Old December 10th 19, 12:19 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Default When setting up a new phone for a Google Account K-9 mail you have to allow "less secure apps" from a computer (AFAIK); but what else?

When setting up a new phone for a Google Account K-9 mail you have to allow
"less secure apps" from a computer (AFAIK); but what else?

This is the error I repeatedly get from K-9 Mail on Android:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone00b.jpg

All I know is what seems to have happened, so I simply document this, and
then ask others if they can help flesh out more about this issue, so that
others have an easier time setting up a Google Account to NOT use the
Google Gmail app (but to use the K-9 email app on Android instead):
<0 http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone00.jpg
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone00a.jpg

On the phone:
1. I obtained a new Moto G7 phone.
2. I allowed it to create a new Google Account during setup.
3. I used that Google Account to help populate some apps not on F-Droid.
4. Then I deleted the Google Account from the phone.
5. NOTE: I learned from past experience NOT to touch the GMail app [1]
6. So I tried the F-Droid "K-9" mail app, which would NOT log in.
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone00b.jpg

On the desktop:
7. I logged in fine from a desktop computer to the new Google Account.
8. Clicking on the security warning email said:
"Critical security alert"
"Sign-in attempt was blocked"
"Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account
from a non-Google app. Google blocked them, but you should check
what happened. Review your account activity to make sure no one
else has access." [Check Activity]
9. [Check Activity]
"Less secure app blocked"
"Google blocked the app you were trying to use because it doesn't
meet our security standards. Some apps and devices use less secure
sign-in technology, which makes your account more vulnerable.
You can turn off access for these apps, which we recommend,
or turn on access if you want to use them despite the risks.
Google will automatically turn this setting OFF if it's not being used."
10. <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255
"Less secure apps & your Google Account"
"If an app or site doesn˘t meet our security standards,
Google might block anyone who˘s trying to sign in to your account
from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in
to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep
your account safe."

Once you allow less secure apps, and confirm with the desktop Google signin
that, yes, you allowed it, then, supposedly you can log in from the phone
with K-9; but my K-9 still failed to make the connection with:
"Checking incoming server settings"
"Setup did not finish"
"Username or password incorrect"

Has this happened to you?
How did you get around it?

<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone00b.jpg

--
[1] No matter what you have as settings, the Gmail app will "sync" stuff to
"the cloud" that you likely do NOT want synced (AFICT); AFAIK, you can't

Old December 10th 19, 01:41 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Arlen Holder wrote:

This is the error I repeatedly get from K-9 Mail on
Android:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone00b.jpg

As I recall K-9 requires a one time password (different from
your Google password) that can be obtained under accounts
security app passwords. I used K-9 with Gmail for quite
awhile but awhile back it stopped updating the Gmail server
when I deleted emails. I had to go to the browser to delete
them. Very annoying so gave up the app. Perhaps things are
better now. Good luck...
Old December 10th 19, 03:09 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 12/9/2019 5:19 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
[...]

I never had any such problems.

It did take me quite a while to figure out that I had to start account
names with the form " to get it to
properly sync in the emails with my pop3 gmail accounts.
Old December 10th 19, 08:13 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

123456789 writes:

Arlen Holder wrote:

This is the error I repeatedly get from K-9 Mail on Android:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone00b.jpg

As I recall K-9 requires a one time password (different from
your Google password) that can be obtained under accounts
security app passwords.

App password isn't one time though. It's a password that let's an app
have limited access to a Google account, like email.

In addition, for Arlen, if this is a new account, I think you still need
to manually enable pop and/or imap access from Gmail settings.

I used K-9 with Gmail for quite awhile but awhile back it stopped
updating the Gmail server when I deleted emails. I had to go to the
browser to delete them. Very annoying so gave up the app. Perhaps
things are better now. Good luck...

There seem to be some settings related to this also in Gmail settings,
maybe they're relevant. I haven't used K-9 in years though.

Old December 11th 19, 02:40 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Anssi Saari wrote:
123456789 wrote:

K-9 requires a one time password (different from your
Google password) that can be obtained under accounts
security app passwords.

App password isn't one time though. It's a password that
let's an app have limited access to a Google account,
like email.

To clarify I meant it's a one time password in that after
its one use in setting up K-9 it is no longer needed and can
be discarded by the user.

You are correct that the password is used continuously with
Gmail in the background until you delete K-9 and/or cancel
the device in app passwords.

I think you still need to manually enable pop and/or
imap access from Gmail settings.

Correct.

Gmail Gear Icon Forwarding and POP/IMAP for any others
interested...

I haven't used K-9 in years though.

One of the main things I liked about K-9 was the ability to
display 6 lines of content without opening the email. I am
on an email list of 5000+ homes and sometimes it
generates more than a hundred emails a day. It was nice to
be able to quickly scroll through them to see if I was
interested in any...

Old December 16th 19, 12:48 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

123456789 writes:

One of the main things I liked about K-9 was the ability to
display 6 lines of content without opening the email. I am
on an email list of 5000+ homes and sometimes it
generates more than a hundred emails a day. It was nice to
be able to quickly scroll through them to see if I was
interested in any...

I may have to reconsider K-9 after all. I've been using TypeApp for a
while since it does Exchange + imap but got so tired of the limited
Exchange support that went with Nine which is brilliant for
Exchange. The extremely limited content preview is annoying on both of
those, it's just one line of content and that's often just repeating the
subject line.

Still, the Nine dev seemed open to improving his app. If he comes
through with my other request there might be hope for a single email app
again.
Old December 17th 19, 04:23 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 01:19:36 +0000, Arlen Holder wrote:

<snip

Once you allow less secure apps, and confirm with the desktop Google
signin that, yes, you allowed it, then, supposedly you can log in from
the phone with K-9; but my K-9 still failed to make the connection with:
"Checking incoming server settings"
"Setup did not finish"
"Username or password incorrect"

Has this happened to you?
How did you get around it?

<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_phone00b.jpg

Are you using the very latest version of K9 Mail?

A while back the account setup with Google changed and you had an
additional dialogue where you had to use your Gmail password to confirm
that you really did want to connect to Gmail.

Older versions of the software didn't support this dialogue, but the
latest (and this is months back) did support the new way of doing things.

Cheers

Dave R

Old December 18th 19, 12:59 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/12/2019 02.19, Arlen Holder wrote:
When setting up a new phone for a Google Account K-9 mail you have to allow
"less secure apps" from a computer (AFAIK); but what else?

Notice that Google is phasing these apps out. Those customers using "G
Suite" (commercial customers) will no longer be able to use "less secure
apps" by June 2020.

<https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2019/12/less-secure-apps-oauth-google-username-password-incorrect.html

For now, it is only G Suite users. Maybe they will go for "plain users"
later.

--
Cheers, Carlos.