Old December 20th 19, 03:47 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS on Android 9 Pie?

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 14:24:30 GMT, Pamela wrote:

I recently formatted and reset a new Moto G7. Your experiences tell me I
was right to go with Google despite them harvesting personal data.

Hi Pamela,

That's the wrong conclusion since I _will_ resolve this minor issue.
o I had it all working just fine on the LG Stylo 3 Plus for example.

The problem "may" be that Motorola phones store the contact database in a
"different" location than do most other Android phones for some strange
reason unknown to me.

Most phones store the contact database he
o "/data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts.db"

But Motorola stores it, typically, he
o "/data/data/com.motorola.blur.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db"

Where developers access that db using the Android API of course:
<https://developer.android.com/reference/android/provider/ContactsContract.html

And where I "might" be able to access the db using "adb" from a PC:
o adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts.db c:\contacts.db

Unfortunately, I'm not rooted so I can't "see" that SQL database.
o If I were rooted, I'd be able to use these PC apps to read the contact db
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/sqliteman/
<https://sqlitebrowser.org/
Or even these Android apps:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xuecs.sqlitemanager
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.andsen.asqlitemanager
Based on these references on how to read the SQL contacts database:
<https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/41455/where-is-the-data-for-contacts-storage-located
<https://www.fonecope.com/where-are-contacts-stored-on-android.html

For those interested, here's a bit on the SQL db structu
<https://www.dev2qa.com/android-contacts-database-structure/

BTW, the SMS db is apparently in a different location:
o "/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db"
According to this reference:
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=726051

I don't like losing my personal data but the benefits Google offer is, on
balance, sufficient compensation and I can opt out of one or two things.
YMMV.

Hi Pamela,

I perfectly well understand the tradeoff between convenience & privacy.

Have you ever seen the movies about people living in apartment buildings in
New York where they have something like three or four locks on the door?

It's a pain not to leave the door wide open.
o It's far easier for most people to just leave the door ajar and unlocked.

I fully understand that which is why most people use the Google defaults.
o But those Google defaults are _rude_ to you & your friends & neighbors.

a. They upload YOUR private information to the net (& God knows what apps)
b. They upload YOUR private SSID information to the net (& apps perhaps)
c. They upload pictures of YOU and YOUR KIDS to the net (& apps perhaps)
etc.

IMHO, it's just _rude_ to leave any Android phone at the Google defaults.
o But most people, I agree, are lazy (and rude as a result).

It takes effort to lock the door instead of leaving it ajar.

Old December 20th 19, 07:53 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 01:19:35 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

All I want is:
A. My contacts to be used by the contacts, phone, & SMS apps.
B. It's ok if they use a separate database, or the same database.

UPDATE:

I found out, definitively, that Pulse SMS only uses the default Android
contacts database for its contacts (and that Pulse SMS does not have any
other method of accessing the contacts database).

Hence, there's going to be literally zero chance of me figuring out a way
to "import" the vcard file, contacts.vcf, into the Pulse SMS app.

So now the only other possible solution is to figure out why the Moto G7
Android contacts database is working for everything _except_ Pulse SMS.
o "/data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts.db"
o "/data/data/com.motorola.blur.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db"

If the Moto G7 were rooted, it would be easier, but I'm working on a way to
use adb to at least copy the Android system files over USB to Windows:
o Freeware to access your Android hosts file from Windows without being root
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/Gd0x1ga8Z0Y/kkWENmZtAgAJ

If adb won't work on the unrooted Moto G7 to copy system files over USB to
Windows, I should still be able to use libmtp to view those Android system
files over USB from Windows or Linux:
o Does freeware exist on Windows that will mount (as a drive letter) Android connected via USB as MTP?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/TaIlIMK2Nuw/OjCcwMDDBAAJ

Softwa
ADB: <https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
LibMTP: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/libmtp/

This may take a while without outside help...
Old December 21st 19, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Friday, 20 December 2019 08:53:35 UTC, Arlen Holder wrote:
[...]

Looks like you basic problem is using proprietary app's rather then the stuff already in the phone.