourself, I use 4G a lot.

Do I need faster speeds? I don’t know but with every increase in speed
there have been new ways to utilise the data and just because you and I
can’t think what we’d use if for*now*, doesn’t mean that we won’t have
uses for it in the near future.

I am sure you do but I bet there are lots of people who have been
convinced that they need 4G and 5G when an older phone would be fine for
them.

Patronising or what? You’ve decided what other people may or may not need
in terms of data?

Stick to your 2G stick phone and leave the bandwidth for those of us who
know how to use it.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 26th 19, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MB wrote:
On 26/10/2019 11:35, Tim+ wrote:
Yep, the Nokia 6310i is an excellent buggy whip. Meanwhile the rest of us
are driving cars.

But that 100K+ Ferrari is a bit wasted for driving down the road to pick
up the shopping a couple of times a week.

I use my Ferrari daily so it’s capabilities aren’t wasted.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls