Old April 12th 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default SCAM!: Another Text Message Scam!

Yet another SCAM from dodgy operators:

I received a text message from 08717501583 as follows:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE!
This is a final contact attempt.
You have important messages waiting at a Customer Claims Dept.
Expires on 13/4/04.
Call 08717501583 NOW!

IT IS A SCAM !
==============

For assistance in spotting this kind of dodgy (if not illegal) practice,
this is the standard pattern for a Scam:

1. The sender is unknown
2. It's a Premium Rate number (internet service)
3. It tries to appear importance (sometimes: You have Won! etc.)
4. It tries to create a feeling of urgency (expires etc.)

If you receive any messages like these, report them to your Phone service
provider, and to OFCOM <www.ofcom.org.uk

Old April 12th 04, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"spamtrap" wrote in message
Yet another SCAM from dodgy operators:

I received a text message from 08717501583 as follows:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE!
This is a final contact attempt.
You have important messages waiting at a Customer Claims Dept.
Expires on 13/4/04.
Call 08717501583 NOW!

IT IS A SCAM !
==============

So tell us something new

Old April 12th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Joe Joe is offline

anyone stupid enough to fall for it deserves to lose loads of money

Old April 12th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Joe Joe is offline

anyone stupid enough to fall for it deserves to lose loads of money

Old April 12th 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

the aim of the 0871 is to get round the laws of advertising 090 numbrs. When
you call the 0871 it will direct you to call 0906 121 9281 which then in turn
asks you for your mobile number and other stuff.

Dont ask me how i know--i just do?
:-)

Old April 12th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:42:34 GMT, Ed <[email protected] wrote:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:30:22 +0100, spamtrap wrote:

Call 08717501583 NOW!

2. It's a Premium Rate number (internet service)

Premium rate numbers in uk start 09 and 0871 isn't one.

Although 0871750 isn't a premium rate number, it is "expensive" at 10p
per minute from a BT line and these scams usually instruct anyone who
calls the 0871 number to call a premium rate 09 number to pursue their
"claim".

Mike.

Old April 12th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Joe" wrote in message
anyone stupid enough to fall for it deserves to lose loads of money

I used to aggree with that until I found out that very elderly people (85),
in semi-sheltered accommodation where my ma-in-law lives, have been taken in
by this type of scam...
If I could get hold of the culprits I'd break their legs...
I've advised the victims to have ALL premium rate outgoing calls barred
entirely from their landlines... IMHO there aren't any worth calling
anyway...