Old December 17th 19, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default New idea from OfCom

I see today that OfCom are intending to make it an offence to supply
mobile phones that are locked to a network. Specifically this means
BT/EE, Tesco Mobile, and VF.

Strangely however I don't think that is correct unless they mean only
PAYG phones. In my limited experience of VF years ago their PAYG were
locked but their contract phones were not. EE will unlock a PAYG f.o.c
if requested at the time of purchase.

If enacted I wonder what effect it will have on purchase prices? It
baffles me that the price of an unlocked PAYG phone is so much cheaper
that the SIM-free identical phone. Agreed you have to load the new PAYG
with a tenner to buy it, but once you've used that up you can change to
whichever SP you choose.

Or is it that the average user is (sorry) thick and doesn't have a clue
about changing around?

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 17th 19, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue 17/12/2019 15:43, Woody wrote:
I see today that OfCom are intending to make it an offence to supply
mobile phones that are locked to a network. Specifically this means
BT/EE, Tesco Mobile, and VF.

Strangely however I don't think that is correct unless they mean only
PAYG phones. In my limited experience of VF years ago their PAYG were
locked but their contract phones were not. EE will unlock a PAYG f.o.c
if requested at the time of purchase.

If enacted I wonder what effect it will have on purchase prices? It
baffles me that the price of an unlocked PAYG phone is so much cheaper
that the SIM-free identical phone. Agreed you have to load the new PAYG
with a tenner to buy it, but once you've used that up you can change to
whichever SP you choose.

Or is it that the average user is (sorry) thick and doesn't have a clue
about changing around?

And it has just occurred to me, what about those phones (iPhones for
one?) that are supplied to the retailer unlocked but lock to the SP when
the first SIM is installed? Hmmmm........

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 17th 19, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/12/2019 15:43, Woody wrote:
I see today that OfCom are intending to make it an offence to supply
mobile phones that are locked to a network. Specifically this means
BT/EE, Tesco Mobile, and VF.

Strangely however I don't think that is correct unless they mean only
PAYG phones. In my limited experience of VF years ago their PAYG were
locked but their contract phones were not. EE will unlock a PAYG f.o.c
if requested at the time of purchase.

If enacted I wonder what effect it will have on purchase prices? It
baffles me that the price of an unlocked PAYG phone is so much cheaper
that the SIM-free identical phone. Agreed you have to load the new PAYG
with a tenner to buy it, but once you've used that up you can change to
whichever SP you choose.

Or is it that the average user is (sorry) thick and doesn't have a clue
about changing around?

I think this is the link that Woody probably meant to include:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50823052

"Ofcom proposes locked-handset ban

Telecoms watchdog Ofcom is proposing a ban on the sale of locked
handsets, to make it easier for consumers to switch between mobile phone
networks.

It says BT/EE, Tesco Mobile and Vodafone are among providers that sell
mobiles that cannot be used with alternative operators without being
"unlocked".

This requires a code provided by the original network.

And Ofcom says "nearly half" of customers find the process difficult.

Some operators charge for the service. Tesco, for example, charges £10
to unlock a pay-as-you-go handset that is less than a year old.

O2, Sky, Three and Virgin do not restrict customers to locked devices."
Old December 17th 19, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue 17/12/2019 16:08, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Actually Charles I didn't intend to include anything. I'm on the OfCom
circulation list and got the e-mail earlier this morning.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 17th 19, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Woody" wrote in message
I see today that OfCom are intending to make it an offence to supply
mobile phones that are locked to a network. Specifically this means BT/EE,
Tesco Mobile, and VF.

Strangely however I don't think that is correct unless they mean only PAYG
phones. In my limited experience of VF years ago their PAYG were locked
but their contract phones were not. EE will unlock a PAYG f.o.c if
requested at the time of purchase.

I don't see how this works with contract phones at all

Yes if I sign a deal to pay 50 pounds a month for 24 months for an iPhone 11
(I checked) and I take out the SIM, put in a cheap PAYG SIM at the end of
month one and stop paying the 50 pounds

What are the original network going to do?

Yes they can sue me, but mobile devices are bought by transient people.
There's no guarantee that they can find me.

And as the phone isn't on their network anymore they can't block it either.

What am I missing?

tim

Old December 17th 19, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue 17/12/2019 18:02, tim... wrote:

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

That the phone is system and SIM locked?

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 17th 19, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

tim... wrote:

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

They can block it, just like any stolen phone (using the IME number I
believe which is handset specific, not network related). If you’ve taken
out a contract they will have your bank details and home address too.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old December 17th 19, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:
[...]

That's no longer true for iPhones. If supplied unlocked they remain
unlocked.

Old December 17th 19, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tim+ wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

Yep. They're chase you for breach of contract.

Old December 17th 19, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

I think that you have answered your question in the first sentence.

"I see today"...

The average user is not thick. He just cannot keep up with the current
status. He probably has more important matters to concern him.

--

Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience