Old July 22nd 03, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Q1 Figures: Orange +1k customers,Voda +76k, O2 +98k, VM +253k, T-Mob 487k

Is Orange doing something wrong ? Pricing ? Advertising ? Everything ?

Answers on a postcard to executive office please.

(Source: www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/31844.html)
Regards,
Martin

Old July 22nd 03, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Q1 Figures: T-Mob -487k , Orange +1k customers, Voda +76k, O2 +98k, VM +253k

"Ruari Callow" wrote in message
news

What are T-Mobile doing wrong, more like. You quoted the figure
incorrectly.

T-Mobile are -487k!!!

At least Orange are in the positive.

Bouyed up by more than 1k conversions to VM OVP ;-)

Real VM ARPU of £135pa was quite impressive. Better than VM OVP I bet!!!

--
Stuart

Old July 22nd 03, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Martin²" wrote in message
Is Orange doing something wrong ? Pricing ? Advertising ? Everything ?

Answers on a postcard to executive office please.

(Source: www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/31844.html)

Not very surprising considering this is the register, but the figures appear
to be wrong. According to O2 today they gained 258,000 customers in the UK
this quarter. Also I doubt T-mobile lost 487k customers in three months,
more like 48k as the register put the comma in the wrong place.

http://www.mmo2.com/docs/media/pr_210703q3.html

Regards,
Martin

Old July 22nd 03, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Martin² dropped the following pearls of wisdom:

Is Orange doing something wrong ? Pricing ? Advertising ? Everything ?

Is Orange doing anything right ? Erm... No! Except for maybe OVPing 3 for
customers heading for 3.

Although 3's figures for Q1 will be rather pants (obviously since they only
actually went live 'proper' towards the end of April IIRC and the initial
tariffs weren't attractive/appropriate for the vast majority of consumers) I
wonder what their Q2 figures will be like? The new VT tariffs have sent
everyone into a frenzy - Orange's move to unofficially OVP the tariffs is
the clearest sign yet that Orange may actually be waking up and smelling the
coffee.

Although I doubt 3's current level of uptake is significantly affecting
Orange et al too much in relative terms, I imagine they see it is only
heading one way at the moment and they are trying to stem the flow before 3
release some 'grown-up' handsets and start providing data access - at that
stage I imagine Orange will start haemorraging customers who aren't 'in min
contract' - maybe that is when they will make OVP 3 official.

--
Simon C
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"

Old July 22nd 03, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scoot dropped the following pearls of wisdom:

Not very surprising considering this is the register, but the figures
appear to be wrong. According to O2 today they gained 258,000
customers in the UK this quarter. Also I doubt T-mobile lost 487k
customers in three months, more like 48k as the register put the
comma in the wrong place.

http://www.mmo2.com/docs/media/pr_210703q3.html

Agreed that the register isn't always the most reliable source of impartial
information, but in this case they were quoting figures from VM on Q1 - I
believe the O2 figures you have shown are for Q2.

Old July 22nd 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Simon C" <[email protected] pantsbaesystems.com wrote in message
Scoot dropped the following pearls of wisdom:

Not very surprising considering this is the register, but the figures
appear to be wrong. According to O2 today they gained 258,000
customers in the UK this quarter. Also I doubt T-mobile lost 487k
customers in three months, more like 48k as the register put the
comma in the wrong place.

http://www.mmo2.com/docs/media/pr_210703q3.html

Agreed that the register isn't always the most reliable source of

impartial
information, but in this case they were quoting figures from VM on Q1 - I
believe the O2 figures you have shown are for Q2.

I am pretty sure these are for Q1, because in the financial year Q1 is
April-June, and on 02's financial calendar they list 22nd July as the date
for Q1 results. Either way VM/The reg figures are wrong because O2 has been
adding 200,000 net subs a quarter for at least a year now anyway. In fact
looking at the figures O2 are gaining more subs than VM, so I don't how VM
think they are the fastest growing network.

http://www.mmo2.com/docs/shareholder..._calendar.html

Old July 23rd 03, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Stuart" wrote in message
"Ruari Callow" wrote in message
news
What are T-Mobile doing wrong, more like. You quoted the figure
incorrectly.

T-Mobile are -487k!!!
At least Orange are in the positive.

I'm convinced, so are OCR

Bouyed up by more than 1k conversions to VM OVP ;-)
Real VM ARPU of £135pa was quite impressive. Better than VM OVP I bet!!!
Stuart

VM don't have the free Itemised bills that OVP VM have to send out
(unless you're on pay by DD)

Steve Terry

Old July 23rd 03, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Steve Terry" wrote in message
"Stuart" wrote in message

Real VM ARPU of £135pa was quite impressive. Better than VM OVP I bet!!!
Stuart

VM don't have the free Itemised bills that OVP VM have to send out
(unless you're on pay by DD)

Sorry Steve - you lost me there. What has itemisation to do with ARPU?

And do wish to speculate who's ARPU is larger - real VM or VM OVP?

Which mayy come down to how many of us have VM OVP to make all our standard
chargeable calls - and how many for other reasons ;-)

--
Stuart