Old November 12th 19, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers

On 12/11/2019 14:44, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

MB wrote:

You have to remember it will be completely unprofitable for the
mobile provider unless someone subsidies them.

Nonsense, EE have to upgrade for the national emergency services network

But they don't have to give unlimited usage at a knockdown price,
Airwave isn't cheap.

No, but given that they have to have the infrastructure where there is a
low population density, they might as well make some money by supplying
a realistically priced alternative to a landline, at least in those areas.

Old November 12th 19, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue 12/11/2019 14:44, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

MB wrote:

You have to remember it will be completely unprofitable for the
mobile provider unless someone subsidies them.

Nonsense, EE have to upgrade for the national emergency services network

But they don't have to give unlimited usage at a knockdown price,
Airwave isn't cheap.

Not Airwave any more. The ESMCP replaces Airwave - or it will when EE
get their act together!

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old November 12th 19, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:

Not Airwave any more.

Still very much Airwave, last I heard there was talk of some test
handsets being dished out to assess local coverage/blackspots.
Old November 12th 19, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:

Nonsense, EE have to upgrade for the national emergency services
network, and others have to follow lest they lose rural custom to EE.
Hence, although coverage is a little patchy here, the only national
carrier network that still has inferior coverage, no 4G, is Three.

?? Three do have 4G coverage. In fact where we are in rural Suffolk
the *only* network that provides a good signal is Three's 4G.

--
Chris Green
·
Old November 12th 19, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 12/11/2019 20:19, Chris Green wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

Nonsense, EE have to upgrade for the national emergency services
network, and others have to follow lest they lose rural custom to EE.
Hence, although coverage is a little patchy here, the only national
carrier network that still has inferior coverage, no 4G, is Three.

?? Three do have 4G coverage. In fact where we are in rural Suffolk
the *only* network that provides a good signal is Three's 4G.

I know, but around here they're the worst of the main carriers for
coverage and signal strength.

Old November 12th 19, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:

MB wrote:

You have to remember it will be completely unprofitable for the
mobile provider unless someone subsidies them.

Nonsense, EE have to upgrade for the national emergency services network

But they don't have to give unlimited usage at a knockdown price,
Airwave isn't cheap.

No, but given that they have to have the infrastructure where there is a
low population density, they might as well make some money by supplying
a realistically priced alternative to a landline, at least in those areas.

It is not Airwave of course but I am sure the people paying will be
watching very carefully to ensure they are not paying towards the cost
of the extension of the commercial networks (unless the politicians pay
them to do so).

There will be some shared infrastructure but it will all be costed and
split between all users and quite likely the emergency services provider
expecting to make some money from the other users.

Old December 14th 19, 06:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Java Jive wrote:

I write to request that yourselves, as a mobile supplier in the UK,
provide a mobile data SIM plan that will:
*** • Allow at least 200GB but preferably unlimited usage;
*** • Cost not more than around £25pm;

Three currently offering unlimited calls/texts/data for £18/m

*** • Not be a one-off offer which disappears from your website after a
short period of time;

but it's only an xmas offer

Old December 14th 19, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 14/12/2019 07:57, Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

I write to request that yourselves, as a mobile supplier in the UK,
provide a mobile data SIM plan that will:
**** • Allow at least 200GB but preferably unlimited usage;
**** • Cost not more than around £25pm;

Three currently offering unlimited calls/texts/data for £18/m

**** • Not be a one-off offer which disappears from your website after
a short period of time;

but it's only an xmas offer

At the time I started the thread, Three were the only people already
offering something within the criteria, so I didn't bother to send them
the letter. Unfortunately, around here Three have the worst coverage,
some of it being only 3G, but in the thread someone pointed out that
Vodafone began offering a suitable package around September, and I think
this has already helped at least one local resident to whom I passed
this information.

Rather as I expected, every reply to my open letter that I received was
bland and rather inconsequential, but at least I tried, and copies went
to Ofcom, MP, and MSPs, so that 'officialdom' have been notified of the
need.

The other day, I saw a Highland Wireless van outside two new-build
houses, and from the road can now see data dishes on the properties, so
he's got at least two new customers to offset against his outlay in
setting up the system, but I fancy he'll need more. It's a fine day, so
I might go for a walk around later and count dishes!

Galaxy S3 - same deal, different suppliers - benefits? David WE Roberts[_3_] UK Mobile Phones 11 July 11th 12 09:41 AM
Suppliers Jon UK Mobile Phones 1 March 23rd 06 04:10 PM
New Phone Suppliers Unimobiles.com Marketplace 0 April 3rd 04 10:09 PM
An open letter to Jean Francois Pontal (Orange CEO) - Long www.kernow-telecom.co.uk UK Mobile Phones 52 January 1st 04 01:25 AM