Old November 11th 19, 11:42 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Do you use a pedometer app that is free, no login, no ads, & no reporting back to the home ship?

Do you use a pedometer app that is free, no login, no reporting back to the
home ship, no ads (if possible), no annoying nags, etc.?

You know, it's JUST a pedometer (nothing else).
(What happens on the phone, stays on the phone.)

Googling, there are a lot to test out, so that's why I ask here first.
(I'm trying to recommend one to a friend who is dieting & exercising.)

F-Droid:
Pedometer <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytracker/
Pedometer <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/name.bagi.levente.pedometer/
Pedometer <https://www.f-droid.org/en/packages/de.j4velin.pedometer/

Top 10 Free Pedometer Apps for Android
1. Activity Tracker
2. Google Fit
3. Accupedo
4. Noom Walk
5. EasyFit Step Counter
6. Pedometer
7. Step Tracker
8. Easy Pedometer
9. Pedometer 2018
10. Zeopoxa Pedometer
<https://activitytrackerapp.com/blog/top-7-free-pedometer-apps-for-android/

Top 8 Pedometer Apps For Android Devices
1. Moves
2. Walk With Map My Walk
3. Runtastic Pedometer
4. Accupedo
5. Noom Walk
6. Endomodo Sports Tracker PRO
7. Nike+ Running
8. Zombies, Run!
<https://beebom.com/top-8-pedometer-apps-for-android/

10 Best Pedometer Apps for Android to Track your Walk
1. MapMyWalk
2. Runtastic Pedometer
3. Noom Walk
4. Runkeeper Free
5. Accupedo-Pro pedometer
6. Endmodo Sports Tracker
7. Nike+Running
8. Zombies Run
9. Pedometer 2.0
10. TimeWalker
<https://www.techamiable.com/apps/android-apps/10-best-app/pedometer-apps-for-android/

10 best pedometer apps and step counter apps for Android!
1. Google Fit
2. Leap Fitness Step Counter & Pedometer
3. MyFitnessPal
4. Pedometer
5. Pacer Health's Pedometer and Step Counter
6. Runkeeper
7. Runtastic Steps
8. Zombies, Run! and The Walk (2 apps)
9. (stuff that comes with a fitness band)
10. (stuff that comes with your phone)
<https://www.androidauthority.com/best-pedometer-apps-step-counter-apps-for-android-852651/

10 Free Pedometer and Step Counter Apps for Android
1. Google Fit
2. Zombies, Run!
3. Runtastic Steps
4. Argus
5. Pedometer
6. ViewRanger
7. Fitbit
8. Pedometer, Step Counter & Weight Loss Tracker
9. Accupedo
10. Noom Walk
<https://www.maketecheasier.com/free-android-pedometer-apps/

10 Best Pedometer Apps for Android
1. Google Fit
2. Step Counter
3. Pedometer by ITO
4. Zombies, Run!
5. Runtastic Steps
6. Runkeeper
7. Pedometer Step Counter
8. Walk with Map My Walk
9. Noom Walk Pedometer
10. Argus Calorie Counter Diet
<https://joyofandroid.com/best-pedometer-apps-for-android/

12 Free Pedometer Apps That Are Better Than Fitbit
1. Apple Health (you know it sucks when the first is apple)
2. Google Fit (you know it sucks when the second is google)
3. Stepz
4. Accupedo
5. StepsApp Pedometer
6. Argus
7. Map My Walk
8. Walker
9. Fitbit
10. Quped
11. Unicef Kid Power
12. WinWalk
<https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-free-pedometer-apps/

The best Android apps for counting steps
1. Google Fit
2. Pacer Pedometer
3. Runkeeper
4. Walk with Map My Walk
<https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-best-android-apps-for-counting-steps/

As usual, when the field is this polluted, it's very hard to tell which
apps consistently comes out on top for doing one thing and one thing only.

--
Each thread to this ng should add value with the OP plus adult answers.

Old November 12th 19, 04:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android

Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:
Do you use a pedometer app that is free, no login, no reporting back to the
home ship, no ads (if possible), no annoying nags, etc.?

You know, it's JUST a pedometer (nothing else).
(What happens on the phone, stays on the phone.)

Googling, there are a lot to test out, so that's why I ask here first.
(I'm trying to recommend one to a friend who is dieting & exercising.)

<massive snip

You make no mention of the fact that if your phone doesn’t have a built in
fitness app/step counter it’s probably because it doesn’t have the low
power consumption chips that preserve your battery. I suspect that all apps
for phones without the appropriate chipset will drain the battery rather
more quickly that most users would like.

I could be wrong but that was certainly the case when I had an iPhone 4s
which didn’t have the appropriate chipset.

Stand alone pedometers are dirt cheap and won’t flatten your phone battery.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old November 12th 19, 05:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android

On 12 Nov 2019 05:34:13 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

You make no mention of the fact that if your phone doesnt have a built in
fitness app/step counter its probably because it doesnt have the low
power consumption chips that preserve your battery. I suspect that all apps
for phones without the appropriate chipset will drain the battery rather
more quickly that most users would like.

I could be wrong but that was certainly the case when I had an iPhone 4s
which didnt have the appropriate chipset.

Stand alone pedometers are dirt cheap and wont flatten your phone battery.

Hi Tim+
This isn't actually for me, but the person is using the same phone as I
have, as it was a gift from me to them two years ago when I bought a bunch
of these $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus phones at Costco on sale.

A standalone pedometer is patently out of the question.
o The whole reason for a smart phone is that it does stuff.

More so, if they wanted a standalone pedometer, I wouldn't have asked the
question of the Android group, just as if they wanted a standalone Garmon
nuvi, I wouldn't ask a GPS question, or just as if they wanted to measure
angles using a digital scale, I wouldn't ask about such apps on Android.

If they wanted to use a landline, I wouldn't ask the question here either.
o The whole point of a smartphone is NOT to have a separate accessory!

However, your point is valid that I didn't mention whether the $130 LG
Stylo 3 Plus has "the appropriate chipset" since I didn't even know it was
a consideration, but now I do, which I appreciate, as EVERY post in a
Usenet thread should ADD value to share with the group.

How can we tell?
I don't know.

I do notice some apps mention this, for example:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.pedometer
"Lightweight pedometer app using the hardware step-sensor for minimal
battery consumption.
This app is designed to be running all the time without having any impact
on your battery life! It uses the hardware step detection sensor of devices
like the Nexus 5, which is already running even when not using any
pedometer app. Therefore the app does not consume any additional battery
drain. Unlike other pedometer apps, this app does not track your movement
or your location so it doesn't need to turn on your GPS sensor (again: no
impact on your battery)."

Where that app went to great lengths to say the battery impact is zero.
o Unfortunately, the app I settled on, at the moment, doesn't say anything
about the "battery usage" or the "appropriate chipset":
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytracker/
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytrack er

But many of the pedometer apps DO say they use the "built-in" sensor:
"This pedometer uses the built-in sensor to count your steps. No GPS
tracking, so it can greatly save battery."
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pedometer.stepcounter.calorieburner.ped ometerforwalking

"This step counter uses the built-in sensor to count your steps. No GPS
tracking, so it barely consumes battery power."
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pedometer.steptracker.calorieburner.ste pcounter

So the question that you bring up is whether the $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus has
the "appropriate chipset" you speak of.

Let me google a bit for what sensor is needed, presumably an accelerometer:
<https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_stylo_3_plus-8694.php
o fingerprint,
o accelerometer,
o gyro,
o proximity,
o compass
<https://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=sensors

<https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-TP450-stylo-3-plus
o Rear Key with Fingerprint Sensor
o Magnetometer, Compass embedded in phone,
o Gyroscope, Detects rotation of phone to enhance gaming experience
o Accelerometer Control games by turning and tilting

Are those the "appropriate chipsets"?
I don't know.
What do you think?

If they're not the "appropriate chipsets", isn't the problem the same as
anything else, where, for example, if you're watching video constantly,
you'll be using display battery power, and if you're tracking with GPS
constantly, you'll be using the GPS battery power, etc.

You may as well say "get a separate video player".
You may as well say "get a separate Magellan GPS receiver".

In summary, your post was GREAT insight, where I'd simply like to ask you
for details. Does this phone have what you call the "appropriate chipset"
or not, and, even if it didn't, battery life is dependent on what you do
with the device.

To claim a separate pedometer is better defeats the point of a smartphone
(even if that statement is patently true, which I don't doubt at all).

BTW, I'll post it separately, by initial tests are being run on this:
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytracker/
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytrack er
(mainly because it's KISS and it's privacy based, or so they say).

Here is the description blurb from those pages...

What makes Privacy Friendly Pedometer different from other pedometers?

1. Minimal amount of permissions:
o Run at startup: This permission is required to restart the step counting
when your phone boots.
o prevent phone from sleeping: On some devices the processor falls asleep
and prevents counting steps. With this permission the app can keep the
processor awake while counting steps.

Most of Pedometer Apps in the Google Play Store require additional
permissions. E.g. accessing the network or Internet which is mostly used to
display advertisement. Some apps have access to GPS or telephony data.

2. No advertisement.
Many other free apps in the Google Play Store dazzle annoying advertising
and also shortens battery life.
--
Each post to Usnet should ADD technical value to the topic being discussed.
Old November 12th 19, 05:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 06:08:08 -0000 (UTC), Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:

Are those the "appropriate chipsets"?
I don't know.
What do you think?

I just ran a test, where it "seems" the LG Stylo utilities are reporting a
"discrete step sensor", but maybe someone who knows more can help interpret
the data below that Tim+ kindly brought up to share at our potluck?

Bearing in mind that the whole point of a smartphone is NOT to need a
separate accessory, a quick search shows the "step sensor detector" is
available in software inside of Android (if not in hardware):
<https://i.postimg.cc/C5KkxWY9/pedometer03.jpg

<https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/sensors_motion
o The gravity, linear acceleration, rotation vector, significant motion,
step counter, and step detector sensors are either hardware-based or
software-based.
o The accelerometer and gyroscope sensors are always hardware-based.

Use the step counter sensor
The step counter sensor provides the number of steps taken by the user
since the last reboot while the sensor was activated. The step counter has
more latency (up to 10 seconds) but more accuracy than the step detector
sensor.

Looking at my phone itself, the Sensors Multitool seems to indicate that my
$130 LG Stylo 3 Plus has a ton of sensors (whether hardware or software)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wered.sensorsmultitool

These are the "sensors" reported by that tool:
<https://i.postimg.cc/5tFPxQp8/pedometer01.jpg
o Battery
o GPS
o WiFi
o Accelerometer
o Magnetic
o Gyroscope
o Proximity
o Light
o Gravity
o Linear Acceleration
o Rotation Vector
o Step Counter
o Orientation

When I click on "Step Counter", the free tool reports:
o LGE Step Counter Sensor (0.18mA)
<https://i.postimg.cc/KYnnqPJp/pedometer02.jpg

Do these screenshots I just took for you explain what you asked?

--
Each post to Usenet should add value and details as needed.
Old November 12th 19, 05:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android

Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:
[...]

Well I can’t answer that specific point but I would just say that fitness
monitoring and step counting is a selling point for many phones. If a
phone could do it without any downside, then I think you would find an
inbuilt step counting app and not need to install a third party app to do.
The very fact that there *isn’t* an app there already suggests to me that
the manufacturers are quite aware of the battery issues of using their
accelerometers 24/7.

I think you’ll just have to conduct your own trial.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old November 12th 19, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android

On 12/11/2019 06:59, Tim+ wrote:
Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:
[...]

It does impact a little on battery life but to nothing like the same
extent as poor mobile signal. On my Moto G4 it is about 7 days between
charges if I am in a good signal area and 3 days in my usual location.
The pedometer app might take at most half a day off the working life of
the battery if you walk a lot but it's hard to tell since the phone
usage isn't uniform. Some weeks it gets hammered and others are quiet.

It currently shows as ~1% usage since last charge on my mobile phone.
Phone standby, calls and Google data services being the top users.

Martin Brown
Old November 12th 19, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 11:13:44 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

I think it's wonderful that you both shared items of useful value!
o Particularly since I had zero exposure to pedometers until yesterday.

Hence I thank Tim+ & Martin Brown for adding value to the publish shared
conversation by bringing up the point of "battery life" when it comes to
choosing & using a "pedometer" app on a smart phone, particularly with
respect to the fact that some phones have built-in step sensors, while
other phones extrapolate that data from other sensors.

During Thanksgiving, I'll have access to iPhones & Nexus 5 phones and a few
more LG Stylo 3 Plus phones that I gave away as gifts over the years...
o Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus price/performance hardware comparison
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/ls71mnkj4jk/n0FaH2e_DQAJ

It seems the Nexus 5 has "real" pedometer hardware built in:
o Your Nexus 5 Has a Real Pedometer Built InXHere's How You Use It
<https://nexus5.gadgethacks.com/how-to/your-nexus-5-has-real-pedometer-built-in-heres-you-use-0151267/
"a low-power step detector and step-counting sensor"
"The Nexus 5's pedometer runs on one of the processor's low-power cores,
and actually counts your steps."
"Utilizing a step detector sensor in addition to a step counting
sensor means the device can accomplish this task without draining
any noticeable amount of battery. The step detector uses the
accelerometer to know when a step is taken, then wakes the step
counter to initiate counting. If the step detector senses no
steps, the step counter isn't running."
"There's no built-in apps to fully harness its power."
"J4velin's app Pedometer (free on Google Play) was made exclusively
for the Nexus 5. Capable of running in the background all day with
no additional battery drain, it simply reads and displays the data
that's already being recorded by your step sensor."
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.pedometer

I hadn't realized when I first asked the question that pedometer hardware
is built into some phones, such as the Nexus 5:
<https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Google-Nexus-5_id8148
o Accelerometer
o Gyroscope
o Compass
o Barometer
o Step detector
o Step counter

Compare that Nexus 5 with the $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus specs:
<https://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Stylo-3-Plus_id10534
o Accelerometer
o Gyroscope
o Compass

That means most of this sensing must be done in softwa
<https://i.postimg.cc/KYnnqPJp/pedometer02.jpg
o Battery
o GPS
o WiFi
o Accelerometer
o Magnetic
o Gyroscope
o Proximity
o Light
o Gravity
o Linear Acceleration
o Rotation Vector
o Step Counter
o Orientation

One of the beauties of the $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus is that the battery lasts
forever, and, even so, you can easily pack a few with you since it takes
all of a few seconds to replace the battery.

In summary, in terms of hardware & battery life, there are some phones with
built-in step detectors & step counters (e.g., Nexus 5) while others
extrapolate that data (LG Stylo 3 Plus). I have access to both.

Hence, I will continue to seek the best pedometer apps with the following
first pass (it will likely change as I learn more) goodies list:
o Must be free
o Should be ad free
o Must never require a login or the Internet (for privacy)
o Must not require GPS (although it could be an option)
o Should make efficient use of the battery (if possible)
o What else?

To share, I'll post my install report for this app I'm testing:
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytracker/
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytrack er

--
When Usenet works, adults team up to combine useful nuggets of added value.
Old November 12th 19, 11:21 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 12/11/2019 00:42, Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:
Do you use a pedometer app that is free, no login, no reporting back to the
home ship, no ads (if possible), no annoying nags, etc.?

Not an app, but I have a dedicated pedometer that hangs on a chain
around my neck. 25 quid from John Lewis as I recall, I've had it a few
years now.

Old November 13th 19, 02:08 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 00:21:08 +0000, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Not an app, but I have a dedicated pedometer that hangs on a chain
around my neck. 25 quid from John Lewis as I recall, I've had it a few
years now.

Thanks for that information as we want to learn as much as we can from each
other, which is the whole point of the Usenet potluck.

It seems to me to be pretty simple of a device, which is why I feel a phone
"should" be adequate as a pedometer (all it has to do is count steps).

With the help of the others on the Usenet team, we've determined that there
are phones that have both hardware step sensors & step counters (such as
the Nexus 5) and phones that extrapolate that data (presumably from the
accelerometer, such as the LG Stylo 3 Plus):
<https://i.postimg.cc/KYnnqPJp/pedometer02.jpg

In addition, phones can extrapolate that data from simple GPS tracks, but
it was brought up by the Usenet team that this may use additional battery
resources, whereas the accelerometer-based step counters would use vastly
less power, while the hardware step counters apparently use almost nothing
by way of battery power.

Since every Usenet post should add value, here's my initial writeup to
share with the Usenet team of the installation experience as I began to
test the Android pedometers, where my APK testing approach is to (a) read
the reviews, (b) choose an app in the list, (c) install and test, (d)
reject & delete the app at the first occurrence of an annoyance, and then
(e) install the next app in the list until (f) a suitable app remains.

*FIRST TEST of free, ad free, privacy related Android pedometer apps*
o LG Stylo 3 Plus, 8 cores, 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, 64GB SD, Android 7.0
<https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/LG-Stylo-3-Plus-vs-Apple-iPhone-7-Plus

I noticed F-Droid had 3 pedometer apps, so I decided to try them first.
1. Pedometer <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/name.bagi.levente.pedometer/
2. Pedometer <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytracker/
3. Pedometer Nexus 5 <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.j4velin.pedometer/

On Windows, I downloaded that first tiny 50kb pedometer APK.
o name.bagi.levente.pedometer_6.apk
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/name.bagi.levente.pedometer/
Hoping that it would be KISS, and just be a pedometer & nothing else.

From Windows, I slid that APK to the sdcard on Android, over USB & MTP.
On an Android file manager, I clicked on the 50kb APK to install it.
It didn't ask for any permissions (good start).
I opened the app, and, voila, it seems to work.
It's settings have a sensitivity calibrator, units, body weight, sound,
step length, (and other related stuff).
It can output Steps (default 20 inch length), pace, distance, speed,
calories, derivative, etc.
Drat. It crashed. A few times. Hmmmm.... I have almost 500 apps that work.
After that first startup, it wouldn't ever start again.
Even after rebooting the phone.
I deleted the APK.

Moving to the second pedometer app on the F-Droid list, I noticed the size
is 2MB (quite a bit larger than the 50kb app that failed), and that the app
is named "privacy friendly activity tracker", which is a good start.

As before, on Windows, I downloaded the APK from F-Droid:
o org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytracker_6.apk
<https://www.f-droid.org/en/packages/org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytracker/
Although those of you with Google Accounts can apparently use Google Play:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytrack er

I slid the APK from Windows to the Android 64GB sd card.
On Android, I clicked on the 2MB Privacy Friendly APK to install it
It installed sans asking for permissions.
A welcome screen walks you thru "privacy-friendly" settings (that's nice).
Lot of settings, even down to "motivation alerts" & "training" modes.
Nice GUI upon first inspection (graphs, distances, weeks, day, months).
No crash, so that's a good start.
I kill the app. I restart. No crash.
I reboot phone & start app. No crash.
The help says they will never serve advertisements.
And that they don't require a login, or phone home, or use the GPS.

That means this app passed the initial test criteria.
Now I have to test it out as a pedometer.

Note that the Google Play advertisement says it displays ads, so maybe the
F-Droid version is different (this is sometimes the case with F-Droid being
better than Google Play for the same apps).

The good news is that this privacy friendly pedometer APK shows up in four
of the seven reviews I initially posted in the opening post:
o #3 he <https://joyofandroid.com/best-pedometer-apps-for-android/
o #4 he <https://www.androidauthority.com/best-pedometer-apps-step-counter-apps-for-android-852651/
o #5 he <https://www.maketecheasier.com/free-android-pedometer-apps/
o #6 he <https://activitytrackerapp.com/blog/top-7-free-pedometer-apps-for-android/

Since privacy is critical for any app ever to be used on a phone,
this is the "privacy disclosure" regarding "permissions"
o Overview
"This app can count your steps in background, provides you an overview
about your walked steps and allows you to define custom walking modes and
notifications if the achievement of your daily step goal is in danger" The
step counter counts your daily steps in background and can be disabled in
the settings."
o Notification, Permanent Notification
"The permanent notification is necessary to keep the step counter alive in
background. The content of the notification can be chosen in the settings.
You can disable all notifications in system preferences."
o Motivation alert
"The app can show you motivation alerts if the achievement of your daily
step goal is in danger. You can define the criterion, the time of day, and
the notification texts."
o Privacy Info
"The permissions used by Privacy Friendly Pedometer can not be managed by
the user in any Android version."
o Permission: Receive Boot Completed
"is used to start the step counter and set the notifications at boot time.
If the permission is not granted, you have to start the app manually once
after boot to activate the app."
o Permission: Wake Lock
"is used to keep the CPU awake to count the steps in background."

Since the Google Play version says it displays ads, let's hope the ads stay
away forever, which often is the case with F-Droid apps that are ALSO on
Google Play (e.g., OSMANd+ versus OSMAnd~, and FTP Server (Free), & FTP
Server, etc.)
o Together, let's clarify the difference between OSMAnd, OSMAnd+ & OSMAnd~
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/43g_mwUy964/4jjBGXfXAgAJ

o F-Droid FTP Server (Free) versus FTP Server (Demo) on Google Play:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/DT2UtsPNheg/8j7CBVVLBAAJ

More to come...
--
The beauty of Usenet is when adults purposefully share useful information.
Old November 15th 19, 07:15 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In message
Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 00:21:08 +0000, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Not an app, but I have a dedicated pedometer that hangs on a chain
around my neck. 25 quid from John Lewis as I recall, I've had it a few
years now.

Thanks for that information as we want to learn as much as we can from
each other, which is the whole point of the Usenet potluck.

It seems to me to be pretty simple of a device, which is why I feel a
phone "should" be adequate as a pedometer (all it has to do is count
steps).

Not nearly as simple as that, Arlen, because the movements and
accelerations of any part of the body where the device is worn are really
quite difficult to decode as steps. It's easy to double count them, and
it's easy to count other movements while you're standing still, e.g. if
taking part in an animated conversation. The best that has been achieved
so far with a phone is an estimate, which is often out by over 10%.

The best part of the body whose movements to decode are the ankles, but
you probabaly don't want to mount your phone there, and many people don't
like to strap dedicated step counters there in case they are mistaken for
tags fitted to petty criminals.

David