Old December 21st 19, 04:46 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile,alt.comp.freeware

Default If not the default, what free Android keyboard are you using & why do you like it?

*If not the default, what keyboard are you using & why do you like it?*

A recent thread asking about Gboard piqued my interest in improving the
stock keyboard on Android 9 Pie (Moto G7), which is just so-so, AFAICT.
o What is Gboard and what should I do if it stops?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/JTIPFL2F-1I

Settings System Languages & input Keyboard & inputs
o Virtual keyboard {Gboard, Google voice typing, Simple Keyboard}
o Physical keyboard Not connected

Where there is also a "Manage keyboard" submenu, containing:
o Gboard = on/off
o Google voice typing = on/off
o Keepass2Android = on/off
o Simple Keyboard = on/off

Given I generally remove anything from Google...
o Therefore, searching for the best keyboards for Android yields...

o 10 best Android keyboards for all kinds of typists!
<https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-keyboards-198452/
o AI Type Keyboard
o FancyFey
o Fleksy
o Gboard
o Grammarly
o Hacker's Keyboard
o Multiling O Keyboard
o Simple Keyboard
o SwiftKey
o Typany Keyboard

o Best Android Keyboard Apps
<https://www.xda-developers.com/best-android-keyboard/
o Swiftkey
o Gboard
o Fleksy
o Chrooma
o Slash Keyboard
o Ginger
o TouchPal

o Five best Android keyboards
<https://lifehacker.com/five-best-android-keyboards-5922522
o SwiftKey
o Swype
o Google Keyboard
o Flesky
o Minuum Keyboard

o Top 10 Best keyboards for Android in 2019
<https://blogtechland.com/best-keyboards-android/
o Swype
o SwiftKey
o Minuum
o Flesky
o Kika
o Gboard
o Chrooma
o MultiLing

It's always interesting where & when the reviews do or don't match:
o 5 Best Keyboard Apps for Android 2019
<https://www.droidviews.com/5-best-keyboards-android/
o Gboard
o Swiftkey
o Smart Keyboard Pro
o Fleksy
o Chrooma

o 9 Best Android Keyboard Apps For 2019 For Fast Texting
<https://fossbytes.com/best-android-keyboard-apps/
o SwiftKey
o Fleksy Fast + GIF Keyboard
o Gboard
o Chrooma Keyboard
o Grammarly
o Go Keyboard
o Touchpal Keyboard
o Facemoji Emoji Keyboard
o Google Handwriting Input

Here's the count based only on those references above:
o (6) Fleksy
o (6) Gboard
o (6) Swiftkey
.... ... ...
o (4) Chrooma
o (2) Grammarly
o (2) Minuum
o (2) MultiLing
o (2) Swype
o (2) TouchPal
o (1) AI Type Keyboard
o (1) Facemoji Emoji Keyboard
o (1) FancyFey
o (1) Ginger
o (1) Go Keyboard
o (1) Google Handwriting Input
o (1) Hacker's Keyboard
o (1) Kika
o (1) Simple Keyboard
o (1) Slash Keyboard
o (1) Smart Keyboard Pro
o (1) Typany Keyboard

It seems there's Flesky, Gboard, Swiftkey ... and then all the rest.
o Hence I'll test out Flesky & SwiftKey.

But, before I do, I ask for advice from those who know more than I do:
Q: *If not the default, what keyboard are you using & why do you like it?*
--
Usenet is a public potluck where adults share useful items of interest.

Old December 22nd 19, 05:16 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile,alt.comp.freeware

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 16:46:56 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

It seems there's Flesky, Gboard, Swiftkey ... and then all the rest.
o Hence I'll test out Flesky & SwiftKey.

But, before I do, I ask for advice from those who know more than I do:
Q: *If not the default, what keyboard are you using & why do you like it?*

For those who want to download the supposed "top 3" non-google keyboards:
o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey
o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syntellia.fleksy.keyboard
o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamelounge.chroomakeyboard

Of those three, only "SwiftKey Keyboard" doesn't have ads, so, it's likely
to be the _only_ reasonable choice; but let's see.
o How to change the keyboard on your Android phone
<https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-default-keyboard-your-android-phone
1. Download & install the virtual keyboard of your choice.
2. Settings System Languages & input Virtual keyboard
3. Your newly installed keyboard will _not_ be in this list
4. Press "Manage keyboards"
5. Your newly installed keyboard _will_ be in this list
6. Toggle the newly installed keyboard from "off" to "on"
7. You may see the warning:
"Attention
This input method may be able to collect all the that you type,
including personal data like passwords and credit card numbers.
It comes from the app Fleksy. Use this input method?"
CANCEL or OK
8. Press "OK"
9. Use any app (e.g., SMS) that opens the keyboard
10. Tap the tiny keyboard icon in the bottom-right corner of that keyboard
11. All keyboards toggled on will show up in a "Change keyboard" screen
12. Choose the desired keyboard
13. Tap the keyboard you want to switch to
Voila! You've changed your default keyboard.

To return to the original or other keyboard, repeat as needed.

--
On Usenet, helpful adults pitch in to benefit everyone who participates.