UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 10th 19, 12:19 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2019
Posts: 74
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS on Android 9 Pie?

Does anyone know to make these three apps use the same contacts?
o Phone
o Contacts
o SMS/MMS

Android does not seem to have a separate default for each app:
<1 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone01.jpg

1. I picked up a new Moto G7 and set it up to my liking:
<3 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone03.jpg

2. Everything works fine if I use the stock default apps.

3. However, when I choose defaults NOT the Google defaults, those 3 apps
don't talk as much to each other (yet) as they need to.
o Phone = Emerald Dialer (ru.henridellal.dialer, from F-Droid)
o Contacts = Contacts (com.simplemobiletools.contacts.prom from F-Droid)
o SMS = PulseSMS (xyz.klinker.messenger, from Aurora Store)

4. To be clear, all the number dialers work just fine to dial numbers:
<4 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone04.jpg

5. But only the "contacts" app seems to access the contacts list:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

5. Neither the SMS app nor the phone app accesses the contact list!
<5 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone05.jpg

Given the "contacts" app forces me to set it as the default "phone" app:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

Note: You can set the default "SMS" & "Phone" app (which seems to be the
"Contacts" app, but you can't seem to set a separate "Contacts" app.

Is there a good explanation of how to make the three apps work off the same
contacts (separately is fine)?

What I don't want is:
a. I don't want ANYTHING on the cloud!
b. I think it's unfair (to the contacts!) to put contacts on the cloud.

All I want is:
A. My contacts to be used by the contacts, phone, & SMS apps.
B. It's ok if they use a separate database, or the same database.

Have you gotten non-Google apps to work together for sms, phone, & contact?
How?
--
Usenet allows people to find others with solutions to the same issues.

  #2   Report Post  
Old December 10th 19, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 373
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS onAndroid 9 Pie?

On Tuesday, 10 December 2019 01:19:37 UTC, Arlen Holder wrote:
Does anyone know to make these three apps use the same contacts?
o Phone
o Contacts
o SMS/MMS

Android does not seem to have a separate default for each app:
<1 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone01.jpg

1. I picked up a new Moto G7 and set it up to my liking:
<3 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone03.jpg

2. Everything works fine if I use the stock default apps.

3. However, when I choose defaults NOT the Google defaults, those 3 apps
don't talk as much to each other (yet) as they need to.
o Phone = Emerald Dialer (ru.henridellal.dialer, from F-Droid)
o Contacts = Contacts (com.simplemobiletools.contacts.prom from F-Droid)
o SMS = PulseSMS (xyz.klinker.messenger, from Aurora Store)

4. To be clear, all the number dialers work just fine to dial numbers:
<4 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone04.jpg

5. But only the "contacts" app seems to access the contacts list:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

5. Neither the SMS app nor the phone app accesses the contact list!
<5 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone05.jpg

Given the "contacts" app forces me to set it as the default "phone" app:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

Note: You can set the default "SMS" & "Phone" app (which seems to be the
"Contacts" app, but you can't seem to set a separate "Contacts" app.

Is there a good explanation of how to make the three apps work off the same
contacts (separately is fine)?

What I don't want is:
a. I don't want ANYTHING on the cloud!
b. I think it's unfair (to the contacts!) to put contacts on the cloud.

All I want is:
A. My contacts to be used by the contacts, phone, & SMS apps.
B. It's ok if they use a separate database, or the same database.

Have you gotten non-Google apps to work together for sms, phone, & contact?
How?
--
Usenet allows people to find others with solutions to the same issues.


I don't have this problem. I store contacts in the phone from phone/messages/contact app' and they appear in the others in what is obviously a shared list. The only wrinkle I find is that the message app sorts the contacts by first name and the others by surname.

The phone backs up automatically overnight.
  #3   Report Post  
Old December 10th 19, 01:46 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS onAndroid 9 Pie?

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 01:19:35 +0000, Arlen Holder wrote:

Does anyone know to make these three apps use the same contacts?
o Phone o Contacts o SMS/MMS

Android does not seem to have a separate default for each app:
<1 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone01.jpg

1. I picked up a new Moto G7 and set it up to my liking:
<3 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone03.jpg

2. Everything works fine if I use the stock default apps.

3. However, when I choose defaults NOT the Google defaults, those 3 apps
don't talk as much to each other (yet) as they need to.
o Phone = Emerald Dialer (ru.henridellal.dialer, from F-Droid)
o Contacts = Contacts (com.simplemobiletools.contacts.prom from F-Droid)
o SMS = PulseSMS (xyz.klinker.messenger, from Aurora Store)

4. To be clear, all the number dialers work just fine to dial numbers:
<4 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone04.jpg

5. But only the "contacts" app seems to access the contacts list:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

5. Neither the SMS app nor the phone app accesses the contact list!
<5 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone05.jpg

Given the "contacts" app forces me to set it as the default "phone" app:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

Note: You can set the default "SMS" & "Phone" app (which seems to be the
"Contacts" app, but you can't seem to set a separate "Contacts" app.

Is there a good explanation of how to make the three apps work off the
same contacts (separately is fine)?

What I don't want is:
a. I don't want ANYTHING on the cloud!
b. I think it's unfair (to the contacts!) to put contacts on the cloud.

All I want is:
A. My contacts to be used by the contacts, phone, & SMS apps.
B. It's ok if they use a separate database, or the same database.

Have you gotten non-Google apps to work together for sms, phone, &
contact?
How?


It's up to those specific apps to request access to the contacts.
Then it's up to you to approve said access when the popup appears.
Go into app manager and check the perms for those apps to make sure
you didn't accidentally deny access. And/or go into permissions-Contacts
and see if your apps are listed as wanting access and if it's on or off.

I use the stock dialer, but a 3rd party SMS and gave it perms for
contacts when asked.
  #4   Report Post  
Old December 10th 19, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 520
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS on Android 9 Pie?

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 04:29:00 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Tuesday, 10 December 2019 01:19:37 UTC, Arlen Holder wrote:
Does anyone know to make these three apps use the same contacts?
o Phone
o Contacts
o SMS/MMS

Android does not seem to have a separate default for each app:
<1 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone01.jpg

1. I picked up a new Moto G7 and set it up to my liking:
<3 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone03.jpg

2. Everything works fine if I use the stock default apps.

3. However, when I choose defaults NOT the Google defaults, those 3 apps
don't talk as much to each other (yet) as they need to.
o Phone = Emerald Dialer (ru.henridellal.dialer, from F-Droid)
o Contacts = Contacts (com.simplemobiletools.contacts.prom from F-Droid)
o SMS = PulseSMS (xyz.klinker.messenger, from Aurora Store)

4. To be clear, all the number dialers work just fine to dial numbers:
<4 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone04.jpg

5. But only the "contacts" app seems to access the contacts list:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

5. Neither the SMS app nor the phone app accesses the contact list!
<5 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone05.jpg

Given the "contacts" app forces me to set it as the default "phone" app:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

Note: You can set the default "SMS" & "Phone" app (which seems to be the
"Contacts" app, but you can't seem to set a separate "Contacts" app.

Is there a good explanation of how to make the three apps work off the same
contacts (separately is fine)?

What I don't want is:
a. I don't want ANYTHING on the cloud!
b. I think it's unfair (to the contacts!) to put contacts on the cloud.

All I want is:
A. My contacts to be used by the contacts, phone, & SMS apps.
B. It's ok if they use a separate database, or the same database.

Have you gotten non-Google apps to work together for sms, phone, & contact?
How?
--
Usenet allows people to find others with solutions to the same issues.


I don't have this problem. I store contacts in the phone from phone/messages/contact app' and they appear in the others in what is obviously a shared list. The only wrinkle I find is that the message app sorts the contacts by first name and the others by surname.

The phone backs up automatically overnight.


Mine automatically identifies all standard phone numbers and presents
the name but no longer identifies five digit text numbers, which are
presented just as the number.
  #5   Report Post  
Old December 10th 19, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 373
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS onAndroid 9 Pie?

On Tuesday, 10 December 2019 12:29:02 UTC, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 December 2019 01:19:37 UTC, Arlen Holder wrote:
Does anyone know to make these three apps use the same contacts?
o Phone
o Contacts
o SMS/MMS

Android does not seem to have a separate default for each app:
<1 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone01.jpg

1. I picked up a new Moto G7 and set it up to my liking:
<3 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone03.jpg

2. Everything works fine if I use the stock default apps.

3. However, when I choose defaults NOT the Google defaults, those 3 apps
don't talk as much to each other (yet) as they need to.
o Phone = Emerald Dialer (ru.henridellal.dialer, from F-Droid)
o Contacts = Contacts (com.simplemobiletools.contacts.prom from F-Droid)
o SMS = PulseSMS (xyz.klinker.messenger, from Aurora Store)

4. To be clear, all the number dialers work just fine to dial numbers:
<4 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone04.jpg

5. But only the "contacts" app seems to access the contacts list:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

5. Neither the SMS app nor the phone app accesses the contact list!
<5 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone05.jpg

Given the "contacts" app forces me to set it as the default "phone" app:
<2 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone02.jpg

Note: You can set the default "SMS" & "Phone" app (which seems to be the
"Contacts" app, but you can't seem to set a separate "Contacts" app.

Is there a good explanation of how to make the three apps work off the same
contacts (separately is fine)?

What I don't want is:
a. I don't want ANYTHING on the cloud!
b. I think it's unfair (to the contacts!) to put contacts on the cloud.

All I want is:
A. My contacts to be used by the contacts, phone, & SMS apps.
B. It's ok if they use a separate database, or the same database.

Have you gotten non-Google apps to work together for sms, phone, & contact?
How?
--
Usenet allows people to find others with solutions to the same issues.


I don't have this problem. I store contacts in the phone from phone/messages/contact app' and they appear in the others in what is obviously a shared list. The only wrinkle I find is that the message app sorts the contacts by first name and the others by surname.

The phone backs up automatically overnight.


I forgot to mention, it also shares the phonebook with my VOIP app'


  #6   Report Post  
Old December 11th 19, 02:41 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2019
Posts: 74
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS on Android 9 Pie?

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 14:46:52 -0000 (UTC), Joe Beanfish wrote:

It's up to those specific apps to request access to the contacts.
Then it's up to you to approve said access when the popup appears.
Go into app manager and check the perms for those apps to make sure
you didn't accidentally deny access. And/or go into permissions-Contacts
and see if your apps are listed as wanting access and if it's on or off.


It's an enigma how the dialer/contacts & SMS/MMS access contact names.

What's confusing is how it works when you ditch the default dialer (which I
ditched mainly because it appears to be a Google dialer), in favor of:
o Dialer (Emerald Dialer, ru.henridellal.dialer)
o Contacts (Contacts, com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro)
o SMS/MMS (PulseSMS, xyz.klinker.messenger)

Oddly, you only get two related defaults, not three defaults:
o Default #1: Contacts & Dialer (they must be the same app!)
o Default #2: SMS/MMS (this can be a different app)
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone06761.jpg

I think the root of the problem is that you apparently get no choice for
default "dialer" or "contacts"; apparently BOTH must be one & the same!
1. Your dialer & contact app MUST be the same DEFAULT (you have no choice!)
2. Your SMS/MMS app can be a different default.
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone05.jpg

Yet you can set contact/dialer/sms permissions separately:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone07.jpg

Something is strange here because all three apps have access to "Contacts",
but only the Contacts app is actually finding them when I search by name.
  #7   Report Post  
Old December 11th 19, 08:54 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2019
Posts: 74
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS on Android 9 Pie?

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 03:41:05 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

It's an enigma how the dialer/contacts & SMS/MMS access contact names.


SOLVED:
I figured some of this magic out; but it is NOT intuitive!
(Warning: The information below will be a bit confusing since what's really
happening is that there is some "Android magic" going on with "contacts").

In short, once you populate the Google default Android contacts/dialer app
with your contacts (either from a local contacts.vcf file, or from the
cloud) then EVERYTHING ELSE is automatically populated!

But, if you don't use the Google default contacts/dialer, then you have to
figure out how to populate the replacement apps from contacts.vcf, where
it's NOT intuitive how to do that (but it's easy, once you figure it out).

NOTE: Most of you don't see this problem simply because you likely blindly
auto-populate your Google default contacts/dialer from the cloud, but I do
not (e.g., this is a bogus Gmail account, for example, and I never store
other people's contacts on the cloud, because I consider that to be rude).

Given I didn't blindly auto-populate the default Google contacts/dialer
from the cloud, one "issue" is that the default Google dialer/contacts app
does NOT have an "import" contacts.vcf option, so you have to figure out
how to import contacts.vcf into even the default Google dialer/contacts app
(see below).

If you don't populate the Google Android contacts/dialer app with your
contacts, then you have to figure out how to populate everything else on
your own, where the method of populating each of the apps is NOT intuitive
because it's not the same for every third party contacts/dialer app:
o Some have a menu to directly import contacts.vcf (but most do not!)
o Some allow a longpress on contacts.vcf in a file manager to "open as"
o Some allow a longpress on contacts.vcf in a file manager to "open with"
o Some allow a shorttap on contacts.cvf in a file manager to "use a different app"

You'd think there are 3 "types" of apps, but this would be partially wrong:
o dialers
o contacts
o SMS/MMS

In reality, these are (at least) these four types of apps:
o dialers
o contacts
o contacts/dialer combination apps
o sms/mms texting apps

The rare dialer-only apps (e.g., the Emerald Dialer) would not populate
contacts no matter what method I tried; hence, I deleted this app (and I do
not recommend pure dialer-only apps since they don't seem to be able to
import contacts.vcf by any known method that I could find).

So the first thing I had to do was give up on the pure dialer apps, since
they suffered from two killer faults:
o They couldn't be populated with contacts.vcf, and,
o Even so, Android would never let me set them as the default dialer.

Android would only allow the combination contacts/dialers to be set as the
default dialer.

That leaves only two types of apps left that Android will set defaults to:
o contacts/dialer combination apps
o sms/mms texting apps

I tested these combination contacts/dialers on my new $100 Moto G7:
o Phone "com.google.android.dialer" (round, blue bg, white handset)
o Contacts "com.google.android.contacts" (blue bg, white person, round)
o Contacts "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro" (orange bg, white person, round)
o OpenContacts "opencontacts.open.com.opencontacts" (white bg, blue handset, square)
o Dialer "com.simpler.dialer" (blue bg, white handset, round)
o Call "com.i45.launchdialer" (green bg, white handset, square)

Also note these hidden apps which, I suspect, contain the contacts imported
into "com.google.android.contacts" and which manage calls & logs overall:
o Phone and Messaging "com.android.providers.telephony" (round, greenish, white handset)
o Contacts Storage "com.android.providers.contacts" (round, bluish bg, white person)
o Call Management "com.android.server.telecom" (square, white bg, blue handset)
o Call Log Backup/Restore "com.android.calllogbackup" (hourglass, blue bg, white person)

These are the non-intuitive ways to import contacts.vcf into the
contacts/dialer apps listed above:

METHOD 1:
Rarely does the contact/dialer simply have an option to "import contacts"
files; where the only contacts/dialer that did was:
o Contacts "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro"

Also, the Google default Contacts app "com.google.android.contacts",
had an import contacts.vcf option.

Obviously this is the preferred method, but no other apps had a menu item
to simply "import contacts.vcf" like these two apps did.

METHOD 2: (I used the com.simplemobiletools.filemanager.pro file manager.)
o Long press contacts.vcf in a file manager & then use "open with"
The 3 available options we
o Import contacts (i.e., "com.google.android.contacts")
o Contacts (i.e., "com.google.android.contacts")
o Contacts (i.e., "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro")

METHOD 3:
o Long press contacts.vcf in a file manager & then use "open as"
o Then select "Other file"
The 6 available options a [Just Once][Always]
o Phone (i.e., "com.google.android.dialer")
o Simpler Dialer (i.e., com.simpler.dialer)
o Import contacts (i.e., "com.google.android.contacts")
o Contacts (i.e., "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro")
o Details (i.e., "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro")
o Contacts (i.e., "com.google.android.contacts")

METHOD 4:
o Short tap contacts.vcf in a file manager & then "open with"
o Import contacts (i.e., "com.google.android.contacts")
o Contacts (i.e., "com.google.android.contacts")
o Contacts (i.e., "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro")

In summary, most of you don't see this problem because:
a. Once you load Google contacts, everything else accesses them
b. I don't blindly load Google contacts from the cloud
c. I load my contacts manually, from a local contacts.vcf file

If I loaded the contacts.vcf into the default Google Contacts app (i.e.,
"com.google.android.contacts"), then everything else easily saw the
contacts (including PulseSMS).

If I didn't load the contacts.vcf into the default Google Contacts app,
then I had to manually load the contacts.vcf (by one of four methods above)
into the desired contacts/dialer app.

In the end, while I couldn't unintall the default Google apps, I
uninstalled everything except these apps, which will be my main apps:
o Contacts (i.e., "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro")
o OpenContacts (i.e., "opencontacts.open.com.opencontacts")
o PulseSMS (i.e., "xyz.klinker.messenger")

Note there is no need for a dialer, as far as I can tell, simply because
both "Contacts" and "OpenContacts" contain a dialer, where I'll test out
the two apps to see which is best.

Generally I like Simple Mobile Tools, but what I like about the "Open
Contacts" app is that it contains a call log (which the Simple Mobile Tools
doesn't contain), so Open Contacts better replaces the default Google
"Phone" app.

Unfortunately, you can't have both "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro" and
"opencontacts.open.com.opencontacts" be the default, so one or the other
must be the default for the contacts/dialer app.

One nice thing about "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro" is it exports to
any file name and any file location, while one nice thing about
"opencontacts.open.com.opencontacts" is that it contains a call log just
like the default Phone application does.

Whew! It's all working quite nicely now. Thanks!

--
Usenet is great to share questions & answers with other helpful adults.
  #8   Report Post  
Old December 11th 19, 03:24 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2019
Posts: 74
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS on Android 9 Pie?

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 09:54:04 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

In short, once you populate the Google default Android contacts/dialer app
with your contacts (either from a local contacts.vcf file, or from the
cloud) then EVERYTHING ELSE is automatically populated!

But, if you don't use the Google default contacts/dialer, then you have to
figure out how to populate the replacement apps from contacts.vcf, where
it's NOT intuitive how to do that (but it's easy, once you figure it out).


UPDATE:

I _thought_ I resolved all the problems by "importing" the offline local
contacts.vcf file into both the Simple Mobile Tools contacts/dialer and
into the Open Contacts contacts/dialer; but PulseSMS doesn't access them:
o Contacts (i.e., "com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro")
o OpenContacts (i.e., "opencontacts.open.com.opencontacts")
o PulseSMS (i.e., "xyz.klinker.messenger")

I _thought_ PulseSMS worked because at one point, I had imported the local
offline contacts.vcf file into both the contacts/dialers above and into the
Google Contacts app (com.google.android.contacts); but upon deletion of the
apps (to start fresh) and then a reboot and re-install of the apps from
scratch, PulseSMS won't import the local offline contacts.vcf file.

There's still some "magic" left to decipher, because I've been using
PulseSMS for quite some time (and for weeks on this phone), where it
certainly accesses the Google contacts on the phone.

I should clarify that the reason almost none of you would have this problem
is that you do a few things differently, by default, than I do:
1. You likely allow Google to own your contacts (usually off the cloud)
(But I feel it's rude to put other people's contact information there.)

2. You likely use the Google default contacts app (& dialer).
(But I'm trying to avoid anything Google on the phone, if I can.)

3. You perhaps use "Messages" (com.google.android.apps.messaging).
(But I've found PulseSMS to be the best free ad-free SMS app.)

In summary, I solved half the problem, which is that there are four
different ways (not all of which work in any given app) to populate the
contacts/dialer apps with contacts from an offline local contacts.vcf vcard
file; but the other half of the problem is that the chosen dialer,
PulseSMS, does not seem to respond to any of those four methods:

METHOD 1:
o The app has an option to "import contacts" using a local vcard file.
METHOD 2:
o Longpress on the VCARAD file in a file manager & then use "open with"
METHOD 3:
o Longpress on the VCARAD file in a file manager & then use "open as"
METHOD 4:
o Shorttap on the VCARAD file in a file manager & then use "open with"

The only problem left is that PulseSMS won't populate from any of those 4
options which worked on Google "Contacts" and on the two contact/dialer
apps.

The question now is how to populate PulseSMS from a local offline vcf file?

--
Usenet is great to share questions & answers with other helpful adults.
  #9   Report Post  
Old December 12th 19, 06:17 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2019
Posts: 74
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS on Android 9 Pie?

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 16:24:13 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

The question now is how to populate PulseSMS from a local offline vcf file?


I'm still trying to figure out HOW to feed PulseSMS a VCARD file.

Just to be complete, I've turned off any syncing to the cloud
where it's not obvious, at first, how to _find_ this app
since this app is a "hidden app" that you have to know to look for.
o Google Contacts Sync (com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts)
Permissions No permissions granted

This app does _not_ show up in the "app drawer"; so I found it using
o apps_Packages Info (com.oF2pks.applicationsinfo)
Which allows me to long press hamburger View in Settings
That trick enables me to press "Permissions" for such "hidden apps".

Of course, I wiped out the Google Account on the phone:
Settings Accounts (delete every account)
(I can still get email & apps from 3rd-party Google site scrapers.)

Given I don't want _anything_ stored on the cloud, I also changed:
Settings Accounts Automatically sync data = off

To be doubly sure nothing ever syncs to the cloud, I also disabled
these Google apps, which _do_ show up in the app drawer apps:
Settings Apps & notifications
o Google Permissions No permissions granted
o GMail Permissions No permissions granted
o Google Fi Permissions No permissions granted
o Google News Permissions No permissions granted
o Google Play Movies & TV Permissions No permissions granted
o Google Play Music Permissions No permissions granted
o Google Play Store Permissions No permissions granted
o [Google] Chrome Permissions No permissions granted
o [Google] Drive Permissions No permissions granted
o [Google] Files Permissions No permissions granted
o [Google] Lens Permissions No permissions granted
o [Google] Messages Permissions No permissions granted
o [Google] YouTube Permissions No permissions granted
etc.

I had to leave the following alone (for now):
[Google] Phone Permissions (Call logs, Contacts, Microphone, Phone, SMS, Storage)
o [Google] Connectivity Services Permissions Location
o [Google] Maps Permissions (Location, Microphone, Storage)
o [Google] Photos Permissions (Storage)
o Gcam APK port Permissions (Camera, Location, Microphone, Storage)

Temporarily, I have these set (as I debug PulseSMS):
o Google Contacts Permissions (Contacts, Phone, Storage)
o Pulse Permissions (Camera, Contacts, Microphone, Phone, SMS, Storage)

The main goal now is to figure out HOW the PulseSMS app is "supposed" to
obtain its contacts when the device owner doesn't use Google Contacts.
--
Android can be made to not use the cloud; but you have to know how.
  #10   Report Post  
Old December 17th 19, 01:24 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Default Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS on Android 9 Pie?

On 19:17 12 Dec 2019, Arlen Holder
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 16:24:13 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

[...]


I'm still trying to figure out HOW to feed PulseSMS a VCARD file.

Just to be complete, I've turned off any syncing to the cloud where it's
not obvious, at first, how to _find_ this app since this app is a
"hidden app" that you have to know to look for. o Google Contacts Sync
(com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts)
Permissions No permissions granted

This app does _not_ show up in the "app drawer"; so I found it using o
apps_Packages Info (com.oF2pks.applicationsinfo) Which allows me to long
press hamburger View in Settings That trick enables me to press
"Permissions" for such "hidden apps".

Of course, I wiped out the Google Account on the phone:
Settings Accounts (delete every account)
(I can still get email & apps from 3rd-party Google site scrapers.)

Given I don't want _anything_ stored on the cloud, I also changed:
Settings Accounts Automatically sync data = off

To be doubly sure nothing ever syncs to the cloud, I also disabled these
Google apps, which _do_ show up in the app drawer apps:
Settings Apps & notifications
o Google Permissions No permissions granted o GMail Permissions
No permissions granted o Google Fi Permissions No permissions
granted o Google News Permissions No permissions granted o Google
Play Movies & TV Permissions No permissions granted o Google Play
Music Permissions No permissions granted o Google Play Store
Permissions No permissions granted o [Google] Chrome Permissions
No permissions granted o [Google] Drive Permissions No permissions
granted o [Google] Files Permissions No permissions granted o
[Google] Lens Permissions No permissions granted o [Google] Messages
Permissions No permissions granted o [Google] YouTube Permissions
No permissions granted etc.


I had to leave the following alone (for now): [Google] Phone
Permissions (Call logs, Contacts, Microphone, Phone, SMS, Storage) o
[Google] Connectivity Services Permissions Location o [Google] Maps
Permissions (Location, Microphone, Storage) o [Google] Photos

Permissions (Storage) o Gcam APK port Permissions (Camera,
Location, Microphone, Storage)

Temporarily, I have these set (as I debug PulseSMS): o Google Contacts
Permissions (Contacts, Phone, Storage) o Pulse Permissions
(Camera, Contacts, Microphone, Phone, SMS, Storage)

The main goal now is to figure out HOW the PulseSMS app is "supposed" to
obtain its contacts when the device owner doesn't use Google Contacts.


I recently formatted and reset a new Moto G7. Your experiences tell me I
was right to go with Google despite them harvesting personal data.

I don't like losing my personal data but the benefits Google offer is, on
balance, sufficient compensation and I can opt out of one or two things.
YMMV.


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three SMTP issues, does anyone know of another smtp server? Ray[_5_] UK Mobile Phones 18 April 12th 10 06:10 PM
MDA Pro very slow reading database SQLite, displaying PIE [email protected] UK Mobile Phones 0 November 29th 05 07:15 AM
Does anyone know? Shane Milward UK Mobile Phones 4 October 5th 05 11:54 AM
Does anyone know more about this.... SteveH UK Mobile Phones 4 December 7th 03 02:04 PM
Does anyone know how to fix this bug? Bill Bennett UK Mobile Phones 4 September 15th 03 10:55 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017