Old December 9th 19, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default PayPoint problems.

On 09/12/2019 00:48, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 08/12/2019 20:41, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 13:29:02 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

<snip

I would agree with that. 3's coverage especially at 4G is decidedly
thin
in places. It looks as though if they don't think there will be much
traffic in an area they just don't upgrade.

Can't say I've seen the same. There is one spot near here that's
terrible,
but it's terrible on all networks.

I also wonder how people can be so categorical. Does everyone walk
around
with two mobile phones in different networks and constantly checks their
relative speed/coverage?

Not everyone <g, but many people talk to those who are with them,
especially when they aren't getting any service and you might be?

Or when visiting people, getting no signal, remarking on it and the
locals suggesting that what you are seeing is expected / normal on
that network or those networks / frequencies?

I would expect, that being half a mile from the centre of the third
largest city in Scotland, that I would get a reasonable signal in a
first floor flat standing next to the window. But I don't on Three. O2
is full scale pretty much everywhere in the area. Still want to know why
I switched..?

Every network has areas of low coverage and for you not using Three is
undoubtedly the right option. However, a generalisation to all areas is
somewhat unfair.

I imagine all the granite in Aberdeen isn't going to help RF signals
enter buildings.

Old December 9th 19, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/12/2019 21:21, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/8/2019 8:29 AM, Chris wrote:

I also wonder how people can be so categorical. Does everyone walk around
with two mobile phones in different networks and constantly checks their
relative speed/coverage?

I use a dual-SIM phone. The differences in coverage can be interesting,
especially when one of the SIMs is roaming.

AH, yes. Can see that being very obvious. Some of the earlier phones
were limited in what the 2nd SIM could (e.g. reduced data speeds). Is
that still the case?
Old December 9th 19, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 12/9/2019 8:22 AM, Chris wrote:
On 08/12/2019 21:21, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/8/2019 8:29 AM, Chris wrote:

I also wonder how people can be so categorical. Does everyone walk
around
with two mobile phones in different networks and constantly checks their
relative speed/coverage?

I use a dual-SIM phone. The differences in coverage can be
interesting, especially when one of the SIMs is roaming.

AH, yes. Can see that being very obvious. Some of the earlier phones
were limited in what the 2nd SIM could (e.g. reduced data speeds). Is
that still the case?

It's improving. On my first dual-SIM, the second SIM only handled 2g.
The current phone, a Nokia 6.1, does 3g on SIM 2. I believe that newer
phones are even better, but this one suits my needs.

Old December 15th 19, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 09:03:46 -0500
S Viemeister wrote:

It's improving. On my first dual-SIM, the second SIM only handled 2g.
The current phone, a Nokia 6.1, does 3g on SIM 2. I believe that
newer phones are even better, but this one suits my needs.

It depends on the RIL (radio interface layer) as to how many
simultaneous connections it can use. You'll probably find that there
are very few radios that can support dual SIM in the same band with the
same modulation schema. Most *should* be able to run the fastest
generation on either these days, as long as the other hasn't stolen the
RIL's single connection capability on the band in question.

It's very chipset dependent, with Mediatek, IME, being the worst. IIRC
the Nokia 6.1 is one of the few "Nokia"s with a Qualcomm Snapdragon set
which makes it a far better choice than the rest of the range.
--
Your grandeur passes, and your pageantry,
Your lordships pass, your kingdoms pass; and Time