Old October 25th 19, 06:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Rural not-spot scheme

All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Old October 25th 19, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri 25/10/2019 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Will we still be using 4G in 6 years time? Surely by then it will be all 5G?

I notice that HMG have said they will contribute £530m to the project if
the SPs go ahead. However this may be against EU rules on state support
being anti competitive. How that can be when all four and only
infrastructure operators are involved baffles me. Another good reason
for Brexit methinks?

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old October 25th 19, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Woody wrote:

HMG have said they will contribute £530m to the project if the SPs go
ahead. However this may be against EU rules on state support being anti
competitive.

The chap (from vodafone?) being interviewed on R4 said they'd had to be
"careful" with the anti-competitive stuff ...
Old October 25th 19, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 07:23:48 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Will the protestors be co-operating to oppose 'dangerous' masts
causing radiation?
Old October 25th 19, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 25/10/2019 08:37, Woody wrote:
On Fri 25/10/2019 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Will we still be using 4G in 6 years time? Surely by then it will be all
5G?

Out in the sticks? You have to be kidding! There is still 2.5G on some
networks round here (if you can get a workable signal at all).

I notice that HMG have said they will contribute £530m to the project if
the SPs go ahead. However this may be against EU rules on state support
being anti competitive. How that can be when all four and only
infrastructure operators are involved baffles me. Another good reason
for Brexit methinks?

HMG have a bad habit of blaming all their errors on the EU.

Martin Brown

Old October 25th 19, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 25/10/2019 08:37, Woody wrote:
On Fri 25/10/2019 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Will we still be using 4G in 6 years time? Surely by then it will be all
5G?

2G is still well established and used. Lots of people still have older
(non-smart) phones, me included. There's a large customer base they
won't want to lose, not everyone wants the latest Apple crap.

Old October 25th 19, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 08:37, Woody wrote:
On Fri 25/10/2019 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Will we still be using 4G in 6 years time? Surely by then it will be all
5G?

2G is still well established and used. Lots of people still have older
(non-smart) phones, me included. There's a large customer base they
won't want to lose, not everyone wants the latest Apple crap.

It can be any form of G the operators desire. Modern base stations are all
software reconfigurable. 2G will hang around for years, as there is a not
inconsiderable amount of fixed devices (eg alarm autodiallers) that use it
and are hard to replace. All that will happen is that the amount of
spectrum allocated to 2G will decrease as the traffic declines. 3G is
probably the system that will get switched off first, as it offers no
advantage over 4G and most handsets that can do 3G can also do 4G. I guess
what will happen is that 3G will end up on a tiny single band somewhere,
and 3G only customers will notice that their reception is getting poorer,
blame it on the ancient handset, and go and buy a new one. The end game
will be 2G and 4G, with an increasing amount of 5G and a slowly reducing
amount of 4G. Operators are now free to allocate their spectrum to any form
of standards compliant modulation they see fit. Gone are the days that a
particular frequency band is allocated to one particular sort of G.

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It’s got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don’t have a 5G capable handset on the market)

Old October 25th 19, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 25/10/2019 08:37, Woody wrote:
On Fri 25/10/2019 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
All four mobile operators to co-operate in mast sharing scheme to
provide 95% geographical 4G coverage by 2025 ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-billion-deal-set-to-solve-poor-mobile-coverage

Will we still be using 4G in 6 years time? Surely by then it will be all
5G?

2G is still well established and used. Lots of people still have older
(non-smart) phones, me included. There's a large customer base they
won't want to lose, not everyone wants the latest Apple crap.

You can buy other brands of smart phone... ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 25th 19, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It’s got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don’t have a 5G capable handset on the market)

That last bit does rather amaze me. With 5G becoming available naturally
(nearly) everyone is thinking about their next handset being 5G compatible.
Seems crazy that the latest only just released iphone isn’t 5G capable.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 25th 19, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Tim+ wrote:
Tweed wrote:

If you cling on to an old handset you are already probably not getting such
good coverage as a modern device, simply because the old handset does not
have a radio that is sufficiently flexible to use all the new frequency
bands being opened up to the mobile operators. It’s got nothing to do with
Apple. (Who currently don’t have a 5G capable handset on the market)

That last bit does rather amaze me. With 5G becoming available naturally
(nearly) everyone is thinking about their next handset being 5G compatible.
Seems crazy that the latest only just released iphone isn’t 5G capable.

Tim

It seems they are just kissing and making up with Qualcomm, with whom
they’ve been very busy in court until peace recently broke out. They need
Qualcomm’s radio front end. I suppose another reason to wait a year is to
wait for standards to become, well standard. What little of the 5G network
that currently exists around the world is a bit experimental at the moment.
I think next September’s iPhone release will take the plunge. It must get
increasingly difficult to design antennas that work on the increasingly
vast array of frequency bands being allocated to mobile use.