Old November 30th 19, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default 3 tethering in NZ

I got a 3 sim on contract to use in NZ. It mostly works but can't get tethering to work.

I've done everything I can as suggested by customer services but still no joy. I rather suspect it isn't ever going to work. Customer services seem to think it should though (unless they're misinformed).

Any know for sure if tethering is available on a contract sim here in NZ? I'm on a "Go binge" contract and not being able to tether my phone when watching Netflix is annoying.

Tim

Old December 1st 19, 06:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tim Downie wrote:
I got a 3 sim on contract to use in NZ. It mostly works but can't get tethering to work.

I've done everything I can as suggested by customer services but still no
joy. I rather suspect it isn't ever going to work. Customer services
seem to think it should though (unless they're misinformed).

Any know for sure if tethering is available on a contract sim here in NZ?
I'm on a "Go binge" contract and not being able to tether my phone when
watching Netflix is annoying.

Tim

Is it a function of the local network perhaps. Are you able to use manual
carrier selection to choose another network?

Old December 1st 19, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 16:18:19 -0800 (PST), Tim Downie
wrote:

I got a 3 sim on contract to use in NZ. It mostly works but can't get tethering to work.

I've done everything I can as suggested by customer services but still no joy. I rather suspect it isn't ever going to work. Customer services seem to think it should though (unless they're misinformed).

Any know for sure if tethering is available on a contract sim here in NZ? I'm on a "Go binge" contract and not being able to tether my phone when watching Netflix is annoying.

According to the Three page at:

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam#faq

"Using your phone for tethering in a Go Roam Around destination is
only included if you've purchased our Data Passport. You can buy one
by visiting mobile.three.co.uk/datapassport on your phone’s browser
and following the instructions."

Could that be the problem?

Old December 1st 19, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

I got a 3 sim on contract to use in NZ. It mostly works but can't get tethering to work.

I've done everything I can as suggested by customer services but still no joy. I rather suspect it isn't ever going to work. Customer services seem to think it should though (unless they're misinformed).

Any know for sure if tethering is available on a contract sim here in NZ? I'm on a "Go binge" contract and not being able to tether my phone when watching Netflix is annoying.

According to the Three page at:

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam#faq

"Using your phone for tethering in a Go Roam Around destination is
only included if you've purchased our Data Passport. You can buy one
by visiting mobile.three.co.uk/datapassport on your phone’s browser
and following the instructions."

Could that be the problem?

Thanks. That could well be the problem. Just a shame 3 customer services never mentioned it!

Tim
Old December 10th 19, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Chris in
Makati wrote:
According to the Three page at:

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam#faq

"Using your phone for tethering in a Go Roam Around destination is
only included if you've purchased our Data Passport. You can buy one
by visiting mobile.three.co.uk/datapassport on your phone’s browser
and following the instructions."

Ah, Three and their website with its inadequate, incomplete, and
contradictory information! It is SO hard to work out what they're
trying to say, and even harder to tell whether they mean it!

They also say on:

https://3g.co.uk/guides/three-go-binge

You can even use Go Binge abroad via Go Roam (Feel At Home),
although in European destinations Go Binge will count towards
the 15GB fair usage roaming limits. In Go Roam Around The
World destinations Go Binge won't come out of your fair usage
roaming limit, but use of your data may be blocked when reach
the 12GB fair usage roaming limit.

So, as the OP has "Go Binge", Netflix ought to work, so long as it's
supported by the local carrier, at least for the first 12GB ... but who
really knows? Not Three's customer services, that's for sure!

--
Cheers,
Daniel.