Old November 7th 19, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers

On 07/11/2019 18:10, Tweed wrote:

What’s wrong with Vodafone’s unlimited plans? £23/month speed capped at
2Mbit/second, £26/month capped at 10Mbit/sec, £30/month no speed capping.
You can get a “Gigacube” from them, which is a consumer friendly router,
though admittedly it is a bit expensive. It’s a rebadged Chinese product,
so doubtless you can get it elsewhere. Contract dearer then Three, but not
unreasonable if you can get Vodafone but not Three.

I didn't find anything meeting the criteria I gave in the open letter
when I searched the Vodaphone site a month or so ago, and the only
current plan less than £25 pcm is speed capped at roughly the speed we
already get for less via landlines around here. Also, it probably
didn't help that the site locked up my browser so I had to reload it
disallowing JavaScript, but today it seems to be working alright.

Old November 7th 19, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:
On 07/11/2019 18:10, Tweed wrote:

What’s wrong with Vodafone’s unlimited plans? £23/month speed capped at
2Mbit/second, £26/month capped at 10Mbit/sec, £30/month no speed capping.
You can get a “Gigacube” from them, which is a consumer friendly router,
though admittedly it is a bit expensive. It’s a rebadged Chinese product,
so doubtless you can get it elsewhere. Contract dearer then Three, but not
unreasonable if you can get Vodafone but not Three.

I didn't find anything meeting the criteria I gave in the open letter
when I searched the Vodaphone site a month or so ago, and the only
current plan less than £25 pcm is speed capped at roughly the speed we
already get for less via landlines around here. Also, it probably
didn't help that the site locked up my browser so I had to reload it
disallowing JavaScript, but today it seems to be working alright.

You said around £25. £26 is near enough, and £10 Mbit/sec is not that bad.
Vodafone’s unlimited offering has been around since about September.

Old November 7th 19, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 07/11/2019 19:06, Java Jive wrote:
If you read the rest of that section, I hacked a BT Home Hub 5a to get
something suitable, because I was dissatisfied for one reason or another
with the commercial offerings then available, but that meant going way
beyond what a normal householder should be expected to do.

I read your original thread on that project at the time and commented.

You had a very specific requirement not relevant to most potential users
of 4G who are fine with the many commercial 4G routers. You embarked on
a prolonged project which few would even contemplate except dedicated
hobbyists. If anything the comment confused the point you said you were
making on behalf of ordinary users rather than supporting it.
Old November 8th 19, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 11:52:55 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

FWIW, I have recently sent the following open letter to all UK mobile
suppliers except Three (because they already have a suitable plan
available). If this or similar is an issue for others here, as it might
well be, feel free to adapt the text of the following as a basis for
your own complaint - remember to copy Ofcom and your local national
and regional representatives:

Copy: Ofcom Mobile SIM Plans - Data 4 November, 2019

Dear Sir/Madam,

Although unelected, I represent particularly some 65 households [snip]
in Sutherland, Scotland. However more generally, I know that the
problem I am addressing is of vital concern to rural households
throughout the entire UK.

Our problem is that, although houses nearest to the exchange at last can
get FTTC, for the rest land-line broadband service is terrible with no
prospect of improvement. The farthest households out are 12kms from the
exchange and can not get ADSL at all, while those too far out for FTTC
but able to get ADSL, get maximum speeds of only around 1.5-2 Mbps.
Further, despite many complaints, the infrastructure suffers from
terminal neglect - major joins in the cables, where ditch clearance or
verge trimming have cut them, remain on the surface without ever being
re-buried, leaving them vulnerable to water penetration and further
physical damage. Thus the service is not just slow but also unreliable.

<snip

Sorry not read all the thread - have you tried:

https://www.highlandwireless.co.uk/s...nd-sutherland/

My limited experience of wireless broadband has been that once there
is a bit of take-up then BT soon follow.

I lived in a village, well hamlet really, of some 60 properties and
were not even on the radar for ADSL when Pipex came in with their
Wireless Broadband. A year later quite suddenly BT seemed to manage
to deliver ADSL (albeit at 1Mbps but compared to dial up - and always
on).

Move on to about 4 years ago and the struggling ADSL was still the
best on offer from BT. Patchy 3g was around but INEEDBROADBAND came
in with a 10-20Mbps wireless. Quite expensive but there were a number
of small businesses and affluent home owners around. So what happens
shortly afterwards, no not even FTTC but FTTP. I can't even get that
in a suburb on the edge of the city!! My friends don't know what to
do with the speed ~100Mbps.

So the moral seems to be - force BT's hand by showing willing
elsewhere.

Anyone else experienced similar?

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Old November 8th 19, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 08/11/2019 12:26, AnthonyL wrote:

Sorry not read all the thread - have you tried:

https://www.highlandwireless.co.uk/s...nd-sutherland/

YES! Their service to our area began two days ago! It is reasonably
priced, though more than I'm paying as detailed below, but the biggest
problem is the cost of getting connected, £300. Locals who qualify,
most of them, have until 29th November to enrol in the UK Governmnent's
Better Broadband scheme which will reduce that to £40.
https://basicbroadband.culture.gov.uk/

However, I'm trying to get local residents some meaningful *choice*,
hence my open letter to mobile suppliers as well. Better mobile schemes
would be a third choice:
Landline < 2/0.25 Mbps Down/Up, but some too far out;
Highland Wireless, £33 pcm 50/20 Mbps Down/Up;
4G £25 pcm 20/2.5 Mbps Down/Up, but few good deals, though Three &
Vodafone's plans look like they may already be forcing some change -
what is needed is that similar deals become more widespread.

Old November 8th 19, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 7 November 2019 17:33:36 UTC, MikeS wrote:
On 07/11/2019 11:52, Java Jive wrote:
Another problem is the lack of mobile/4G routers available.

I don't understand this comment. There is a long history of such 3G
routers at reasonable cost and manufacturers such as TP-Link have an
excellent range of 4G consumer routers, either using a USB dongle or
with an embedded SIM slot.

Odd that I advised a friend's company about installing a [Teltonika] 4G router in their premises and they are very happy with it.
Old November 8th 19, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

In uk.telecom.broadband AnthonyL wrote:
Move on to about 4 years ago and the struggling ADSL was still the
best on offer from BT. Patchy 3g was around but INEEDBROADBAND came
in with a 10-20Mbps wireless. Quite expensive but there were a number
of small businesses and affluent home owners around. So what happens
shortly afterwards, no not even FTTC but FTTP. I can't even get that
in a suburb on the edge of the city!! My friends don't know what to
do with the speed ~100Mbps.

So the moral seems to be - force BT's hand by showing willing
elsewhere.

Anyone else experienced similar?

I think FTTP gets used when there isn't a suitable FTTC solution. We could
have 'up to' 2Mbps ADSL on copper (3.5km from the exchange by crow), and
evidently this wasn't really good enough. So FTTP has been strung along the
same poles, providing (tiers up to) a gigabit service.

Meanwhile the villages around are on ~30Mbps FTTC, presumably because that was
cheaper and quicker for Openreach to deploy. The 'superfast broadband' box
has now been ticked, so no need to provide them with a faster service.

Theo

Old November 8th 19, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Java Jive wrote:
[...]

EE and O2 will join in once they have sufficient capacity to sell. 5G
deployment will hasten this, as it creates a lot more capacity. Given
you’ve got Three, Vodafone and a fixed wireless solution, all at reasonable
prices, I don’t really think you’ve got too much to complain about at the
moment. Three different viable suppliers is more than many get. Before you
complain about pricing, note that Virgin Media’s lowest tier (50 Mbit/sec)
is £37/month undiscovered, £30/month for the first 12 months. (Cable
service for those that can get it)

Old November 8th 19, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Bev Bev is offline

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 14:43:48 +0000, Theo wrote:

I think FTTP gets used when there isn't a suitable FTTC solution. We
could have 'up to' 2Mbps ADSL on copper (3.5km from the exchange by
crow), and evidently this wasn't really good enough. So FTTP has been
strung along the same poles, providing (tiers up to) a gigabit service.

Excuse my butting in here... do you have FTTP installed to your own home
and, if so, what was the process that was followed please?

I ask as it is anticipated that we should be getting it also within the
next few months (once a number of trees have been cut back to permit the
fibre to be strung along the electricity poles) but reading the various
reports on the internet it seems that installation methods have changed
somewhat over time. The ideal solution, for me, would be to carry the
fibre optic cable straight through the gable wall into the loft and then
down through the ceiling into the study. This would follow the route of
the existing telephone line.

Various reports suggest that either:
this is indeed possible or
that it is not and it has to terminate at a box on the outside

Someone's recent experience would be gratefully received so that I can
begin to make my own preparations for the install.

Thanks
Old November 8th 19, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
Bev wrote:

I ask as it is anticipated that we should be getting it also within the
next few months (once a number of trees have been cut back to permit the
fibre to be strung along the electricity poles) but reading the various
reports on the internet it seems that installation methods have changed
somewhat over time. The ideal solution, for me, would be to carry the
fibre optic cable straight through the gable wall into the loft and then
down through the ceiling into the study. This would follow the route of
the existing telephone line.

Various reports suggest that either:
this is indeed possible or
that it is not and it has to terminate at a box on the outside

Someone's recent experience would be gratefully received so that I can
begin to make my own preparations for the install.

I had FTTP installed a few months ago. The cable (which has both fibre
and copper) replaced the existing one and comes in to the house just
as the old one did, with no box on the outside.

-- Richard

Galaxy S3 - same deal, different suppliers - benefits? David WE Roberts[_3_] UK Mobile Phones 11 July 11th 12 09:41 AM
Suppliers Jon UK Mobile Phones 1 March 23rd 06 04:10 PM
New Phone Suppliers Unimobiles.com Marketplace 0 April 3rd 04 10:09 PM
An open letter to Jean Francois Pontal (Orange CEO) - Long www.kernow-telecom.co.uk UK Mobile Phones 52 January 1st 04 01:25 AM