Old December 3rd 19, 04:52 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Default What are your favorite F-Droid apps, and what do they do?

What are your favorite F-Droid apps, and what do they do?

I'm setting up a new Android phone where I didn't previously separate the
F-Droid from GooglePlay APKs; so I'm going through my list of F-Droid APKs
first (out of about 755 APKs on my sdcard).

Here's a starter list of what I consider the best F-Droid apps, for me.
o APK Extractor (extracts APKs from installed apps)
o Amaze File Manager (file manager)
o Audio Recorder (record audio)
o Aurora Store (privacy based Google Play scraper)
o CPU Info (CPU information)
o Call Recorder (automatically record phone calls)
o DDG (privacy search engine)
o DNS66 (hosts domain blocker, non root)
o F-Droid (app repository)
o FTP Server Free (FTP Server)
o K-9 Mail (Gmail alternative)
o KeePass DX (encrypted password manager)
o NewPipe (YouTube on steroids)
o OSM Tracker (create GPX tracks)
o OSMAnd~ (OSMAnd+ Maps & navigation)
o Orbot (proxy for the official Tor Browser)
o Packages Info (get information on installed apps)
o Pedometer (Privacy friendly graphing pedometer)
o Privacy Browser (a privacy based web browser)
o Private Location (spoof your location)
o ScreenCam (record screen)
o Simple Calculator (calculator)
o Simple Calendar (offline non-cloud calendar)
o Simple Explorer (file explorer)
o Simple Gallery Pro (photo manager)
o Simple Notes (note editor)
o Simpletask Cloudless (offline non-cloud task list)
o Sound Recorder (record audio)
o Tasks (fork of Astrid)
o Tasks (task list)
o Terminal emulator for Android (terminal emulator)
o Tor Browser (official tor browser)
o Tor Browser alpha (official Tor Browser)
o Units (unit converter)
o VLC (video & audio player)
o WiFi Reminders (SSID-based automatic reminder system)
o Yalp Store (Google Play scraper)

What are your favorite F-Droid apps, and why do you like them?

--
Usenet is a potluck where adults share items of useful interest.

Old December 3rd 19, 09:12 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

UPDATE:

I'm migrating about 450 installed apps from one phone to another:
<https://i.postimg.cc/136096sR/motog700.jpg

Where this is my well-organized new home screen at the moment:
<https://i.postimg.cc/MTX4gRKW/motog705.jpg

Note that organization by tasks nets you a menu system that is almost
exactly the same on all computers, whether they're desktops, tablets, or
mobile phones (since what you "do" on them is essentially the same).

Where the new phone has twice the storage, but I only want to keep about
half that number of apps (since the rest are the results of extensive
app-to-app testing and duplication due to various version updates):
<https://i.postimg.cc/DzTrmZwr/motog701.jpg

It's hard to separate the F-Droid apps from the Google Play APKs by just
their name, so, to clean up things, I'm manually loading the apps into the
new phone, but there are over 750 APKs to choose from as shown below:
<https://i.postimg.cc/QtNcky5V/motog702.jpg

When I'm done honing the system, I'll auto-generate a list of all the app
URLs so that others can simply click on that list to download the APKs:
<https://i.postimg.cc/MZF1VtGK/motog703.jpg

Note that the list below is still missing "todo" lists and "shopping" apps,
which I had so many on the older phone, I need to hone them manually
further.

Here's the latest list of free F-droid apps I fond useful in the past:
o APK Extractor (extracts APKs from installed apps)
o Amaze File Manager (file manager)
o AppOpsX (app permission front end)
o Arity (scientific calculator)
o Audio Recorder (record audio)
o Aurora Store (privacy based Google Play scraper)
o BARIA (app backup & restore)
o Call Recorder (automatically record phone calls)
o Community Compass (a basic compass)
o DDG (privacy search engine)
o DNS66 (hosts domain blocker, non root)
o F-Droid (app repository)
o Firefox Klar (privacy based Firefox browser)
o FTP Server Free (FTP Server)
o GPS Test (test gps satellite connections)
o GetBack GPS (find your way back to a saved location)
o Here GPS Location (simple app showing only current location)
o K-9 Mail (MUA, mail client, useful if you don't use GMail)
o MuPDF (pdf reader)
o NewPipe (YouTube on steroids)
o Open Camera (useful camera with lots of timer settings)
o Open Tracks (privacy based GPS tracker)
o Open VPN for Android (openvpn client)
o OSM Tracker (create GPX tracks)
o OSMAnd~ (OSMAnd+ Maps & navigation)
o Orbot (proxy for the official Tor Browser)
o Packages Info (get information on installed apps)
o Pedometer (Privacy friendly graphing pedometer)
o Privacy Browser (a privacy based web browser)
o Private Location (spoof your location)
o SatStat (reports sensor & location request information)
o ScreenCam (record screen)
o Sensors Sandbox (probe available sensors)
o Simple Calculator (KISS calculator)
o Simple Calendar (KISS offline non-cloud calendar)
o Simple Camera (KISS camera)
o Simple Clock (KISS clock)
o Simple Contacts (KISS contact manager)
o Simple Explorer (KISS file explorer)
o Simple Gallery Pro (KISS photo manager)
o Simple Notes (KISS note editor)
o Simpletask Cloudless (offline non-cloud task list)
o Stopwatch (stopwatch built into the notification bar)
o Skytube (Youtube clone with features like blocking)
o Sound Recorder (record audio)
o Syncthing (sync to anywhere you like)
o Tasks (fork of Astrid)
o Tasks (task list)
o Terminal emulator for Android (terminal emulator)
o Termux (terminal emulator & Linux commands)
o Tor Browser (official tor browser)
o Tor Browser alpha (official Tor Browser)
o Units (unit converter)
o VLC (video & audio player)
o Webtube (lightweight youtube clone but without proprietary calls)
o WiFiAnalyzer (com.vrem.wifianalyzer)
o WiFi Reminders (SSID-based automatic reminder system)
o Yalp Store (Google Play scraper)

I'm still honing this list, where I'll try to supply unique URLs when the
list is finally honed, based on my re-installation of backed up APKs.
<https://i.postimg.cc/MTX4gRKW/motog705.jpg

--
Usenet is a great way for people to share knowedge around the world.