Old November 16th 19, 03:27 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Default What functionality you do on iOS you wish you could do on Android?

*What functionality you do on iOS you wish you could do on Android?*
o Specifically functionality outside the prison of the walled garden.
o Also, specifically functionality that the phone does, all by its itty
bitty self (i.e., not requiring a second computer with hundreds of
megabytes of bloatware).

We're not talking brand names, nor trademarks, nor childish games, but real
bona-fide app functionality that you can make a case for wanting to do on
iOS that you can do on iOS, that you wish you could do, on Android.

This thread is an offshoot of this post by badgolferman:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/z7HCl4tm71E/hpajJRE6BAAJ
Who (a) first showed how he performs the task on iOS, and then who
(b) asked how to obtain the same functionality on Android.

......(verbatim by badgolferman from here to the sig).....

There is one useful thing I can do with a native iOS app that I havent
found a way to do with Android. Not saying it cant be done, just that I
havent found it.

Using Safari I can send a webpage link to the Home Screen. This saves the
effort of opening Safari and navigating through all the Bookmarks to find
the one I want. By saving the hyperlink and webpage icon to the Home Page I
can merely tap on it and it will open Safari and navigate to the page in
one fell swoop. This functionality is common on Windows desktop computers
and probably other operating systems. Ive tried it on the iOS Google
Chrome web browser and a Samsung Galaxy S6 to no avail.

If you want to test it yourself:
X open Safari and navigate to a website
X tap the Send To icon on the bottom toolbar
X tap Send To Home Screen

You should find an icon on the Home Page now.

Another thing that comes to mind is if I send a hyperlink to someone via
iMessage it will include a small picture and text rather than a generic
hyperlink icon. The recipient can actually get a preview of what the
hyperlink is about before they click on it. I dont think this
functionality exists in Android but perhaps you do.

--
Usenet is where purposefully helpful adults publicly share information.

Old November 16th 19, 04:17 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Arlen Holder wrote:

What functionality you do on iOS you wish you could do on Android?

I sure wish my Android phone had a mute switch on the side like the
wife's iPhone does. Very handy. Course that's not an OS thing but
still a +1 for the iStuff side IMO...
Old November 16th 19, 04:44 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 03:27:25 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

You should find an icon on the Home Page now.

Hi badgolferman,

If I understand your request accurately...

Regarding saving a web page to a desktop shortcut on Android,
I ran this search for you just now... (where I generally use a privacy
based search engine - but I typed the URL below for others to re-use)
<https://www.google.com/search?&q=android+save+web+page+to+home+screen

That search came up with a ton of solutions, so I will only test one to ask
you if it's what you want, where I'm on my $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus, Nougat 7.

Skimming the solutions and noting I don't have ANYTHING from Google on my
Android phone other than Maps (and even then, I don't have an account and I
use offline maps most of the time), I see most of the solutions entail the
use of Chrome (which is a browser I eschew, since I only install privacy
browsers)
<https://i.postimg.cc/4yxZtXYW/webicon01.jpg

I changed the search, again, using Google for others to re-use, such that
it's clear I don't want "chrome" in the solution list:
<https://www.google.com/search?&q=-chrome+android+save+web+page+to+home+screen+-chrome

First hit is for the "Yandex Browser", which I don't have:
<https://yandex.com/support/browser-mobile-android-phone/useful-features/home-screen-site.html

Second hit is for the "Firefox Browser", which I don't have:
<https://blog.mozilla.org/theden/2012/12/13/create-a-mobile-shortcut-on-your-home-screen/

Third hit is also for the "Firefox Browser":
<https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-add-firefox-bookmarks-to-an-android-home-screen/

Fourth hit is for the "Opera Browser", which I do have:
<https://blogs.opera.com/mobile/2015/09/opera-32-add-to-home-screen/

Long pressing on the "Opera" icon in my homescreen "web" folder reveals the
version is 51.2.2461.137690 (I rarely update versions unless I specifically
need the newer releases so I have no idea what the current release is):
<https://i.postimg.cc/VvZwW2Mm/webicon02.jpg

The instructions say to "navigate to a site", so I'll go to:
<http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android

The instructions given are all wrong for my version of Opera, so I'll just
wing it, where I intuitively hit the 3 dots (hamburger) on the top right,
and then the menu item named "Home screen", and then it walked me through
the simple motions of saving the web icon to the homescreen:
<https://i.postimg.cc/C1mpw9ck/webicon03.jpg

That created a solid blue icon on my homescreen, which, when pressed,
opened up to the desired web page for comp.mobile.android:
<https://i.postimg.cc/BZ7fk9LG/webicon04.jpg

Then, since my free nova launcher on Android easily allows us to change
_any_ app icon name (yes, even the names of system apps and user installed
apps & pre-installed apps - any apps, sans root), I changed the webicon
name from its default of "comp.mobile.android Google Groups" to just
"Android".
<https://i.postimg.cc/XYdMrr2V/webicon05.jpg

Obviously it took far longer to document than to do; but I'm always
purposefully helpful to sincere adults who ask for help from me.

Since I may not have fully understood your need, please let me know if that
is what you asked for, where it seems that _each_ browser has to supply
their specific method of saving any arbitrary web page to a home screen
icon.
--
Usenet is a public potluck where everyone shares value to help others.
Old November 16th 19, 05:42 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 03:27:25 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

Another thing that comes to mind is if I send a hyperlink to someone via
iMessage it will include a small picture and text rather than a generic
hyperlink icon. The recipient can actually get a preview of what the
hyperlink is about before they click on it. I dont think this
functionality exists in Android but perhaps you do.

Hi badgolferman,

There are a LOT of bad SMS/MMS apps on Android, as I've tested, oh, I don't
know, maybe a score or more of them, a while ago (I don't remember the
exact number and if I guess, the apologists will be all over me since they
have nothing else factually to dispute, where the instant any DUT (device
under test) does something obnoxious, like display an ad, or ask for a
login, or take too long, or lacking functionality, I delete it instantly).

They only get one strike and they're out.

Here's my detailed report, last I tested free Android SMS/MMS apps
(which was the culmination of about six months of testing, where Android is
really great about ad hoc switching back and forth between default apps
like SMS/MMS apps have to be!):
o Best free SMS app for Android
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/up2NoEHr9M8/atinCKpaEAAJ

I had found a few good ones, some of which are still on my system, because
it takes nothing on Android to switch default apps (try that on iOS!), but
where I'm currently using PulseSMS:
o Pulse SMS
<https://messenger.klinkerapps.com/overview/
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.klinker.messenger

What I like?
o Free, no ads whatsoever, no nags, etc.
o Automatic MMS photo shrink to desired size
o Automatic MMS photo save to desired location
o Automatic scheduling of future messages
o Easy to create groups
o Easy viewing of unread conversations
o Private (password protected) conversations
o Archived (old) conversations
o Categories (e.g., family, friends, coworkers)
o Blacklist
o Backup to the net (I don't use it though)
o Automatic reply (I don't use that either)
o Delayed sending (if you need to cancel)
o Favorite contacts handled preferentially
o Dual-SIM support
o Send SMS & MMS from any platform any time
o Customize colors and notifications per contact
o Pin favorite contacts to the top of the list
o Both backup to the cloud, and restore
o End-to-end encryption (not stored on their server)
o Search conversations for keywords
o Mute & snooze
o Web previews
etc.

Moving on to your question, on Android, almost any app can share with
almost any other app, where, when I tried the tests below for you, even I
was astounded that I have over 40 lines at four apps per line of choices to
share the web urls and youtube URLs to, where, thank God, the apps
defaulted to the "default" application (or the last shared with), which was
a godsend, since otherwise I'd have to scroll through over 160 potential
apps to share with!
<https://i.postimg.cc/J4n9rmc9/websms04.jpg

I looked in my SMS/MMS messages, and found this YOUTUBE link I had sent
(actually, I would never use YouTube because it's a privacy sink. Instead,
I had sent it directly from NewPipe since I don't use anything from Google
on my phone that isn't needed, where NewPipe had NO PROBLEM sharing the
link with the default SMS/MMS app).
<https://i.postimg.cc/nh68S5mN/websms01.jpg

BTW, if you don't know about NewPipe, you're missing out on the greatest
app since sliced bread for YouTube Red functionality, for free, no ads, no
logins, easy downloads, whatever you want since you have complete & total
freedom to do whatever you want on the YouTube database without ever once
telling Google what you're doing!). It's one of the best privacy apps ever!
o <https://newpipe.schabi.org

HINT: It's so good, I use NewPipe on Windows with Android emulation, where,
on Windows, with the multiple CPUs, all APKs run faster than on Android!

For the web browser test, since I had the newpipe.schabi.org site already
open in the Android Opera browser, I hit the hamburger icon (3 dots) in
Android's Opera, and then selected my default SMS/MMS app, and sent it to
the default SMS/MMS app.
<https://i.postimg.cc/C5M9fVyn/websms02.jpg

Here's how the NewPipe URL & the Opera URL showed up in PulseSMS:
<https://i.postimg.cc/HnSRwPHZ/websms03.jpg

Having run that test for you, I may have not have fully understood your
requirements, but since Android can do almost anything (just like Linux),
let me know if that's _not_ what you want by simply clarifying what you
want - and I'm sure we'll find a way.

On Android, I've never yet had to give up (AFAICR) - but we'll see what
others ask for that they have on iOS that they wish they had on Android.

BTW, as always, just documenting this takes far longer than it took to do
it, which took all of a few seconds - but I wanted to document exactly what
I saw for you, since I'm always a purposefully helpful person for sincere
adults who ask reasonable questions.

--
Usenet works best when adults share ideas publicly for the benefit of all.
Old November 16th 19, 06:16 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 03:27:25 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

If you want to test it yourself:
open Safari and navigate to a website
tap the Send To icon on the bottom toolbar
tap Send To Home Screen
You should find an icon on the Home Page now.

Hi badgolferman,

Since are trying to help you do everything you do that's reasonably useful
on iOS on Android, I decided to work backward to see what is different on
iOS from Android, if anything, by following your helpful instructions.
1. I pointed Safari to http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android
2. I tapped the SendTo icon & then selected "Add To Home Screen"
3. And it showed up on the desktop, where I could no longer edit it.

Did you find that limitation on iOS when you did it?
Admittedly, I never update iOS unless they put a gun to my head
(where you know how crappy iOS releases are in terms of bugs).

In my iOS Safari, if you don't edit the resulting desktop icon exactly when
you're saving it, you're dead. You have to do it all over again because,
for some strange reason, iOS doesn't allow you to change the names of any
of the app icon labels (which Android easily allows for any app).

No big deal, but that's a strange limitation, if you find it also on iOS.

Worse, when I tried the same sequence on Firefox on iOS, there was no save
to desktop method that I could find, at least by hunting & pecking.

Same with Chrome on iOS.

While I'm well aware on iOS you likely aren't allowed the freedom to set
your default browser to anything you want, I wasn't aware that this feature
of saving an app icon is not on the other browsers (at least not on mine).

Can you test it out for us to confirm what I'm seeing is "normal" for iOS?
1. Can you test if the Safari homescreen icon is uneditable after the fact?
2. Can you test if Firefox/Chrome on your iOS can't save to the homescreen?

Thanks for the help in answering these specific iOS based questions.

--
Usenet is where adults publicly share their experiences for all to benefit.

Old November 16th 19, 10:07 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/11/2019 03:27, Arlen Holder wrote:
*What functionality you do on iOS you wish you could do on Android?*
o Specifically functionality outside the prison of the walled garden.
o Also, specifically functionality that the phone does, all by its itty
bitty self (i.e., not requiring a second computer with hundreds of
megabytes of bloatware).

We're not talking brand names, nor trademarks, nor childish games, but real
bona-fide app functionality that you can make a case for wanting to do on
iOS that you can do on iOS, that you wish you could do, on Android.

This thread is an offshoot of this post by badgolferman:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/z7HCl4tm71E/hpajJRE6BAAJ
Who (a) first showed how he performs the task on iOS, and then who
(b) asked how to obtain the same functionality on Android.

I have www.whatpub.com saved on my Android screen. Its just well down
the list..

There are actually many things I can do on Android that I wish I could
do on IOS...

.... so access the NFC reader so I could have apps that send URLs to the
iphone from NFC points.

Retain a choice in which app to open links in so I can easily switch
between chrome and safari.

The ability to search for apps once I have saved lots of short cuts to
the home screen.

On an iPad you can't see the facebook story feature without using a
browser..

Play media from my own network without having to load VLC...

mirror the screen on my TV when not watching apple TV....

Dave
Old November 16th 19, 01:04 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In article , David Wade
wrote:

There are actually many things I can do on Android that I wish I could
do on IOS...

... so access the NFC reader so I could have apps that send URLs to the
iphone from NFC points.

that's very easy, and not just for urls. but it can also do actions.

for example, i know people who use nfc tags to set up lights in their
home. they tap the phone on a tag and their lights become dim or bright
or a specific colour for mood lighting or whatever else.

i've also seen people use tags in their car to auto-launch waze or some
other navigation app.

this is well ahead of anything android can do.

Retain a choice in which app to open links in so I can easily switch
between chrome and safari.

chrome can be directly opened, although not set to the default.

The ability to search for apps once I have saved lots of short cuts to
the home screen.

trivial.

in fact, most people use search because it's much faster to launch an
app.

On an iPad you can't see the facebook story feature without using a
browser..

whatever the facebook app does or doesn't do is entirely up to
facebook, not apple.

Play media from my own network without having to load VLC...

trivial, although you'll obviously need an app to access the server,
the same on any device.

mirror the screen on my TV when not watching apple TV....

trivial.

just because you don't know how to do something doesn't mean it can't
be done.
Old November 16th 19, 02:53 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 01:44:06 -0800, sms wrote:

On 11/15/2019 8:17 PM, 123456789 wrote:
Arlen Holder wrote:

What functionality you do on iOS you wish you could do on Android?

I sure wish my Android phone had a mute switch on the side like the
wife's iPhone does. Very handy. Course that's not an OS thing but still
a +1 for the iStuff side IMO...

Agreed, the ring/silent switch is useful. True, you can silence your
phone in other ways, but the switch is more convenient.

My phone has a big fat easy-to-use hardware mute switch on the side.
<https://i.postimg.cc/L4zk2whk/mute01.jpg

Given the huge assortment of hardware choices available for Android, if you
intelligently pick a good Android phone - it should have what you want -
whether that's a big fat hardware mute switch on the side, or a removable
battery, SD slot, FM-radio, rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, integrated
stylus, headphone jack, etc., depending on what you selected for in your
Android phone.

For example, my $130 Android phone has all of that hardware, much of which,
unfortunately, is not on even the most expensive iPhone or iPad ever sold.
o Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus price/performance hardware comparison
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/ls71mnkj4jk/n0FaH2e_DQAJ

Specifically, my LG Stylo 3 Plus has a big fat hardware mute switch on the
side, which, if I understand the post you're quoting, is what the person in
the missing post asked for that you were responding to.
<https://i.postimg.cc/sDtBKTYn/mute02.jpg

Having proved that, I may not have understood the original request where
the adult readers will note that Steve Scharf apparently responded to a
well-known troll "123456789" whom I have ghosted, so I only can see what
Steve Scharf selected to quote.

Hardware is actually out of scope of the original intent of badgolferman's
request, if I understand his request correctly (I'm waiting for him to
respond, given I did a ton of work to purposefully help him).

One "game" we have to be aware of is that trolls like nospam & 123456789
will pick the absolutely worst piece of crap Android phone to compare to
their beloved iPhones, which is a game they play all the time made all the
more easy by the fact there must be literally thousands of different
Android models to cherry pick from.

When I chose my phone, I told the folks at Costco not to even think of
showing me a phone that didn't have a removable battery, and likewise with
the headphone jack and sd card. To me, any phone lacking that basic
hardware is nearly worthless to me - but that's the beauty of Android - you
can pick almost any hardware feature set you want to pick - you just have
to be intelligent about your choices.

Anyway, I'm not all that interested in doing more work for the common troll
123456789 (whose posts I don't even see), nor will I respond to the common
troll nospam (who constantly fabricates imaginary iOS functionality),
particularly on hardware issues where nospam's well-known game is to pick
the absolute worst Android phone he can possibly find (it's easy because
there are so many) to compare with his beloved iOS hardware.

Everyone _knows_ I own the LG Stylo 3 Plus, so I didn't play nospam's game.
o My phone is intelligently chosen - and it has a big fat hardware switch.

NOTE: I care about my credibility so if any of my facts are ever wrong,
please let me know as my belief system is not only based on facts, but it's
bolstered by new facts (which is why nospam's incessant fabrications irk me
so much - since his credibility is utterly worthless as a result).
--
The hard part about Usenet is dealing with people who don't care about
their credibility, such as nospam, whose credibility is utterly worthless.
Old November 16th 19, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Saturday, 16 November 2019 03:27:27 UTC, Arlen Holder wrote:
[...]

Very tempting to get into this thread on the other side, but I shall resist..

Suffice it to say that Apple users neither need to know how it works, but just pay the [larger] bill.
Old November 16th 19, 03:18 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Arlen Holder wrote:
[...]

Remember my original message was about using “native” apps. Your solutions
appear to be for apps other than “native” system apps.

Frankly I don’t really have a bone to pick in this fight and am not taking
sides. I merely mentioned a couple things in iOS “native” apps that I
didn’t think could be done with “native” Android apps. The physical Mute
switch on the iPhone is a far more superior functionality solution than
what Android offers, but I didn’t mention that earlier because I thought
you didn’t want differences in physical hardware.

The business model of Android allows more solutions for problems we don’t
even know we have. An open source operating system is superior in the
respect that it draws on the free resources of software engineers not
employed by the corporation. But at the same time because of the vast
differences in the functional use of the system after modifications it will
be more difficult to obtain support. The end user is forced to figure it
out themselves or get help from others that may or may not have the
knowledge of the overall system. In this respect iOS affords the collective
knowledge, tools and training of support staff.