Old December 6th 19, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default PayPoint problems.

Hi all,

I went to get a PAYG top-up voucher yesterday and the place
(newsagents) we normally go to had gone. ;-(

We tried a general phone shop and as seem to be the case the last 5
times we have tried there, 'their machine wasn't working'. This was
the same answer at another 5 places we tried, making me suspicious.

The 6th place said yes to be able and did dive us a £10 O2 PAYG top-up
[1] and I asked if he knew why everone else's machines were 'broken'.

He basically suggested that it *costs* him about £50/month to keep and
use the PayPoint terminal, but he does so because there is now only
him and the Post Office where people can go for such services (and
they can charge and there are often long delays etc)?

He even showed me an invoice where you could see a good few thousand
pounds worth of PP sales, his commission (just over £10) but he also
has to 'rent' the terminal at ~£25/month AND get's charged for the
money (the thousands of pounds worth of PP business) he banks?

Does this all sound reasonable?

If so, it doesn't seem very fair and if he was to charge to cover his
costs, he'd be breaking their T&C's (or some other rules) and the PP
service could be taken away from him (not that he would care, other
than for the service he likes to provide to locals and the thought
that it might increase the footfall though his shop).

If it is likely to be true we may make a point of using him for some
shopping as people like that deserve some support.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Their '3-2-1 PAYG' deal seems to be gone and I ended up with a 10
quid data bundle. I pulled all 3 O2 PAYG numbers into one online
account and over their online chat, got that changes to their straight
(and now *much* more expensive) PAYG tariff. ;-(

(I have 4 SIMs on the old 321 tariff and was looking for another to go
in a remote GSM alarm project I'm working on and have ordered an Asda
and Three PAYG SIMS hoping one might give me the low cost long time
between topups I had with O2 etc).

Old December 6th 19, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 06/12/2019 11:34, T i m wrote:
[...]

O2 have stopped allowing topups via cashpoint machines as well now.

Old December 6th 19, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Classic PAYG ended in November, see
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you...-pay-as-you-go

If you are on it you can stay on it, but no new switches to it are allowed.

They are encouraging people to take out one of the bundles.

I'm amazed there's that little income from Pay Point, I thought it would at
least cover its costs. In our family there's a caravan on token electric,
there are now only 2 places in the area who sell them - the post office, and
a shop on one of the other sites. Of the typical hours someone is at the
caravan (often 7pm Fri to 4pm Sun) - the shop is open until 10pm but much
further, the post office just Sat am. So we are trying to help both at
present! The shop however doesn't help itself with your point about bank
charges as they won't take card for pay point.

We always used to use McColl's (formerly Co-op) but they closed in the
autumn.

Incidentally co-op keep sending us member newsletters etc. even though we
have spent nothing with them since they sold up to McColl's in 2015! It's
one of the regional co-ops and there are now no others in the area - they
disposed of the whole group to McColl's.

James

Old December 6th 19, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 16:57:26 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

<snip

(I have 4 SIMs on the old 321 tariff and was looking for another to go
in a remote GSM alarm project I'm working on and have ordered an Asda
and Three PAYG SIMS hoping one might give me the low cost long time
between topups I had with O2 etc).

O2 have stopped allowing topups via cashpoint machines as well now.

I can't say I've ever topped up at a Cashpoint but now you mention it,
I think I've seen the logos indicating such.

Sometimes, if something isn't 'your thing', you can be left behind
those who do know what are doing.

eg, Maybe the reason PayPoint is on it's way out is because people
were topping up at Cashpoints ... or online, or more probably, on a
very low cost contract?

Cheers, T i m
Old December 6th 19, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 21:15:24 -0000, "James Heaton"
wrote:

<snip

(I have 4 SIMs on the old 321 tariff and was looking for another to go
in a remote GSM alarm project I'm working on and have ordered an Asda
and Three PAYG SIMS hoping one might give me the low cost long time
between topups I had with O2 etc).

Classic PAYG ended in November, see
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you...-pay-as-you-go

Yeah, so I discovered yesterday, but only after buying the £10 topup
of course (what are the chances of that tariff just ending when *I* go
to use it)? ;-(

If you are on it you can stay on it, but no new switches to it are allowed.

Understood. *Luckily* I've got the Mrs and two phones, my Mum and one
of mine on it before it was too late. ;-)

They are encouraging people to take out one of the bundles.

Yeah, they tried to with me this morning (I said no thanks).

I'm amazed there's that little income from Pay Point, I thought it would at
least cover its costs.

I think it might if you did *loads* of business though it.

In our family there's a caravan on token electric,
there are now only 2 places in the area who sell them - the post office, and
a shop on one of the other sites.

Great. ;-(

Of the typical hours someone is at the
caravan (often 7pm Fri to 4pm Sun) - the shop is open until 10pm but much
further, the post office just Sat am. So we are trying to help both at
present!

More instances of the 'use it or lose it' saying.

The shop however doesn't help itself with your point about bank
charges as they won't take card for pay point.

Maybe it's a rock < hard place thing. Pay a percentage to bank cash
or pay a percentage to take cards? ;-(

We always used to use McColl's (formerly Co-op) but they closed in the
autumn.

Along with many of their kind it seems. ;-(

Incidentally co-op keep sending us member newsletters etc. even though we
have spent nothing with them since they sold up to McColl's in 2015!

Bless.

It's
one of the regional co-ops and there are now no others in the area - they
disposed of the whole group to McColl's.

I can't say I've ever heard of, or noticed them (but I'm in Norf
Lundun).

Cheers, T i m

Old December 7th 19, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 06/12/2019 21:15, James Heaton wrote:

Classic PAYG ended in November, see
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you...-pay-as-you-go

If you are on it you can stay on it, but no new switches to it are allowed.

I'm still not sure about the disconnection if you don't top up in any
6-month period. When I spoke to CS they promised me this would not
happen, and I would only be disconnected if I didn't make a chargeable
call in that time period.

I am rather concerned as there is no way I would use £10 in 6 months and
I have two very memorable numbers on there that I have had for 15 years
and would not like to lose.

Old December 7th 19, 06:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat 07/12/2019 01:06, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 06/12/2019 21:15, James Heaton wrote:

Classic PAYG ended in November, see
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you...-pay-as-you-go

If you are on it you can stay on it, but no new switches to it are
allowed.

I'm still not sure about the disconnection if you don't top up in any
6-month period. When I spoke to CS they promised me this would not
happen, and I would only be disconnected if I didn't make a chargeable
call in that time period.

I am rather concerned as there is no way I would use £10 in 6 months and
I have two very memorable numbers on there that I have had for 15 years
and would not like to lose.

I asked the same question(ish) of O2 and the answer was that there needs
to be one chargeable event in six months be that from a call, text or
use of data OR a top-up, i.e. something that changes the balance on your
account.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 7th 19, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 07:50:10 +0000, Woody
wrote:

[...]

But when did you speak to them OOI or are you talking of the old
Classic / 321 tariff, rather than their current PAYG offering where
they state:

"If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month
period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on
your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new
mobile number."?

But I'm confused by the wording:

"Please note, this tariff will no longer be available to existing
customers wishing to switch to the tariff from 7 November 2019
onwards. If you are not already on this tariff by this date you will
not be able to switch to it."

So does that mean new customers can get that tariff, as the first half
of that statement seems to allow?

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you...-pay-as-you-go

According to 'My O2' I have been put on 'Simplicity NO ALLOWANCE' and
that was expired in 2014! ;-)

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditi...and-conditions

The other two are on 'Classic Pay As You Go'.

Cheers, T i m
Old December 7th 19, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

T i m wrote:
[...]

Just go to a supermarket. They do all top ups or do it online.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Their '3-2-1 PAYG' deal seems to be gone and I ended up with a 10
quid data bundle. I pulled all 3 O2 PAYG numbers into one online
account and over their online chat, got that changes to their straight
(and now *much* more expensive) PAYG tariff. ;-(

Move to Three. They still do 3-2-1.

Old December 7th 19, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 13:25:06 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

<snip

If so, it doesn't seem very fair and if he was to charge to cover his
costs, he'd be breaking their T&C's (or some other rules) and the PP
service could be taken away from him (not that he would care, other
than for the service he likes to provide to locals and the thought
that it might increase the footfall though his shop).

If it is likely to be true we may make a point of using him for some
shopping as people like that deserve some support.

Just go to a supermarket.

Again, I didn't know that and wouldn't have seen as I never go to the
fags and lottery booth. ;-)

They do all top ups or do it online.

Except I think it was O2 where I had to do the initial topup with a
voucher? (O2 actually put the credit on for free because we wasted a
lot of time trying online ourselves).

[1] Their '3-2-1 PAYG' deal seems to be gone and I ended up with a 10
quid data bundle. I pulled all 3 O2 PAYG numbers into one online
account and over their online chat, got that changes to their straight
(and now *much* more expensive) PAYG tariff. ;-(

Move to Three. They still do 3-2-1.

My free Three SIM came though this morning (that was fast delivery).
;-)

My next trick will be to see if I can get 02 transfer the £10 PAYG
credit I just put on the wrong tariff onto the Mrs Phone ...

Cheers, T i m